View Full Version : Need help with Zenith Space Command 400

tnbender
09-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Hey, I just acquired a Zenith tv. The front reads space command 400, but I believe that just refers to the remote system. I am trying to identify this set as far as a year and possibly another search term or common name for the set. Its B&W, and works. Kind of.

From the top down, I get a little over 3/4 picture. The bottom missing part is reverted and layered on the bottom 1/3 of the good visable picture. Im pretty new to this, but am capable of changing tubes and messing with the V and H settings.

Any ideas on either of these problems?

Thanks!

tnbender
09-17-2010, 12:01 PM
Also, the back model number read: B4007R

zenithfan1
10-12-2010, 09:29 AM
That looks like a '58 to me. Sounds like you need caps in the vertical, it would be best to change them all at this point and the set should work great. The remotes show up on ebay from time to time, it's the first generation, which is gold with 4 buttons. The later remotes will work, they're just not the right ones for the set. The hook with the Zenith logo that protrudes from the front of the set on the left is where the remote hangs when not in use.

ggregg
10-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Tubes and h and v settings are not going to cut it. As was already mentioned, capacitor replacement is in order. Although tubes can be an issue, most of the issues with sets brought back to life, are with capacitors and to a lesser extent, resistors.

Tubejunke
11-25-2010, 08:51 PM
I don't know if you have read any of my posts about my set that is just like yours. I got stumped on the repair a few years back and need room. I tried to give the set to a good home and nobody wanted it. So, recently I have said to myself, "their loss" and considered taking another shot at finding the problems that plague what could be a wonderful set that to me deserves some respect due to the fact that it is a remote set AND it has a 24" CRT which was not exactly common in the 1950s. I WISH that my set was as close to working as yours! Mine has new capacitors, but something else is causing vertical sweep issues and hum for sound. I am lucky that mine seems to be low use. The CRT is as bright as new and most tubes are stock. I wish you luck on yours. These are supposed to be some of Zenith's best chassis, and I can tell you that the capacitors are not hard to replace.