View Full Version : No remorse over Admiral Bakelite console

Phil Nelson
08-15-2010, 02:05 PM
As I was leaving today's Seattle radio swap, I spied this Admiral in a Bakelite console cabinet. No cracks in the cabinet, chassis looked reasonable, CRT untested, no back.

http://antiqueradio.org/art/temp/AdmiralBakeliteFront.jpg

http://antiqueradio.org/art/temp/AdmiralBakeliteBack.jpg

The owner was asking $200. Since I'm "not really buying anything" these days, I looked it over and offered $80, which the seller declined. While I stood there, someone else walked up and offered $125. The seller gave me a chance to go higher, but I said no and the other dude hauled it home.

At $80, I could have explained that it was too cheap to pass up. But we really don't have room for it, and I figure I earned at least $80 worth of Good Husband Points by not coming home with anything :)

Phil Nelson

holmesuser01
08-15-2010, 02:29 PM
I know how you feel. I recently passed on an RCA roundie in Raleigh... 5 hours from me. I did it because I have run out of room in my house. I believe that another VK'er is getting it... at least I hope he is.

After passing on the RCA, the DuMont RA-113 fell into my hands. I had to do something FAST, so I chucked several computer towers and monitors that worked, but nobody wanted. I harvested the drives and tossed the rest. The house is still full, but now, there is room for the DuMont in the house instead of my mom's lawnmower shed. Thats a good thing.

M3-SRT8
08-15-2010, 04:37 PM
They are out there. I am restoring TWO Admiral 24A12s as we speak. Both in superb shape, no cracks. One is up and running, thanks to Henri, aka TVDude1, as he troubleshooted it after I recapped it.

I literally bought them about 4 weeks apart. Couldn't pass up the second one, it was that good. Now, I have a Mid and a Late Production Chassis each, and, it's interesting to rebuild them side by side.:smoke:

M3-SRT8
08-15-2010, 04:38 PM
I know how you feel. I recently passed on an RCA roundie in Raleigh... 5 hours from me. I did it because I have run out of room in my house. I believe that another VK'er is getting it... at least I hope he is.

After passing on the RCA, the DuMont RA-113 fell into my hands. I had to do something FAST, so I chucked several computer towers and monitors that worked, but nobody wanted. I harvested the drives and tossed the rest. The house is still full, but now, there is room for the DuMont in the house instead of my mom's lawnmower shed. Thats a good thing.

There's always room for DuMont!:smoke:

Fred Olsen
08-16-2010, 10:47 PM
"I figure I earned at least $80 worth of Good Husband Points by not coming home with anything."
Phil, you starry-eyed optimist. There's no such thing; they're merely a transitory illusion born of false hope. Now BAD Husband Points - hey, they're real, and endure to the grave. ;<)
Fred