View Full Version : The TV's people give away!

Zenith26kc20
05-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Here it is, fresh from the van! Only thing needed was a set of batteries for the remote! KV-32HS510! All functions work fine. They replaced it with a...... DYNEX! Tomorrow I go and get the other (it's twin) at the brothers house! Both are in working condition! Makes one wonder what people think!
And by the way, it is HEAVY (176.5 lbs)!:banana:

rpm1200
05-11-2010, 04:09 PM
What a great score! I always liked that style of Wega. Just checked the manual on the Sony site and that TV sure is loaded! It has a DVI input with HDCP - that must be really rare on a CRT set. If you get an HDMI to DVI cable (about $10 or so on eBay) you will be able to hook it up to a Blu-Ray player and get full 1080i or 720p quality no matter what happens. (They are making noise about eventually turning off the analog outputs for HD quality on future Blu-Ray discs to prevent piracy. Stupid idea, you can already get ripping software that clones Blu-Ray discs, this would only punish those of us with HDTVs with no digital inputs.) You also get a Memory Stick picture viewer and Favorite Channels with PIP preview. The only missing feature is an ATSC tuner but I suppose you would not be getting these TVs for free if it had one!

Hope they enjoy their new Dynex and its picture quality... sure it is better than this Sony and it will last much longer... and I have a bridge to sell you too...

radiotvnut
05-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Hey, it's over 2 years old; so, they probably considered it obsolete and an embarrassment to have such an outdated TV in their home. Oh well, if it weren't for people like this, we wouldn't get near the amount of stuff to play with.

An older couple that I know had a 15+ year old Sanyo that saw use for 12-14 hours a day. Their kids bought them a 37" Dynex LCD for Christmas. I'm glad they took out the extended warranty b/c it crapped out after two years of use. And, the needed parts to repair it were NLA; so, the store gave them their money back and they bought a 42" Insignia TV. I'll bet it will be out in two years (or less).

freakaftr8
05-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Thats a good set and I had a 36" version of that puppy I gave my brother. He dropped it down a flight of carpeted stairs and stll has an excellent picuure and the aperature grille stayed intact. Lucky dawg!

jstout66
05-11-2010, 08:57 PM
NICE!!!!
I just got a freebie the other day as well! A 32" JVC I'Art.
Model Number AV-32F485. But geezz... I thought console TV's were heavy..... I'm still sore moving this one.

freakaftr8
05-12-2010, 12:52 AM
And the CRT sets will go and go while 2 years into an LCD people are going to be all "What! Why is my tv dead" While PS caps are dying the moment thay unwrap the plastic and power it up.

AUdubon5425
05-12-2010, 02:47 AM
Awesome - that's probably the only modern TV I'd buy. I passed on a circa 27" Wega a few months back.

Jeffhs
05-16-2010, 01:29 PM
And the CRT sets will go and go while 2 years into an LCD people are going to be all "What! Why is my tv dead" While PS caps are dying the moment thay unwrap the plastic and power it up.

I have two analog CRT TVs, a 10-year-old RCA CTC185 XL 100 (19") as my daily watcher and a 14-year-old Zenith Sentry 2, currently not in use, in my bedroom, both table models. Both sets work amazingly well for their ages. The RCA fell off its stand last year but still works, the only damage being a slight bend of the shadow mask in the CRT, which I repaired by means of a couple of sweeps around the screen with a magnet from an old loudspeaker. The TV has been working great ever since, having had only one repair, when the RF port to which the cable connects snapped off the tuner PC board. The Zenith set has had no repairs whatsoever, and still gives the same great Zenith picture as when it was new in 1995. This amazes me, as 1995 was within the time frame (1990-'98, IIRC) during which Zenith CRTs were failing at an alarming rate. I must have gotten a set with a good tube, as it has given me absolutely no trouble so far.

Flat-panel TVs are good, I guess, but they have shortcomings, not the least of which is their fragility. Whereas one can strike the screen of a CRT TV (accidentally or otherwise) and, as a rule, no damage will result, a flat panel will be destroyed instantly if anything strikes it or if the set falls off of or is pushed off its stand. I don't think the brand matters; a $3000 Panasonic "Viera" 60" FP is just as likely to be destroyed if it falls to the floor as is an under-$200 no-name import--that is, unless Panasonic and other well-known TV manufacturers are now, 15 years or more after the introduction of flat panels, building their sets with more weight in the base, so they cannot be accidentally tipped over or pushed off a stand. In fact, I would hope that these $3000 FPs are being built so as not to be easily damaged; after all, no one likes the horrifying sight of a $3000 TV lying on the living room floor with the screen smashed to bits.