View Full Version : How Often Do You Change Your Oil?

Rental Limo
09-12-2010, 07:50 PM
I just came across an article on Yahoo finance saying the 3,000 mile oil change rule is now a thing of the past because of newer technological advances in motor oil quality, and engines. Dispite this article i am still sticking with my 3,000 mile oil change plan even if my owners manual tells me to change my oil less frequently. I use conventional non synthetic motor oil. As far as oil filters go i think they all serve the same purpose no matter what brand of filter you use, so i usually buy the cheapest ones i can find.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Like-the-55-Chevy-the-nytimes-3825041162.html?x=0&mod=pf-family-home

Sandy G
09-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Yeah, 2500-3K miles. Change oil filter, too.

OvenMaster
09-12-2010, 09:50 PM
3,000 miles. Dad swears by it, and our trusted mechanic advises it strongly.
Since they're Fords, Dad insists on Motorcraft filters, and usually Mobil oil.

bandersen
09-12-2010, 10:37 PM
About every 5,000 - owner's manual actually says 7,500. 15 years of hard city driving later and it's still going strong:)

bgadow
09-12-2010, 10:45 PM
In my old truck I did 3k but when I bought the one I have now I moved up to 5k. No problems at 225k. My wife had an 02 Civic and the manual called for 10k changes, which is just what she did. Seems long to me with non-synthetic, but I would defer to Honda, they seem to know engines as good as anyone.

Everything I personally own has an oil leak, so adding that new quart ever now and then should help.

compu_85
09-13-2010, 01:47 AM
I follow what the owner's manual says. My '99 VW Jetta TDI gets an oil change every 10,000 miles, 92 Jetta ECOdiesel will get an oil change every 7,500, and 91 Mercedes 350SDL gets one every 5,000. I want to do some oil analysis on that car to see if I can push that change interval out... 2 gallons of 5w40 synthetic oil + filter is $70!

I use synthetic oil in all my cars because they are turbocharged. My 99 TDI requires it, and it's a good practice for the other two. In Europe my TDI would have been sold with an oil life monitor, which figures out how much life is left in the oil automatically. If you drive on the highway you could get up to 30,000 miles on one oil change! At 255,000 miles my TDI uses about a quart and a half of oil over 10,000 miles.... not too bad. I think quite a bit of that is from small leaks, and the turbo seals starting to wear.

The 3,000 mile oil change is a complete myth. Changing your oil too often increases engine wear because the oil has a "ramp up" period before the additive package starts working its best. Changing the oil all the time means you're in the "ramp up" more often.

AUdubon5425
09-13-2010, 03:14 PM
I think the "3,000 mile" change came along with these Spee-Dee oil change places as an advertising scheme.

While I would recommend following the manual, generally I change oil on my wife's car about once a year, because she drives under 7,500 miles a year. I also do it once a year on my old cars - which probably see less than 1,000 miles a year.

On my work van I recently retired, drove it 600+ miles a week and rarely changed the oil. Had a little blow-by and I'd add a quart every two weeks. Didn't seem to hurt anything.

old_tv_nut
09-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Used to do 3000 miles, but then the '03 Marauder uses semi-synthetic and the manual AND the Mercury dealer's quick service shop insist 5000 is OK. Best is a car with an oil-quality monitor.

Not sure if once a year is the right length of time for low-mileage driving - I would go with the owner's manual if it has a time limit listed.

Stereoholic
09-14-2010, 12:35 AM
Whenever I think it needs it. The mini van I just retired to the junk yard went 29k between changes once. It purred like a kitten when I got rid of it at 226k. I only got rid of it because I didn't want to shell out $2k+ for a new brake system, intake manifold gasket, wheel bearings (w/ ABS)...

holmesuser01
09-14-2010, 08:40 AM
I change oil on my 1984 Benz 190E every 5000 or so. It has almost 250K on it, and runs great.

That said, I have a 1985 Oldsmobile Toronado that was bought new. It always had changes up until about 3 years ago every 3000 or so. It has 114K on it, and now it smokes like a train. Wondering about valve seals here?

Also have a 1983 Ford truck with a 351 V8. It has 189K on it, and it gets a change every 5-6000 miles.

Im also one that changes the transmission fluid (all vehicles are automatics) every 25K. I got almost 30K extra out of the transmission in my Olds by changing the fluid... The rebuilder said that most of these cars failed around 80K... No wonder I dont see them on the road much anymore.

grumpy
09-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Used to every 3k but about 10 years ago I started going closer to the owners manual, which is about 4-6K, depending on how much city driving.

sampson159
09-14-2010, 10:12 AM
when i was working at the dealership,(in my wrenching days),they always recommended every 2500.until the "quickie change" craze came along,most of us used the months or miles theory.6 months or 5000 miles,whichever first.i own two fords,a 2005 ranger and a 2006 taurus,i change once a year and use synthetic oil.both have over 100,000 miles and never use a drop between changes.3000 mile changes are imho a waste of good oil and money.

