View Full Version : CL Score Philco 50-702

cdmarion
06-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Just picked this one up this morning for $50. Passed down from the original owner to daughter and then son. Really nice condition.

cdmarion
06-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Yet ANOTHER tv I got F#&ked out of, on CL recently. I replied LAST NIGHT to that ad--but evidently was ignored!!

The DA rca set--the CTC-10, and now a 50-702 Philco. THREE sets I got screwed out of on CL locally--in about as many months.

I called yesterday afternoon around 3pm and the guy told me he was getting ready to leave for the rest of the day/evening. I would have owned it by 4pm yesterday if he would had been home. I called him early this morning and woke him up and was at his place one hour later. I'd say he probably hadn't even seen your email when I showed up this morning.

Eric H
06-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Very nice score Chris!
I picked up one a while back but it had been painted black!

bandersen
06-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Fantastic score! It looks to be in great condition.

Eric H
06-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Yet ANOTHER tv I got F#&ked out of, on CL recently. I replied LAST NIGHT to that ad--but evidently was ignored!!

The DA rca set--the CTC-10, and now a 50-702 Philco. THREE sets I got screwed out of on CL locally--in about as many months.

There are no CL Entitlements, he who gets there first gets there first.

This thread is not going to degenerate into another rant.

cdmarion
06-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Very nice score Chris!
I picked up one a while back but it had been painted black!

Have you got it working yet?

jeyurkon
06-27-2010, 08:16 PM
Looks good. Do you think it might have refinished by someone who knew what they were doing? It looks almost too good to be the original.

I like the depth of the finish.

Joh

cdmarion
06-27-2010, 09:25 PM
No, it's the original finish. I cleaned it with Howards Restore A Finish before I took the pictures. It looks like it has been well taken care of over the years.

DaveWM
06-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Very nice set. looking forward to some chassis shots.

Eric H
06-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Have you got it working yet?

No, but I tested the CRT in a working set, it's like new, a Tung Sol replacement tube!

One reason I haven't been motivated to work on it is the well known high voltage fade problem on these sets, I have another one with that problem.

DaveWM
06-27-2010, 10:16 PM
can you elaborate on the fade problem, I have not heard of that (but then I am new to tv's).

Eric H
06-28-2010, 12:21 AM
can you elaborate on the fade problem, I have not heard of that (but then I am new to tv's).

The 7" Philcos (except the 48-700) have a problem where the High Voltage drops off after 15-20 minutes of operation, pretty much everyone who has one has experienced the problem including me.

Some have speculated that they must have had the problem since they were new but that seems unlikely.

There was an exact reproduction made of the transformer and it had the same problem.

The transformer can be replaced with a solid state HV module but they are very expensive.

There's a thread on the problem here:

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12865&highlight=philco+fade

I think there was a more in depth thread on the subject but I can't find it.

And a page on making the SS replacement: http://www.myvintagetv.com/philco_hv.htm

Google the model number and you'll find more on the subject.

Pio1980
04-02-2023, 11:05 AM
The 7" Philcos (except the 48-700) have a problem where the High Voltage drops off after 15-20 minutes of operation, pretty much everyone who has one has experienced the problem including me.

Some have speculated that they must have had the problem since they were new but that seems unlikely.

There was an exact reproduction made of the transformer and it had the same problem.

The transformer can be replaced with a solid state HV module but they are very expensive.

There's a thread on the problem here:

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12865&highlight=philco+fade

I think there was a more in depth thread on the subject but I can't find it.

And a page on making the SS replacement: http://www.myvintagetv.com/philco_hv.htm

Google the model number and you'll find more on the subject.
Has anyone tried adapting a surplus Motorola electostat coil and circuit to these sets.

nasadowsk
04-02-2023, 06:20 PM
My understanding is that the transformer inductive coil needs to have a very high Q to make things work. I don’t know what that number is, or at what frequency. I read this in a book on TV servicing. Maybe back then, they were on the edge if what was possible, and all these years later, the coils have deteriorated.

Anyone ever try rewinding one?

dieseljeep
04-03-2023, 10:08 AM
Fantastic score! It looks to be in great condition.

I have the black bakelite model. The channel selector know is the wrong one, other than that, it's in nice condition, but it seems to have the HV fade problem. :sigh:

Tim
04-04-2023, 01:06 AM
Interesting that I have a 50-702 and there's one I restored for a friend and both do not have the fade problem. HV stays rock steady for hours. So it is possible for the parts to work if the stars all align.