View Full Version : Seeking Betacam SP or mini DV recorder (PAL)

austvarchive
07-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Hi,

Just thought i would post here as someone may be able to help

I am still not quite trusting of DVD's as an archiving format and the only fairly permanent long term cost effective alternatives are mini dv or betacam SP

Been seeking a deck of either format for a while but cant believe the prices that are being asked, like up to $5,000 for a basic betacam sp record deck!!

I know quite often places are just throwing them out as they cant be bothered getting anything for them anymore and even the small mini dv decks are dropping in value now since they dont play HDV and nobody wants them anymore.

I did pick myself up a playback deck BVW-60P for $20 a few years back! - but i need to be able to record!

Anyhow, i dont have a fortune to spend but i will pay a reasonable market value, but certainly not the outrageous prices they are currently listing on australian ebay..

if anyone can help please email me via info@austv.hostforweb.com

XDCAM
07-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Try the contact I gave you awhile back they should have contacts .If the made contact with you .

larschr
07-28-2010, 06:41 AM
Another possibility, if DVD is good enogh quality-wise, is to make DVDs and use Nero or similar software to make image files of the DVDs. You can then keep the files on a hard drive (remember to take backup!). I keep my recordings this way, and to watch them i use a CD emulator. The files can also be burned to a DVD R-disc that will exactly match the original DVD.

Dave A
07-28-2010, 11:18 PM
I have owned a bunch of NTSC mini-dv camcorders that all would record from external composite sources via a RCA to 1/8" adaptor. Just go in to the menu and tell it to use the external. Not sure about the PAL versions.

And now I know what I am going to do with a Betacam SP deck I am about to decomission. Not for sale.