View Full Version : Who wants to help a new museum in Phila

Dave A
08-19-2010, 10:46 PM
I got an email via ETF from a designer working on a display for a new museum here in Phila. They are looking for a working early 60's B&W console for a display of life in an apartment in early 60's Phila. 21" or so. 19" seems more likely for an apartment. If they were poor in this apartment, late 50's may do.

I know I am looking for the holy grail of a working set and am just throwing this out to see if anyone has something that is taking up space and could have a higher calling. I can arrange pickup if not 2500 miles away.

I also advised them that a working set will not continue to work daily no matter how much restoration. I am trying to steer them to a Frankenset jeeped up with a flat panel. I don't want the email when it smokes and makes the news with my name attached. But hope springs eternal.

And if you have a great 60's cabinet for donation to the Frankenset, let me know. I hope it goes that direction.

Give 'til it hurts,
Dave A

leadlike
08-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Not really what you're looking for, but I do have a '54 17" Sentinel that would work great for a flat panel Frankenset. I gave it a shot of mahogany stain and Poly. It is really shiny, but to me it looks like hell (not original looking). I think in this setup it would look okay, and I wouldn't care too much if this set didn't come back.

Dave A
08-19-2010, 11:40 PM
leadlike,

You are kind to respond and you and I will have to await the designers view. I am in touch with them and need to define this more.

They need to decide what a 60's room should be. Is it immediate 60's or what the 60's family had from the past,

Dave A

bgadow
08-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Hmmm....I have a '60 Motorola but the last time I tried it the video was dead (blank raster.)

Early this year I sold a Halolite on ebay, it must date from around '60 or so. (uses an early bonded tube) The woman paid for it but has yet to pick it up. Might make a good frankenset-unrestored/dead chassis, very weak crt, but the light works.