View Full Version : Interesting-Does anyone know anything about these?

pugs5061
05-30-2010, 11:49 PM
This Tv has been haunting me for a couple weeks. Does anyone know anything about it? What picture tube do you think this would need.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330423107021&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

jr_tech
05-31-2010, 12:11 AM
I don't have a schematic for that particular set, but the tube looks to be one of the very early 50s flat sided, square cornered rectangular CRTs. From the size of the set, I would guess that it is a 16" jug, likely a 16rp4, 16kp4 or 16tp4.... these tubes are fairly uncommon, but not impossible to find.
jr

pugs5061
05-31-2010, 12:30 AM
I think I'll let it keep haunting me. Its just too far gone unless its something really special. Thanx for the info.

Eric H
05-31-2010, 02:06 AM
Far too far gone to be worth fixing in my opinion.
Knobs, Yoke, Flyback cover, bad finish, busted back, missing cover plate for the knobs?
At that point in time I don't think Farnsworth had anything to do with it anymore.

Something much better will come along for the same or a little more money.

kbmuri
05-31-2010, 03:56 PM
It just misses warranting a 3-hour drive and Chicago traffic, or I'd save it myself.

It had a 16RP4 originally. A few other 16-inch tubes will interchange. I saw a few parts sets on the 2-dollar wall at the ETF this year that would donate a picture tube, and probably donate the yoke too (it's pretty generic). No reason the thing couldn't be saved. Rotten condition normally doesn't intimidate anyone here.

This TV was in production before the sale of Capehart to ITT. Dr. Farnsworth was still in charge, but not for much longer. He was more interested in radar and cold fusion by then. So you could successfully argue this TV set is a "genuine Farnsworth". The chassis is all Farnsworth designed. They just used the Capehart name because it marketed better. Capehart was known for luxury items in the 40's and had a strong customer base.

I restored one of these 5 or 7 years ago.

http://www.seniordoors.com/Kirk/Capehart325/Capehart-325-Final4.JPG

http://www.seniordoors.com/Kirk/Capehart325/Capehart-325-Final1.JPG

Mine was cleaner to start with. To my knowledge it was the only other one ever on eBay. There was another guy on this forum who claimed to have one too. First name was Ralph, but I forget his "handle". Those are the only other 325's I've ever seen or heard of. They're not common at all.

Is it "really special"? I don't know. I'd be shocked if there are 20 survivors, it has Farnsworth heritage, it's only 25 bucks, and it's a great performer when restored (particularly the audio). Those are plusses. Minuses are it's poor starting condition and it's not a roundie.

If it's too far gone, you've wasted 25 bucks that you can probably recover in the used tubes, power transformer, and speaker.

The best plus is that it "haunted" you. Enough to post about it, so it must appeal to you on some level. Go get it, restore it and you'll have something you'll keep forever and be proud of.

I don't know how to put a value on that. Eric H is probably right, something "better" will come along. If "Better" is a Motorola or RCA that everyone and their mother has. If you restore the Capehart, you'll have the only one on the block.

If that's what you mean by "really special"...

jr_tech
05-31-2010, 04:34 PM
Very nice restoration, I'm drooling over that one! :drool:

"it's not a roundie"

At least in this neck-o-the-woods, sets with these first generation rectangular CRTs are far less common than roundies from about the same era. For example, I have collected 8 - 10" round sets, 6 - 12" round sets and a couple of 16" roundies. I have no sets that use the early flat-sided / square cornered CRTs. :no:
I think that many collectors tend to overlook the differences between these uncommon early rectangular CRTs, and the later curved-sided ones that are very common.

just my 2 cents worth,
jr

David Roper
05-31-2010, 05:04 PM
This set is somewhere in the queue. I love the mask, though the surrounding material hasn't held up so well.

Eric H
05-31-2010, 05:17 PM
Kbmuri makes some good points, I guess I'm just a little jaded nowadays with trying to find unobtainium parts and dealing with bad finishes, I forget sometimes other people might enjoy a challenge like that.

I didn't know it was still Farnsworth at that time, that does make it more special.

By all means if it's near to you and you can get it then go for it, you can't lose anything for $25.

