View Full Version : One of my FB friends from school sent me this message

radiotvnut
06-10-2010, 12:14 PM
"I see all the posts about TV's and radios's. What is it you do with them? I have an older console TV that has been in my family since I was a baby and I am 33. It works and it is a beautiful piece of furniture but it has been passed down to me and it is currently sitting in a spare bedroom never to be used or seen. Any suggestions on what to do with it? As silly as this sounds I would be willing to give it away to someone that would take care of it. I just hate to see something happen to it when I don't remember not owning it!"

And, this was my reply:

"Most of what I obtain and fix ends up staying here and some of the stuff I end up passing along to some of my other friends who enjoy the same thing as I do and I know they'll take care of the stuff. As you can see from my pictures, I have several TV's from the '50's through the '80's and they are sets that I have either repaired, or am going to repair, just to hang on to because those are the kind of TV's that I got my start on back in the late '80's. And, I'm one who does not want a flat panel set; so, these sets that I'm hanging on to will be put to good use should one of the ones I'm currently watching blow up beyond repair. In fact, I'd be lucky to be able to give most of these old TV's away; but, it's something I enjoy and that's all that matters. As far as radios, some of those have a more widespread collector interest; but, monetary value still depends on the model and the condition.

Regarding your TV: If it stil works well and you have a place to put it, you probably should hang on to it because it's likely a much better built set from an electronic standpoint than the overpriced Chinese trash that's made today. Heck, some of it is doing good to last out the warranty and, often, repair parts are not even available. It's a crying shame when parts for a '76 Zenith are easier to find than parts for an '09 Insignia.

If you decide that keeping that TV is not an option, I will be glad to give it a home. If it gets to a point where I can't keep it, I will do everything possible to find a place for it where it will be cared for and not let it go to the dump.

BTW, I'll bet it's an old Zenith, right?"

I'm glad she's at least making an effort to find a home for her TV, as so many people my age would have smashed it and thrown out fhe remains a long time ago. I think I have 207 "friends" on FB. A minority of them applaud my hobby while the rest either say nothing at all or think I'm some sort of dork. If all my pictures and postings result in just one old piece of equipment being saved, it will be worth it.

There is another girl (through FB) who has a steel cabinet Zenith CCII at her office that's supposed to be coming my way; but, it's being used as a stand for a newer 19" set. I've found her a cart; but, she's now ignoring my messages. I just hope the TV is still there. And, I've had some more people promise me BPC sets through facebook who have failed to deliver. I just don't like it when people promise something; then, fall off the face of the Earth.

JB5pro
06-16-2010, 10:43 PM
I just don't like it when people promise something; then, fall off the face of the Earth.[/QUOTE]

I know the feeling. Seems to be a very popular thing.