View Full Version : Consumer Reports first look at color TV

veg-o-matic
07-30-2010, 08:12 AM
From the April, 1954 issue. It's only a Once Over, but thought you guys might like to read. Don't hear too much about that Westinghouse that beat RCA to market.

veg

Pete Deksnis
07-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Don't hear too much about that Westinghouse that beat RCA to market.
veg And Admiral probably beat Westinghouse to market. Let's not forget that there are about ten times more RCA sets in hands of collectors because RCA had its 200-set 'pilot' run with the Model 5. The CT-100 had a production run of over 4000 sets. If another manufacturer of 15-in. color sets had a similar run, I'd like to know who is was. I don't believe so. I do believe that the RCA CT-100 is the first true production color television set in the world.

Pete

rcafan
07-30-2010, 11:15 AM
I believe the westinghouse was introduced in April with a first and possibly only
production run of some 600 sets. Few were sold till after the price drop. A properly
restored Westy produced an excellent picture and possibly had less problems than the CT100. A much rarer set.

bgadow
07-30-2010, 11:50 AM
I was at a local museum once and they had a newspaper clipping from '54 announcing that a local TV shop (the largest one around) had their first color TV in stock. It didn't give many details; I know they were a Westinghouse dealer in the 50s; later on they sold RCA, and may have in '54 as well...I should do more research to try and find out where it might have ended up.