View Full Version : Renting Out A Vintage TV

AUdubon5425
05-05-2010, 02:45 AM
So a local movie studio wants to rent one of my console TVs for a one-day shoot. The girl asked me how much I wanted. Has anyone ever done this before? I have no idea what to ask; I'm not looking to make a killing, just don't want to come across as naive (but I guess I am :) )

sampson159
05-05-2010, 07:32 AM
i have done this before myself.they offered 100 dollars or your name on the screen.being jewish,i opted for the money.
the set was used in a movie shot here in columbus about jesse owens.i worked in the fountain beverage business and we rented them a vintage system too.oh,did that junk leak!all over.my bendix set came back nice and clean.they were very good to us.no horror story to report.

leadlike
05-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Someone here or on ARF did this for two Oliver Stone movies. The first was JFK, and the tv was featured in a scene where Oswald runs through a home. It came back clean. He next rented a tv for Stone's Natural Born Killers, and it came back crushed and covered in fake blood (If you've seen this movie, you'll know it's not very surprising that would happen).

The lesson here is that your rental fee will basically be what you want for the replacement value of the set. Just something to keep in mind.

Bill R
05-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Be sure to get all the details in writing up front. Be sure to include a clause about the returned set condition, just in case it gets crushed and covered in fake blood. That way if all goes well you can make a little cash, and if it goes wrong they can pay a pre determined price for the set to replace it.

AUdubon5425
05-06-2010, 02:34 AM
Well, I spoke with the lady and found out the movie had completed filming - they wanted an old set to use in the credits. I emphasized that the set they wanted to use (my CTC-11) was the most expensive to repair or replace of them all, and that I was very concerned. The man who came to pick up the set took a regular van instead of having a delivery truck come "as usual" because they didn't want the set getting jarred and bounced around. He admitted that he wouldn't rent anything to a crew filming scenes, but re-emphasized that they were simply setting this up in a studio to shoot for the background of the credits - I think the movie trailer is going to play on the screen of the set (through editorial magic, they said they were not interested in powering up the set.)

They guy also mentioned they had used five or six sets from the 50's & 60's in the movie, and one was leather covered (maybe vinyl.) He said they had not been able to find anything with legs though.

Both of them were very nice and appeared to take my concerns for the safety of the set seriously, so we'll see what happens. If I had a bad feeling I would not have let it leave home.

JB5pro
05-18-2010, 05:46 PM
Would it not be appropriate for the renter of precious things to require being paid not just for use of set but also for transportation and to be present at all times to not only protect the set but assist with anything related?
What a shame to allow people to risk harm to things that are so valuable without complete responsibility in every way including paying top dollar for repairs or replacement. Especially a great shame considering the renters have budgets that allow much more than most would ever believe and usually pretend to care knowing that if they say: "I'm so very sorry..." etc. with thier ever-ready to pose face of genuine sincerity that "our kind" of folk will actually believe it.
When people that can afford to pay do not pay for thier mistakes the intentions are obvious.

AUdubon5425
05-19-2010, 03:13 AM
Well, everything turned out alright.

zenithfan1
05-20-2010, 06:08 PM
I'm glad you got your set back in one piece! What kind of set did ya let 'em rent?

AUdubon5425
05-21-2010, 02:25 AM
The CTC-11. They did chip off a few small pieces of veneer when they lifted it - I was afraid that would happen. It already had a few pieces missing.

I was surprised to receive a follow-up call a couple of days later asking if the set came back unharmed.

zenithfan1
05-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Ouch! too bad about the veneer, but at least it wasn't perfect to begin with. Although, I can't say that I wouldn't have ripped 'em a new one if it were my set. Damage that was there when I get something is tolerable, but it drives me absolutely nuts when new damage occurs. I'm weird:D

holmesuser01
05-21-2010, 11:51 AM
I loaned my CTC-10 RCA for atmosphere in a local museum set a few years ago, along with a funky '50's floor lamp. The museum picked up everything, wrapped it all up, and was very careful with everything. This was a 4 day show, with the TV operating for 4 hours a day playing a 4 hour long videotape of old soap operas that I supplied. The set ran without a hitch. Same for the lamp.