David Roper
05-31-2010, 05:31 PM
BTW the sale to ITT took place prior to this time. Dr. Farnsworth was still there--as 'VP in charge of research'. No wonder he moved on to something more challenging.

kbmuri
06-01-2010, 12:30 AM
My understanding was the sale to ITT happened in spring of 1951. The 325 is a '51 model but that means probably it was on the drawing board in the fall of '50, or earlier. The same chassis (CX-33) is in some '50 model year sets -- the Howard Sams Photofact (112-3) for it is dated 11/50. I think that was safely before ITT got involved. David, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think the ITT influence really became apparent until around 1954, but that's just my personal take. Capehart stuff got really wierd around then, but didn't REALLY suck until the '60s.

David, NICE model 332! My turn to drool. I've seen about ten of them, still way less than I've seen RCA 621TS's or CT-100's. For what it's worth.

jr_tech, great point about the square-corner CRT sets. You don't see them often. I think they're an overlooked breed, too.

pugs5061, if you do tackle this one, people here are friendly for the most part and will help you find the unobtanium. Or enjoy the challenge of finding it yourself. There have been 3 cover plates for the front controls for sale on eBay in the last couple of years, around 15 bucks each as I recall. The knobs are a bit of a challenge, but I've seen a few in "box-o-knobs" auctions on eBay too. The other stuff should be easy. Yoke and tube and then capacitors and resistors. Any set is hard work to do right, this one is 20% harder but not impossible, by any means.

kbmuri
06-01-2010, 01:49 AM
Oh, BTW Dave, also I was able to perfectly repair that brown mask material that's peeling on your set, using this product:

http://www.plaidonline.com/productDetail.asp?itemID=4013&productName=&Cat1ID=&Cat2ID=&Cat3ID=&brandID=36&keywords=&New=False&Closeout=False&HotDeal=False&page=3

I bought the "licorice" color too and mixed a tiny amount of it in to get the exact shade of brown. It dries darker so I did a lot of test paints on plain glass 'til I was satisfied.

Peel ALL of the old brown off with a razor bade (carefully salvaging the gold trim only). Mask just inside the gold trim with blue masking tape (don't put the tape ON the gold or you'll risk peeling it off when you remove the tape), spray the enamel paint on back until an even, wet (but not pooled) coat is reached, using a 20-dollar hobbyists airbrush available at any crafts store. Painting the brown over the gold will also secure the gold if it's flakey at all. Let dry 30 min or according to instructions on bottle for multiple coats, then repeat about 6 coats. It dried rock hard and has lasted several years (for me) with no apparent defects. It is completely indistinguishable from original.

And just for fun:
http://www.ioffer.com/i/vintage-capehart-332-tv-with-cherry-console-cabinet-old-73366586
with the obligatory fish-tank threat.

John Marinello
06-01-2010, 08:24 AM
The auction is an OBO.

The roundie version (16GP4) might still be available in Chicago (see pic):

Gold Coast Gallery
3250 N. Lincoln Ave.
Chicago, IL 60657
773-327-7600

I also know of one other roundie twin, located in Milwaukee.

bandersen
06-02-2010, 12:05 AM
The auction is an OBO.

The roundie version (16GP4) might still be available in Chicago (see pic):

It probably still is. I could go and check if anyone would like to know - it's only a couple miles from me. I passed on it because of the chip in the safety glass and the gouges in the cabinet.

If anyone is really serious about restoring the set that started this thread, I do have a spare yoke and focus coil for a 16KP4 from a Motorola set. Possibly, I could be persuaded to supply a 16" CRT as well. They are somewhat scare as stated earlier so I don't want to let them go if they're not going to be used ;)

I could go take a look at this set for someone too if the seller is willing. I'm fairly close to Midway. I'd like to see someone save it.

bandersen
06-30-2010, 12:52 AM
Looks like that set is gone from eBay. Maybe someone hit the BIN option ?

Here's a similar one in better shape and for more $$
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Capehart-332-TV-Cherry-Console-Cabinet-Old-/380247152420

"The Cherry Cabinet can also be retro fitted with a LCD TV, or fish tank...that's right FISH TANK!"

:sigh: :no: :tears:

WISCOJIM
06-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Looks like that set is gone from eBay. Maybe someone hit the BIN option ?

It's been relisted: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330447561537

Reece
06-30-2010, 03:39 PM
"Fish Tank!" Aaarrghh! However, "the speaker do [sic] work."

bandersen
06-30-2010, 03:41 PM
It's been relisted: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330447561537

"This listing () has been removed, or this item is not available." :scratch2:

ChrisW6ATV
07-05-2010, 04:27 PM
The link above is bad because it is abbreviated. If you click the original Ebay link, it has a link to the new listing. Here it is directly:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330447561537

Even though my link text above is abbreviated as well (by Videokarma), the actual content is not, and it will work.