View Full Version : Does anyone know where to get an old Sylvania Flyback

pomponij
07-20-2010, 11:26 PM
I rescued this little guy from the trash, it will be my first linear gun Sylvania but when I was a kid we had the same model. Back then my parents' friends always complimented the picture and they would come to our house to watch movies and sports on our 19" Superset. I have always loved these older Sylvanias and mostly collect the early SS sets, however I would really love to get this guy working. It had a shorted HOT and B+ fuse, after replacement when bringing up power with the variac the flyback hums and the HV never starts to come up, I removed it and it rings out bad. The part number is 003618830003 and it crosses to a 483514067118 which sears partsdirect website shows, but after I ordered it about 2 weeks later they sent me an e-mail stating that it's discontinued. I've run into the same issue with encompass parts, who I think bought out Tritronics. I really hate to let this one go because I'm kind of nostalgic about it and I was a kid when my parents tossed our original one. If anyone knows a source for hard to find discontinued flybacks it would help me out tremendously.

radiotvnut
07-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Is that a single board E32 chassis? If so, I MAY have one.

pomponij
07-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Yes it is. I really am happy that this board exists, I never realized that there were so many people out there like me. My wife thinks I'm nuts spending sometimes many times more than some of these tv's are worth to get them fixed but like so many of you have said, there's nothing like watching movies/shows on a tv that's from the same time period as the movie was made. The picture on the older SS sets is far superior than any of the newer flat panel sets and when these sets are well maintained they can last and last. It is getting hard to find classic tube sets and early SS sets in my area, but I rescue every one that I can come across.

radiotvnut
07-21-2010, 12:25 AM
I know this won't make you feel any better; but, I just tossed an E32 knob tuned 19" Philco (same as Sylvania and Magnavox) that still somewhat played. Someone gave it to me and the cabinet was beat up, CRT was weak, it had loose connections on the chassis that looked to have had about a million hours on it, and the fine tuning gear in the tuner was busted. Still, I resoldered the bad connections, jolted the CRT, and managed to get the tuner to work on channel 3. I used that set for close to a year, when the CRT started dying again. I tossed it around the shop for a few months until I got orders to downsize.

Even though that set is gone, I think I may have a new flyback in a box that I got from a repairman. I think he said that he installed it in the set, only to find out that the flyback was not the problem and I think he put the old one back in. Even if I can't come up with anything, don't give up. E32's are still fairly common and, sooner or later, you'll find one. At one time, one of the hospitals had a load of E32 19" hospital grade sets in all the rooms and some of them were still in use as recent as the late '90's.

And, don't ever feel bad about spending more on a set than it may be "worth". The fact is that those older sets are far better than most anything made today and I'd rather spend $100 on an old set that I knew would last and could be repaired in the future than some chinese made flatscreen that will be in the dump in 5 years.

I know those old Sylvania sets had a great picture when they were working properly. My favorite models are the ones from the '70's with a delta gun CRT and the horizontal modular chassis.

I wonder if your set is a genuine Sylvania or was it built after the NAP takeover in mid '81?

pomponij
07-21-2010, 12:37 AM
I would have loved to have that Philco that you tossed... oh well. I'm remaining optimistic about finding a flyback one day. I have one of the 25" console modular delta gun GTE Supersets from the late 70's and it's my favorite set. I watch a movie on it about every Saturday night. I also have a 19" delta gun Superset as well. As for this E32 that I'm trying to get going it's got a production date of 5 '82 so it's a NAP, but like I said it's kinda nostalgic to me and I'm going to try to resurrect it. If you do come across a flyback I'd be happy to purchase it from you at whatever price you'd think is fair.

radiotvnut
07-21-2010, 11:38 AM
I think the E32 stayed in production until at least '84. That was actually a Sylvania designed chassis that was carried over after the NAP buyout. After this chassis, Sylvania branded NAP sets used a NAP designed chassis. It's sad that now, the Sylvania name is nothing more than just a name that's stuck on funai garbage.

AUdubon5425
07-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Heck, that chassis looks a lot like my 1983-84 E34 Sylvania
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3601/3472293750_54d25b7031_o_d.jpg

My control panel is the same
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3661/3471483333_a970946089_d.jpg

There must not have been much of a difference between the E32 and the E34.

wa2ise
07-21-2010, 08:00 PM
It would be a long shot, but I saved the chassis out of the Sylvania I had to scrap a few weeks ago. Its flyback is good, but may not be compatible with what you'd need. The vertical died. This below was that set:
http://www.wa2ise.com/radios/sylvaniatv.jpg

Oh, and the chassis is at my mom's in NJ in a closet, and I won't be back there until Thanksgiving.

pomponij
07-21-2010, 11:34 PM
Keep me mind when Thanksgiving comes around, I'll keep looking but in my area these are getting really scarce.

kc8adu
07-22-2010, 06:30 AM
i remember the fly being a sore spot in those.that and that 2 section can.and the startup zener and resistor.
iirc i saw one of those chassis in the barn but unsure whether its an e32 or e34.seems everyone here had one of these if they didnt have a zenith or rca.
if i have that chassis its yours for shipping.unknown condition.

freakaftr8
07-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Add Magnavox to the Funai list too...

I think the E32 stayed in production until at least '84. That was actually a Sylvania designed chassis that was carried over after the NAP buyout. After this chassis, Sylvania branded NAP sets used a NAP designed chassis. It's sad that now, the Sylvania name is nothing more than just a name that's stuck on funai garbage.

zenith2134
07-22-2010, 01:50 PM
I had one just like that...same chassis but knob tuned. It was a 1981. I recall it had a nice picture but it was rescued 'out in the wild' and was infested with ants so I got rid of it:thumbsdn:

radiotvnut
07-22-2010, 04:40 PM
No luck. The flyback I have is a used one from an E34. I don't think it would work in an E32.

pomponij
07-23-2010, 12:26 AM
I appreciate you looking for me. I have enclosed some pictures of my old flyback. the part number on the tag that looks like it was at one time attached to the flyback says 361883. Thanks again for all the help!

ed857
07-23-2010, 07:52 AM
http://www.ued.net/ued/addItems.do?itemCode=NAP3618830001

AUdubon5425
07-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Does that place rebuild them? They say they have none in stock but the price is with exchange.