When the exhibit was over, they shoved the TV into their warehouse and shoved the floor lamp into the side of the TV causing 3 good chunks in the veneer. Damaged the set with my own lamp! They didnt want to return the set and lamp to my house. After lots of hollering, I got the stuff returned.

The guy that used my stuff for his set was horrified that this had happened, as we are old friends. The museum officials were not interested in making anything good, so I've never let them use anything again.

JB5pro
05-26-2010, 04:52 PM
I loaned my CTC-10 RCA for atmosphere in a local museum set a few years ago, along with a funky '50's floor lamp. The museum picked up everything, wrapped it all up, and was very careful with everything. This was a 4 day show, with the TV operating for 4 hours a day playing a 4 hour long videotape of old soap operas that I supplied. The set ran without a hitch. Same for the lamp.

When the exhibit was over, they shoved the TV into their warehouse and shoved the floor lamp into the side of the TV causing 3 good chunks in the veneer. Damaged the set with my own lamp! They didnt want to return the set and lamp to my house. After lots of hollering, I got the stuff returned.

The guy that used my stuff for his set was horrified that this had happened, as we are old friends. The museum officials were not interested in making anything good, so I've never let them use anything again.

I do NOT take pleasure in saying "I told you so" or being negative in any way as well as coming across as some sort of jerky "know it all" as some apparently percieve and thus treat me as though I am some sort of bad person, etc.
The whole reason I speak of true things even if they don't sound all rosie and clown happy is too help others avoid the same old thing over and over again of being taken advantage of and disrespected in every way. This example completely proves my previous post here that was ignored by way of not commenting further and certainly I will never get a thank you.
It's quite fine... I am very well used to it :)
If I had been treated like that by my friend's museum "officials" I would feel like a real idiot for not getting properly compensated at the very least. It really bothers me(quite obviously...hmmmm?) to witness good people being taken advantage of. It is wrong and a doggone shame.

My motto is: "Forgive and forget... let the greedy have all they can swidle u out of... they will pay later... is that karma?"

Eric H
05-26-2010, 09:57 PM
I've never loaned or rented a set for exactly this reason.
If I did I would probably insist on a deposit for the value of the set to be refunded minus damages, if any, when the set is returned.

The main thing is I just couldn't stand having a rare set damaged, so I probably wouldn't loan out anything unless it was very common or unrepairable to start with.

AUdubon5425
05-27-2010, 02:27 AM
This example completely proves my previous post here that was ignored by way of not commenting further and certainly I will never get a thank you.
It's quite fine... I am very well used to it :)

I wouldn't take things so personally - I started this thread and by the time you offered your advice my set was already gone.

Regardless of how precious or priceless anyone thinks a TV is, the studio gave me fifteen times what I paid for it to borrow it for a day. I'll swallow a few more veneer chips for that kind of return on my money.

Now I like the set a huckuva lot and it has a permanent loving home here (at least until the next Katrina comes, and no, I won't be trying to hoist a CTC-11 into the attic.) But I think we have to keep everything in perspective.

JB5pro
05-27-2010, 04:19 AM
I'm just a frustrated idiot with nothing constructive to do with my time... you must forgive since I am your brother.
Every now and then I may have someth'n worthwhile to consider and I am available to help anybody personally here in S.E. Fla if ever needed. Need I mention many here get a chuckle if only at my expense... prolly not.
My entertainment is always free since nobody in their right mind would pay for it :)

holmesuser01
05-29-2010, 12:07 PM
My tale of woe happened in 1986.

My friend that produced the exhibit can use anything of mine that he can use. He has borrowed some really OLD stuff, and it always comes back fine.

BUT, we have never let the museum use anything of mine since. I'm not holding a grudge, but the same people are in control there, and I doubt that they have changed their ways. I do know that a nice PA speaker that they rented went back to its owner with a big hole in the cone.

I'm having a wonderful weekend here in western NC. It's sunny and not too hot. I'm getting a refridgerator ready to move into the house this afternoon, and then, I will be working in my workshop on my new (to me) Century SA 35mm movie projector and lamphouse. Before the weekend is over, I hope to see an image on the screen!!!