View Full Version : RCA Victor CG305L B&W console

Dennman6
07-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Greetings all! On Tuesday I sent the 23ENP4 CRT out to Scotty at Hawkeye for a rebuild. "WHEN" it comes back(don't want to say "if"), I will start in on some recapping. The Sams folder is set 797, dated 2-66. This is my parent's first new set, replacing a 1950's 21 inch Zenith. I think they got it in 1965. I will use search first for any particulars I come across later. But just looking at these pics, are there any glaring issues that anyone sees need ASAP attention? Someone on the board a while back opined that after 1961 RCA didn't use a multitude of paper or wax caps in the chassis, & this set is clearly later than that. What should I look out for here? The flyback doesn't look too bad to my eyes, just a bit of drippage there. The chassis on this thing doesn't look much more complicated than a large table radio. This will be my first attempt at a TV. Also, is there a way to read a date code on this set? Thanks!

Dennman6
07-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Let's try again...

Dennman6
07-15-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm getting "upload failed" notices-gotta leave here about 6:15PM, so I'll try a few more. Keeps failing. Can't do it, will try later

ctc17
07-15-2010, 09:05 PM
That looks ok to me. Most of the flybacks I see have pools of wax leakage on the bottom of the can and still work fine.
Cathode current is a important check to keep the fly alive.

Im fighting a small color set right now I put a hawkeye rebuild in that I cant get the cathode current down on. It has a great picture but wants to eat up the new flyback
I put in it.

That set should be easy to recap and simple to work on, I have one that age and it doesnt have but a few electrolytic caps that need to be change. I just hope you packed the crt for war and insured it for a hefty amount.

With a new crt and working right that set is going to have a super awesome picture.

andy
07-15-2010, 10:17 PM
---

Dennman6
07-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Let's try smaller jpgs. Hopefully cabinet shots here

Dennman6
07-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Here are some chassis shots

Dennman6
07-15-2010, 10:46 PM
More chassis shots now.

bgadow
07-15-2010, 10:47 PM
It's strange to see a BW RCA console from that era; very similiar styling to the color sets. Once gone through, that should be a very reliable set. By then they had pretty much "perfected" things.

Dennman6
07-15-2010, 10:56 PM
Here are more chassis shot, along with controls & empty cabinet. The set was last turned on in 2006, & displayed a dim picture at mid-brightness. Full brightness gave it that almost negative image look, so clearly the CRT needed fresh guts. The UPS store in downtown Indianapolis boxed it up with "foam in place" packing(their phrase for expandable foam). If all goes well, I'll be watching crisp, clear B&W images on the same set my parents have had since I was 3 years old. Top of cabinet could be sanded & refinished, all else is reasonably good shape for a 45-year old TV that spent many years in an attic. Today it was 98 degress F up there. The TV has been out of the attic for a week now, getting close to a rebirth.

Dennis Forkel

ctc17
07-15-2010, 11:00 PM
On mine I had to change the two big filter caps. The one in the cardboard is part of the doubler circuit.
heres minehttp://boxcarcabin.com/rca-kcs-139-tube-tv.jpghttp://boxcarcabin.com/rca-kcs-139-chassis.jpg

Dennman6
07-15-2010, 11:17 PM
I usually like to put back missing pieces of wax, and seal up any cracks my carefully melting it with a soldering iron on low heat. It's not a big deal on a B/W set, but you can get some arcing or corona when the wax tire has a break in the wrong place.

Yes, I have a circa 1960-61 Magnavox that got its 2nd CRT around 1978, an RCA Silverama. It works fine, but there is some arcing. It was given to us by my Uncle Joe, who hauled it 3 hours up the NYS Thruway upside down in his Suburu Brat Easter weekend 1979. It made the trip from Schenectady to Syracuse OK, & still works well. Beautiful set in French Provinicial walnut, here's a few pics taken in 1993. Wanted to get the CRT in it rebuilt by Hawkeye too, but he closes at end of July & my money's tight right now anyway. The RCA needed more attention, so what can one do?

Dennman6
07-15-2010, 11:32 PM
CTC17, that's a gorgeous, stylish set you have! The chassis looks identical to mine, what year is that set? A little earlier than mine, I think-Sams 797 is dated 2-66 for mine, so I'm thinking it's 1965. I recognize the tuner & front fascia on that, as my Uncle Joe also brought up an RCA set with a swivel base that looked real close to yours as far as the tuner & control door below.

I especially like the clean, smooth, compact lines yours has. A mono radio-phono section? That set would be great in a corner of a den or library, all the basics are there: good B&W, AM, FM, phono. I'm feeling the cozy already! Please tell me the model & chassis number on yours. What's the CRT number for this? Looks like 3 big can caps, that silver one & black cardboard one next to it. Then that big silver one to the far left of the chassis. Care to share any service tips on this set, as this & my set look so similar.

Dennis Forkel

freakaftr8
07-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Um, yeah, that so looks like a CTC-17 bezel. Thats wild! The only differences seem to be in the knob layout. :scratch2:

It's strange to see a BW RCA console from that era; very similiar styling to the color sets. Once gone through, that should be a very reliable set. By then they had pretty much "perfected" things.

Kiwick
07-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Let's try smaller jpgs. Hopefully cabinet shots here

Interestingly, the speaker in this set is IDENTICAL to that found in many Italian Radiomarelli-WEST sets from the same era...

Dennman6
07-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Well, the first phase is completed. Scotty at Hawkeye called me today to say the CRT arrived intact-no box o' glass shards! So now we wait for the rebuilding process to commence...

bandersen
07-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Cool. He just got my 10FP4 today too. We may be the last couple rebuilds.