View Full Version : Just got an RCA VLP-970 vcr!!

rca2000
05-18-2010, 09:26 PM
This is a RARE VCR, as it is the LAST portable VCR RCA made, AFAIK. After that--it was all camcorders. And--probably the best too. It does NOT look like a "portable, as it is a "dock unit AND a front loader--and unless one looks at it closely--it looks like an "oridinary" VCR. Looks like a 1986 model, and I think they cost more than 1k then too. 5 video heads and HI-FI, when that was still a "top feature", and OSD too. And I think it is a Hitachi made unit--and of course--made to last, as it has till today. I have LONG wanted one, but they rarely showed up, and always went quite high, until now.

Anyway--I got it pretty cheap--about 30 or so. Comes on and such, but will not load a tape all of the way. I hear a "screecheing sound"... the telltale sound of a bad loading belt.

Anyone know what belt kit this VCR uses, and /or sizes of them, cassette load, tape load and capstan and such?? I DO plan to get this working and USE it, too.

Blast
06-23-2010, 08:13 PM
I worked on a LOT of VCR's and camcorders in the late 80's and 90's (and a lot of those were RCA) so I went back through my database. It appears that I looked at about a dozen VLP900's in my career but only one VLP970 (in '97). The $170 estimate to repair it was declined. I'll bet that unit sold closer to $1500 than it did to $1000 in '86.

V meant 'video product', L was the model year ('85), P meant portible (as opposed to T for table top). The higher the 3 digit number usually the (edit: number of features/higher price point). The first digit of the serial number is the year manufactured and the next two digits reflect the week of the year it was made.

But anyway, as far as the belt I would imagine the 970 deck would be the same as a 900 but I can't be 100% sure about that. The loading belt for a VLP900 was a 164425 (20 years ago). Good luck finding that now. You'll probably have to find a generic belt to fit. I'm thinking there is only one belt in that deck (the loading belt). The capstan motor was separate from the idler motor so no belt there. And the cassette lift is mechanical so no motor or belt there.

As long as you're replacing the load belt you should replace the idler. If the rubber is shot on the belt it will be shot on the idler, as well. You'll need a small hex wrench for that. I don't see the part number in my notes database (like it would do you any good today).

Yes, the 'L' line was the first year for the all-in-one 'camcorder' (the CLR200). Just like your 970, the CLR200 camcorder was made for RCA by Hitachi. I believe that was also the last year for the camera that plugged into the portible recorders (the CLC025). The 'M' line ('86) had no separate cameras and portible VCR's- it was the first year for camcorders only.

Anyone that thinks camcorders are expensive today should go back and look at the prices of all those items when new!

Barry777
06-26-2010, 07:28 AM
You can find belts and tires at www.studiosoundelectronics.com They have a great cross reference service - if you tell them the model, they will hook you up with the correct generic replacements. Might as well replace the pinch roller too, then you'll have all new rubber. They are also about the only place for dedicated VCR tools these days - the tiny Allen wrenches, guide post and A/C head adjusters, even that VCR tool kit you used to see all the time in the 80's.

Blast
06-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Yeah! Studio Sound. I just ordered a CD load belt and a belt kit for my TV/VCR. They know their stuff and how to get an order out the door, too!
The OP will most likely have to use a generic belt. I wonder what he will do about the idler???
Where DID the OP go, anyway? :dunno: Don't you hate it when that happens? :yes:

rca2000
06-29-2010, 09:37 PM
He is still here --the "OP" as you call him.
he just does NOT have a lot of time anymore. MANY of the post from "him" are done at his JOB, on his breaks--etc.

And "HE" DID go to SSE, and got him a FULL rubber kit--for this 970, and it should be coming soon, to get 'er going again.

rca2000
01-26-2011, 09:21 PM
I forgot about this--a lot going on since then.

Anyway--the belt kit did come. it seems that this vcr uses a gear idler, and it was in good shape. I replaced the belts and the pinch roller--and the vcr works now. It is in service--I use it for a "Pass through" to run the tv/dvd/vcr video to my STA2200, and sometimes use the VLP970 as a VCR on its own. It works pretty well now....and probably will for the foreseeable future.

AUdubon5425
01-26-2011, 09:29 PM
You know, I have an RCA catalog from the mid-80's and remember seeing the 2-piece units in there. I'll dig it out and make a scan sometime in the next week.