View Full Version : Philco roundie

radiotvnut
07-27-2010, 04:58 PM
After over 3 months, I'm finally getting around to posting about the Philco color roundie that I brought back from SC. It is a swivel model and about all I can tell you is that the CRT is good and there is a note on the back from May, '76 stating that the yoke is bad. So, we can assume that this set hasn't seen 120V in 34 years. The chassis number is 16M91 and it's in Sam's 835-2. If someone has this Sams, I'd appreciate knowing what the part number for the yoke is and what subs will work as I'd like to secure a yoke to have on hand when I get around to restoring this set. Also, any other information on this set would be appreciated, as I've never worked on a Philco color set this old.

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/2010_0727stuff0008.jpg

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/2010_0727stuff0009.jpg

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/2010_0727stuff0010.jpg

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/2010_0727stuff0011.jpg

julianburke
07-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Not to say these yokes don't go bad, I never had any trouble out of them. If it is bad, you will have a trapazoidal picture. This yoke is the same of an RCA and other sets as many of the early 60's shared this yoke. A CTC7 through 12 RCA yoke will work nicely in this set.

radiotvnut
07-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Not to say these yokes don't go bad, I never had any trouble out of them. If it is bad, you will have a trapazoidal picture. This yoke is the same of an RCA and other sets as many of the early 60's shared this yoke. A CTC7 through 12 RCA yoke will work nicely in this set.

Who knows, I may get a surprise when I fire up this set and find that the yoke is good. Up to now, I was simply going by the note on the back; but, I also know from experience not to trust what every TV shop says is wrong. Over the years, I've gotten sets from TV shops where they claimed some major part was defective, only to find something simple wrong.

miniman82
07-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Over the years, I've gotten sets from TV shops where they claimed some major part was defective, only to find something simple wrong.

My Dad bought our first 'big screen' back in 1989, it was a 25" GE BPC set. Was a strong performer for like 12 straight years, then started turning itself on/off randomly like a ghost was hitting the power button. Local Zenith repair shop took it for a month trying to figure out what went wrong (admittedly intermittent faults are the toughest), replaceing things in the power supply, a 'weak' horizontal transistor, ect. After a month they called back saying it was fixed, and pop was happy to pay them to get it back without asking what finally fixed it. Me, being the curious young geek in the family, asked the service man what finally did it. He said (probably not expecting me to know what he was talking about) "the infrared receiving unit went bad, it was receiving signals that had never been sent!"

Total repair bill for a GE BPC set? $325.
Finding out your kid knows how much an IR module costs (about $10)? PRICELESS! :D

radiotvnut
07-27-2010, 10:20 PM
My Dad bought our first 'big screen' back in 1989, it was a 25" GE BPC set. Was a strong performer for like 12 straight years, then started turning itself on/off randomly like a ghost was hitting the power button. Local Zenith repair shop took it for a month trying to figure out what went wrong (admittedly intermittent faults are the toughest), replaceing things in the power supply, a 'weak' horizontal transistor, ect. After a month they called back saying it was fixed, and pop was happy to pay them to get it back without asking what finally fixed it. Me, being the curious young geek in the family, asked the service man what finally did it. He said (probably not expecting me to know what he was talking about) "the infrared receiving unit went bad, it was receiving signals that had never been sent!"

Total repair bill for a GE BPC set? $325.
Finding out your kid knows how much an IR module costs (about $10)? PRICELESS! :D

That was a common problem on late '80's RCA/GE sets. It's usually loose connections or bad electrolytic caps inside the MTT tuner/tuner control module. Someone recently gave me an '88 GE that was doing random crap like that. I resoldered all the plug-in connectors and wirewrap stakes inside the MTT module and that took care of it.

ctc17
07-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Pretty sure its a y109. I think moyers has them.
I would question it, they could have come up with that to get the owner into a new set rather than the repair.
Remember I came home with exact same set, mine works it just has a bad focus rectifier and horid cataract.
Fire it up and see what you get before you condemn the yoke.

I wonder how this set performs. ?

zenithfan1
07-28-2010, 12:32 AM
That's a nice looker, I have the same set in a more boring cabinet with screw on legs (one missing:mad:). Mine also has the 16M91 chassis. Not many of these seem to turn up, that should be a keeper for sure. I'll check at Chester's and see if they have the sam's for it, I need it too. If they have one I can send it to you if you wanna borrow it, I won't be getting to my set anytime soon and that should give you plenty of time.

radiotvnut
07-28-2010, 12:53 AM
Mark, I have four screw on legs that came off of a similar vintage Philco console stereo that I junked. They are wooden with gold feet. If you think you can use them for your set, I'll send them to you.

bgadow
07-30-2010, 11:33 AM
A Philco roundie (or 23v) color set is on my want list. If you were closer I'd be trying hard to work a swap!

I probably have the sams; I'll look tonight. I agree that this is probably the same yoke that was used by RCA (the chassis looks like a Philco-built clone) and that should be fairly easy to find. I'd find it hard to believe that somebody on VK doesn't have one. I sent my spare to another member several years ago.

holmesuser01
07-30-2010, 03:23 PM
I've never seen a bad yolk on a roundie. I may have one in the junk box. If you need me to look, just let me know.

Bruce

zenithfan1
07-31-2010, 07:43 AM
Mark, I have four screw on legs that came off of a similar vintage Philco console stereo that I junked. They are wooden with gold feet. If you think you can use them for your set, I'll send them to you.

That would be great Bryan, could you post a pic of them? Thanks!!:D

bgadow
07-31-2010, 10:09 PM
I do have a spare copy of the Sams, let me know and I'll mail it to you. (I should still have your address)
The yoke is Philco part #76-13258-1, Merit MDF-144C, Stancor DY-90AC, Thordarson Y-108 and Triad YC-300-1.