View Full Version : Keeping Dud CRT's

bgadow
07-23-2010, 01:28 PM
This has been touched on before, but I don't recall there being a consensus. I have a few dud CRT's up in the attic-a couple 21FJP22's, a 10BP4 or two, maybe more. Can you think of a good reason to save them? With the color tubes, if I do toss them I will remove/save the faceplates. Opinions?

DaveWM
07-23-2010, 01:33 PM
if you have a place to keep them out of the way I would keep, you never know what the future may bring. Maybe scottys gear will get setup again. Esp the roundie color tubes. One vote for keeping JIC

63bird
07-23-2010, 01:39 PM
i would take the color roundies. but seriously keep them stored out of the way.

freakaftr8
07-23-2010, 01:52 PM
I thought that the ETF was getting Scotty's gear and training? And yes, keep the dud's. There may be something that might come up and if you toss them, you could regret it in the future. One end always has a new beginning I always believe. (Of course, im speaking like a true collector/electronics junkie) lol.

radiotvnut
07-23-2010, 02:59 PM
If you have the space, keep them. Mainly because you, or someone else, might find a TV with a busted CRT and at least these duds can be rebuilt.

bandersen
07-23-2010, 03:36 PM
I thought that the ETF was getting Scotty's gear and training? And yes, keep the dud's. There may be something that might come up and if you toss them, you could regret it in the future. One end always has a new beginning I always believe. (Of course, im speaking like a true collector/electronics junkie) lol.

I just spoke with Scotty this morning. Today was to be his last, but he will be working into next week as negotiations with the ETF continue.

Adam
07-23-2010, 05:08 PM
When I moved from CA to MI, I tossed most of my duds. But now I have a dud 21YP4 and 19AJP4 sitting up in the attic (not gone to air, but super low emission). I'll probably toss them the next time I move (unless anyone wants to come get them - I'll give them away, but I'm not shipping them)

Are 7JP4s rebuildable? I have a few of those I'm holding on to, they still have vacuum, but are very weak.

ctc17
07-23-2010, 05:13 PM
I was asking myself the same exact question. I have to admit I cant see there being a need for them in the future but would hate to be wrong.

Seems like every time I toss something I need it a few months later.

radiotvnut
07-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Several years ago, I tossed a good 13" inline tube out of a goldstar set of late '70's vintage. That tube had been here for years and I thought I'd never need it. About a week after I tossed it, a TV came my way with a busted CRT and what I tossed would have worked in it's place.

miniman82
07-23-2010, 07:18 PM
This came up because I contacted Bryan to see if one of his duds could be shipped to Scotty, to get rebuilt before he closes his doors. Turns out that not only is there not much time left, but Scotty has 'tightened up' his requirements as to what tubes he will accept in his last week.

Bryan's FJP tubes may have gone to air, and Scotty has said he will not attempt a rebuild on them. The reasons he gave me were that if the tube went to air, it could have disturbed the phosphor deposits on the face. Not only that, but if the tube had developed a leak where the face is joined to the bell via frit glass, that is a repair that he cannot make.

So it's a toss up. If you currently have the money for a rebuild and your tube has not gone to air, I would take the 50/50 shot at getting a good tube done while he is still accepting them for rebuilds. If not, I would wait (as Bryan and I have chosen to do). This way if/when the gear gets set up at ETF and someone has learned 'the way', you can have better piece of mind of what you're getting into.

bgadow
07-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Since I am an incurable packrat, the tubes are safe for now! I packed them away again tonight. The one FJP I knew had leaked down. (it worked in the early 90s when I last used that set but when I tried it 10 years later all I could get were very dim filaments that quickly burned out) The other tube had a glow in the neck when I tested it last year; a re-test recently showed no filaments.

Who knows-I'll likely get out to Columbus again one of these days, and could take them out to the museum for them to practice on, if nothing else! The way I figure (and I discussed this with miniman82) if that "necked" 15GP22 could be successfully brought back to life, these should be a piece of cake!

DaveWM
07-23-2010, 09:44 PM
right, and I guess that at some time in the future these we be as highly sought after...

marty59
07-23-2010, 09:46 PM
I wouldn't keep a tube that's gone to air but a good, sealed and "stable" dud is still something to hang on to. It may have some value to someone that has something worse!

I have an NOS 10SP4 that I acquired a few years back and it doesn't cross to anything but it would be nice if it did. It's aluminized and made for electrostatic focus unlike a 10BP4. But, someday somewhere there may be a use for it so it stays...

If we don't keep this stuff, who will??

And I could understand Scotty not wanting to do something that's been a leaker, besides at this point in time. Most rebuilders in the day wouldn't settle for less than a good dud, and he has really been supportive of us and gone above and beyond.

I hope we can look forward to a successful rebuilding process at the ETF! It's our only hope now...

marty59
07-23-2010, 09:55 PM
bgadow, I was composing still when you replied with your post. Yea, I like your idea too about the possibility of donating some "practice duds"! That is a good idea!!

jeyurkon
07-23-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm glad you're keeping them Bryan. They will make for good practice assuming things get that far with the transfer of Scotty's equipment to ETF.

I'd keep the leakers too. Just because it's not practicable for a business to repair doesn't mean hobbyists can't do it as a labor of love.

John

pomponij
07-24-2010, 02:27 AM
http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/daryls_tv/index.html

I stumbled across this, apparently everything you need to rebuild CRTs... If only I had 11k to toss around what a great business to go into.

AUdubon5425
07-24-2010, 05:55 AM
I think you'd have a hard time coming close to recovering your investment. Factor in the time & expense involved moving and setting up all that equipment in addition to the $11,500 price. Heck, Hawkeye is/was a running business and they gave everything away to keep it from ending up in a dump.

kx250rider
07-24-2010, 10:17 AM
I think it's up to the individual whether or not to keep. I'm anti-packrat, so I won't keep anything that I can get one of later if needed, or that I won't need for the foreseeable future. That goes for everything from parts to clothes to furniture. If you live in a place with "unlimited" storage, you can keep everything... But some day you'll (God willing) be 99 years old, and be all worried about what's going to happen to all your precious stuff. Keeping a clean, neat and well-understood inventory of collectible TVs and parts is a good thing, as it is helpful to you in your hobby, and it won't be an emotional disaster for someone in the future to have to deal with, while thinking of your feelings if you were still there. Sorry to get deep, but I've seen what happens to collections under some circumstances.

Charles

63bird
07-27-2010, 12:49 PM
that would be cool to play with. im the type to have spares of parts even if i dont use them. well mabey the next hawk eye will open as a side job.