View Full Version : GE B&W console TV ID?

jimbofish
08-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Unfortunately I didn't have my camera to get a pic of this GE TV. I couldn't read the model # on the back cover but part of it appeared to be M (or W) 870... does that jive with any GE model? I also found the following numbers in various places on the chassis's (there are two) G3U5, 24U5, WT7745. The cabinet is very thin and the metal chassis's are long and narrow (one is mounted vertically. A list of the tubes can be found here...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=315730

Style is sort of a '60s modern lowboy, walnut top and bottom and tapered legs, front legs extend all the way to the top, two 6x9 speakers on each side, controls are covered by a pulldown panel.

I've searched for hours and found nothing remotely close to this tv. Wondering if this tv is worth keeping intact or gutting for the parts.

Eric H
08-23-2010, 11:02 AM
I have a pretty good idea of the model you are talking about and yes, it should be kept intact.
It sounds like one of the GE Slimline models,

The parts and tubes used in a TV of that vintage are pretty much worthless on their own.
If there are any "Audiophile" tubes just remove them and pass the TV along to someone who wants it.
The speakers are going to be non Hi-Fi quality to say the least.

This is probably the most famous of the Slimline sets.

(Photo Edited to remove political content)

jimbofish
08-23-2010, 11:13 AM
That looks similar :thmbsp:... take off the grillcloth area below the tube, add it to both sides and hide the controls, make the whole thing lower and wider. Any idea where I could find a link with pics, maybe a catalog page?

Odd that it had two speakers on each side but not likely it was stereo.

Steve D.
08-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Think that's in SAMS folder 519-1. Probably 1960-61 model. Dual speakers would just be an added feature. Unless this was a combo unit with stereo HI-FI.

-Steve D.

marty59
08-23-2010, 12:06 PM
In the TV world of things, stereo broadcasts are really only a newer thing, even though TV audio always has been frequency modulated (FM) and mono.

Many times multiple speakers were used but on the basis of improving the existing audio and more deluxe models may even had tone control(s) and advertised themselves as having hi-fi sound.

Dinky speaker magnets and modest audio stages were common.

Eric H
08-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Maybe more like this one?

http://www.collectorsquest.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/tv60sstyle2.jpg

Or if the picture doesn't work:

http://www.collectorsquest.com/blog/2008/07/14/what-was-new-in-1959-for-1960/

jimbofish
08-23-2010, 05:42 PM
That's closer.:yes: Probably part of the same series, definitely in the right style. The TV section on those sets in the ad look like they could slide right out and be interchangeable... the one in question was more integrated into the cab... lose the wood section below the TV, add some of that gold grill stuff to each side of the tube, move the speakers more to the corners on the end.