View Full Version : when to stop...

DaveWM
06-04-2010, 03:42 PM
back to my latest project the zenith console which i had the convergence issues with.

Ok I have never had the chassis out of this thing, its dirty, dusty,hairy (oy vey I think/hope cat hair),old webs etc... and is working great.

I did test on cap that looked likey and old electrolytic, it tested 200uf marked as a 100uf, not leaky, but since I had disconnect one lead to test I went ahead and replaced it, but that is all.

I guess it just bothers me that its so dirty, but its working very well and I am concerned about making something worse.

I even thought the thermistor was bad as it looked broken but it tested fine.

I guess it would not hurt to give it the soft brush and vac up the dirt but I think that is all I will do. Oh and it has a scratchy volume pot and the tuner is a bit dirty, but those are not real issues.

ctc17
06-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Personally I dont clean the chassis. If the set works I leave it. I like the dusty tube look, if its to clean it looks like its tampered with.

How big is the collection now Dave? It started with a maggie bw combo and has grown....?

DaveWM
06-04-2010, 05:23 PM
lets see...

B&W
Emerson B&W console
GE B&W portable
Predicta Princess
Maggie 27" console
Maggie 24" combo (astrosonic SS tuner)
Maggie 23" combo (all tube)
Motorola (1949)
Singer tiny SS looks like late 60's
RCA 8t210 (not tested)
Crosley am-fm (not tested)
another 1949 cant remember (not tested)

Color
Zenith Avanti (SS) need to adj yoke but great pic
Sylvania combo (SS) great pic
Zenith Console (dirty)
Zenith Combo (french provincal not tested)
RCA combo ctc 17 (not tested)
RCA roundie ctc 16 (work great but need a cabinet bad termites)
Philco Ford hybrid roundie (SS RF/IF the rest tube)
Mitsubishi 25" stereo (bought this new before I was into old tvs, 1984)
13" capehart )some thing again I picked up before I was into it. think it was my 1st color tv I bought after school sometime around 1980).

I think I will get started on the zenith combo soon. that is the one with the neat hand wired SS tuner with all the plug in transistor and about 5 IF stages on the FM. It also has a very nice cabinet.