View Full Version : Late 60s Chrome Zenith

bandersen
05-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Wow! I've never seen one of these before - that's really wild.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/clt/1753236409.html

(no affiliation)

Adam
05-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Never seen that one. He says '69, but the control door on the side looks just like the one on my '74, at least as far as I can see in those pictures. No trips out to Chicago for me in the near future, but I hope someone gets that just so I can at least see better images of it.

drh4683
05-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Oh man, I've been looking for one of these FOREVER! This is a super rare set, zenith made some limited production chrome cabinet table sets in 1973-74 as proof in their brochures! I don't think its a '69 as if it was, it would have a motor drive turret tuner and you'd see the tuner knob sticking out the back if it was. This is a varactor motor drive tuner set from '73-'74 and would have the horizontal solid state chassis.

AUdubon5425
05-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Yeah Doug, you need to jump on this one!

ctc17
05-23-2010, 05:20 AM
That would look so good with my 60s chrome Fantasia fiber optics lamp on top

Username1
05-23-2010, 09:24 AM
The back of that tv looks like the one on the odd couple, don't it?

kx250rider
05-23-2010, 01:04 PM
That's probably a 25DC56 or 25EC58 chassis, although it could be a 4-tube hybrid. I can't see the tuner.

Charles

zenithfan1
05-23-2010, 03:20 PM
This is the reply I got from the seller:
sorry, having second thoughts - definitely want to make a good placement for it, have always loved this tv... also, it seems to have an asking price that is rather too low.

Geez. another CL flake.....I guess if you were to offer a high dollar, he'd sell it.

drh4683
05-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Hey Mark,

Don't feel bad, I also got the same BS reply from the guy. You and me probably were the only ones who asked about it and now he probably thinks he has gold.

Oh well, just your typical greedy moron, hes all about "giving it a good home" like thats more important than making money until more than one person wants it, then all of a sudden its "Oh, I should keep it cause it must be worth something".
The day will come he'll try to sell it again and people like us won't be here to see it and he'll realize nobody wants it cause it has no value. It'll end up getting thrown into a dumpster when he needs to move and some kid will find it and smash the hell out of it to finalize the deal.

radiotvnut
05-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Yeah, people like him really burn me up. If you were to offer him $500, he still wouldn't sell it because in his mind, your $500 offer would be too low for a TV that may be worth $5000. I hate it for us; but, it would be good enough for the greedy SOB if he ended up having to throw this TV in a dumpster due to lack of future interest.

I don't even like to place "wanted" ad's on CL and in the paper because that worthless junk that someone has in the closet or basement suddenly becomes priceless once a person shows interest.

sampson159
05-23-2010, 07:02 PM
never saw one of these but heard about them.nice,rare,but again,a flake putting a feeler out.if it works well,i might go 100.00 on it.tops,no more.the good home thing is used to build an interest.he could care less who gets it as long as he gets top dollar.anytime i hear that one,i know its just the money.i personally love to dicker.its the best part of this hobby.i do hope someone here gets it.maybe a good home................anybody in this forum would give it a good home!

drh4683
05-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Yeah, people like him really burn me up. If you were to offer him $500, he still wouldn't sell it because in his mind, your $500 offer would be too low for a TV that may be worth $5000. I hate it for us; but, it would be good enough for the greedy SOB if he ended up having to throw this TV in a dumpster due to lack of future interest.

I don't even like to place "wanted" ad's on CL and in the paper because that worthless junk that someone has in the closet or basement suddenly becomes priceless once a person shows interest.

Yeah I couldn't agree any more. I dealt with a scammer like this a few years ago on craigslist. He had a really cool space command 600 table set that he claimed was "$50 just want to see it go to a good home etc". Well I emailed the guy right away and all was going well until I said I'd give him the $50 for it when I picked it up. Then all of a sudden "oh, wait, did the ad say $50? that was wrong". So then the guy tells me he wanted $100 for it instead. I agreed to pay it and then automatically he changed his mind as it was "a special TV that was in the family and I shouldn't sell it now that I think about it" and I never heard from him again. I even emailed him asking if he'd still reconsider selling it and what he really wanted to get. He blew it off and Im sure the TV has been thrown into a dumpster by now, that was quite a while ago, almost 5 years I'd say. That set was nice though, a full sized steel cabinet set.

You're basically dead in the water dealing with morons like this, just because some slight interest is generated, they think there is some big market and they can get top dollar. The fricken guy selling this chrome set is up in Kenilworth, so hes probably richer than hell.

marty59
05-23-2010, 09:57 PM
Years ago, my first job was being a Busboy at an ex-Black Angus resturant that turned into an all you can eat place. Over the Bar area was one of those 73-74' Chromacolor Chrome Cabinet Zeniths with the Space Command of course.

Just how often would you have ever thought you would see a chrome cabinet TV? Only one for me and I do remember it looking pretty good but at that time it was still relatively new..(and I was much younger!).

veg-o-matic
05-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Friends of mine had a similar model. Chrome cabinet, but it was more massive than this one, much more a console. It had Space Command, which I remember because it was the first remote control I ever used. This would have been in the mid '70s.

veg