Kalamazoo-DJ
09-14-2010, 05:08 PM
In my opinion being MI, ASE, NATEF certified, I think it depends on the existing condition of the engine, as a new one shouldn't need it as often because of low ring /cylinder wear as compared to a higher mileage engine that has more ring/cylinder wear causing more contaminants to pass by the rings causing quicker break down of the oil. An exact mileage I dont think is so important just keeping track of it and not forgetting is the bigger problem.Todays newer engines are built with low friction materials compared to one of the 80's and down. Oils are much better, filtering is much better. Diesels will need it more often than gas but not as much as the dirty diesels of the 80's and down.Cleaner burning fuels.more efficient cooling systems also contribute to a lasting engine with fewer oil changes.Just my opinion, not law.Change it when you can remember 3,000 6,000 doesnt really matter if its a good, clean running engine to begin with.

Cruiseomatic
09-16-2010, 06:51 AM
I used to do the 3K interval but with my Silverado I use Mobil 5000 which litteraly states every 5K. The oil moniter in it is faulty. I changed the oil and did'nt reset it, 1500 miles into the new oil did it tell me I need to change it. But at 156K miles she still purrs like a kitten. I'm currently 1K miles over due and the oil is still clean. On my '89 F150 I did the 3K interval and it was driven so little it only needed changed once a year. I go by mileage, Not time. At 200K+ she still runs like new.

miniman82
09-16-2010, 08:19 AM
3,000 mile oil change rule is now a thing of the past, because of newer technological advances in motor oil quality, and engines.

The caveat here is engines, and the parts that go into them. (my first hobby is engine building)

Some background: In the past, engines had far more friction producing parts, and more oil shearing places than they do now. Things like flat tapped cam followers, old technology (high tension) piston ring packages, and rockers with no roller bearings used to literally cut the oil's molucular chains to pieces in about 3,000 miles. Now, most modern engines come from the factory with roller camshafts, special low tension ring packages, and fully rollerized rocker gear. Those kids of things put less strain on the oil, and also trasfer less heat into it, so the oil doesn't have to 'work' as hard as it used to. Also the better ring packages make a better seal on the walls of the cylinder, so less oil contamination via combustion deposits occurs. That means the engine can also run with a less viscous oil, which frees up power to make the engine more efficient. It's a vicous cycle. :D

zenithfan1
09-16-2010, 09:21 AM
When I was 18, I was ALWAYS off-roading in my '85 Chevy truck, I would change it every 2,000 miles. When I stopped going off road so much (we had a farm and sold it) there wasn't near as much dust and dirt so I would change it every 3,000 mi. I put the 350 it has now in when I was 19, way over a hundred thousand miles later it still runs perfect. It's at about 5,000 now and desperately needs changing, it's all black and smells of gasoline which is not good. The protection is cut in half when gas gets in. My '95 Caprice has the 350 LT-1 engine with 129,000 on it now. I run that between 4-5,000 mi. and it don't burn a drop between changes. I let it go to about 7,000 the last time because I was too busy and down time was spend doing other things, it was only about a half quart low. Obviously it's not wearing out anytime soon. I use Fram Tough Guard on the truck and K&N on the car. My '93 Mazda just got it's first oil change in a year :rolleyes: I'd say it went 20,000 on that oil. I just put a tough guard on that one and changed it and wow, the engine stopped knocking LOL! That car has over 300,000 on it now and still starts right up everytime I need it. I'm putting the Caprice away for the winter so the Mazda can do salt duty, hopefully she makes it through at least one more winter.

Kalamazoo-DJ
09-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Mark,

my 96 Lt-1 police has over 325,000 on it doesnt knock or smoke but has a small lifter sound for a few seconds after start up. Just watch the distributor OUch just the cap/rotor is over a few hundred dollars so keep it dry because the shutter rusts closed and the laser cant "see" the shutter to pulse the injectors or the spark. usually about $600.00 out the door for cap, dist reluctor blade and rotor. and the primary connector wires between the harness and dist is $165.00 SO.... just make a new one with same terminals for $12.95..Now do we feel ripped off yet?

AUdubon5425
09-17-2010, 02:01 AM
I found the owner's manual to a '60 Rambler today - it recommended 2,000 miles except highway/summer use - 3,000 miles.

Let me add that an oil filter was optional and I'm sure that factored into the recommendation.

marty59
09-19-2010, 12:07 AM
Rental Limo: Yes, filters may all serve the same purpose but quality can vary greatly! You can Google oil filter comparisions and see for yourself. I've cut open filters before just to see how they are made and you'd be surprised what junk the cheap one's are. If you are going to extend your oil change interval a good quality filter is cheap insurance. And stay away from Fram unless your using their HP filters.