View Full Version : RCA B&W Combo

jstout66
07-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Saw this at an estate garage sale today, cheap. Everything works, and it's spotless. I am not a fan of B&W combos tho, but this one is pretty cool. I would say it's a 59-63 era set. Opinions?

DaveWM
07-08-2010, 03:56 PM
everbody needs at least one B&W combo to watch old programming on.

That one looks clean. I prefer models with doors to cover the screen when not in use, but I like the simple lines on that one.

Not sure of the era, but some of the early RCA tuners and amps were pretty good. I have a RCA stereo console (no tv) that came with a nice tuner including a tuning eye and a PP 6bq5 amp. that tuner is one with a VC not the VI tuner, very good for DXing FM.

ctc17
07-08-2010, 08:35 PM
a VC not the VI tuner, very good for DXing FM.

variable capacitor / variable inductor ??

Which on is better for DXing? You talking about the banana slicer vs the slugs that move through the coils?

Those are good sets, i would have grabbed it for parts.

DaveWM
07-09-2010, 07:29 AM
Zenith uses a variable inductor, and are well known for DXing, but most other use that little alum box with a spring loaded pull string (that is what RCA, magnavox, and motorola to name a few). Prettty sure its a German made tuner, and while it works fine, I dont think its very sensitive. the "distance" zentihs have a tuned RF inductor on the fron end (besides the reg osc/tuner), the little german box does not.

On the better RCA tuners there is a VC for the FM, not the little box, and it has a 3rd VC for the tuned RF front end. I have found this setup to be the best for DXing, comparable to the "Distance" zeniths.

The only thing I did not like about the RCA was the stereo de-emphasis circuit seemed to go a bit overboard, killing the highs more than the mono de-emphasis. My guess is the engineers were trying to get rid of any mpx noise.

I changed out a couple caps in the de-emphasis on the stereo and it sounds much better.

ctc17
07-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Yea, ok. Im trying to remember whats in that little box. I think it could be some kind of variable inductor setup. I tore a few of those apart years ago but I cant remember whats inside.

I just acquired a zenith portable with the 3 moving slugs. I havent been out to the desert where I could test it for sensitivity. Here in the city there is no such thing as dx, every single frequency is filled with a very hot signal. Its even tough to align radios here because there are no quiet spots.

Besides all of this, antenna is everything!

jstout66
07-09-2010, 11:23 AM
I may check late tomorrow and see if it's still there. It was marked at 25.00, but doubt anyone will get it. I'll have to ponder tho. It's 61" long. :( It is spotless tho, and sounded pretty good. It was still in use in the living room of the house if you can believe that.

DaveWM
07-09-2010, 03:08 PM
that box is pretty much just a tube, and a dual inductor with a sping and a few caps and resisotors.