View Full Version : The "mystery" craigslist TV has been saved!

drh4683
05-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Earlier this afternoon, I called up the guy out in Marengo, IL who had the oriental cabinet roundie that we were trying to figure out. Marengo is about 35 miles northwest of me, so I stopped out there after work to check it out with intentions to buy it whatever it was.
It turned out to be a 1963 RCA Victor model 14 G 912 MV, the "Canton" with the CTC-15E chassis. This TV is about as mint as they come, it appears to have NEVER been serviced, 100% original and its super low hours. It does work, it just needs some adjusting and tune up, the CRT is strong. Its got the 21FJP22 with some cataracts going on.
I was amazed that all the tags and labels are still bright white, they haven't yellowed and deriorated in any way like so many have, such as the tube layout diagrams. The wires are bright clean and gunk free which is another first. This TV basically never aged which is amazing. The chassis is just a little "powerdery" which is just some zinc oxide from the plating.
I'm glad to have this one as part of the collection as its the comparable model to the Zenith oriental console I have, and both are 1963 models.

The guy who owned it, Vito, told me all about the TV. It was his parents, they bought it brand new in '63. He said that mom and dad were making big money and doing well back in the 60's, they owned a night club in Melrose Park back then and they had plenty of money, they bought only the best of the best and took excellent care of everything. They had a very large home and this was in the front room for more or less decoration and it was hardly ever used. They were not smokers of course, and their son (vito) has had it for about the last 15 years when they left Melrose Park, and he kept it upstairs with a towel on top to keep it from getting scratched. He had a bunch of vintage furniture too that was theirs. He was selling everything off to make room to move into an apartment as he was going through a divorce and needed everything basically gone.
Fortunately, I was able to save it, as I kid you not, he really did tell me how he "really wanted to make it into a fish tank, or even an LCD TV cabinet". He really didn't care about the significance of the TV for what it is. It was clearly the case of the TV only being saved all these years because it was in such a nice cabinet.

I was ready to pay the $200 for it when he asked if I could any way help him move some furniture into the storage box he had dropped off in his driveway. "Sure no problem" and so I helped him move some large peices and he knocked $50 off the set for my help.

We loaded up the set and it came home covered in blankets. This is one of those sets that you don't want to touch as nobody ever had their hands in there messing things up. That Zenith chinese set was the same way. I took about 20 pictures of exactly how the wires were before I pulled it apart to fix the CRT. This will probably be the same deal, but I won't be able to work on it for a while.

RCA really put out a top notch product with this set. The cabinet construction is outstanding. A special thanks goes to bandersen for posting the link so it could be saved!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ta1B_ryr8bE/S9-FI7yBFeI/AAAAAAAABeM/fYdfH9g7LeE/s800/DSCF3271.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ta1B_ryr8bE/S9-FadF84LI/AAAAAAAABeo/P_dli20FffE/s800/DSCF3263.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ta1B_ryr8bE/S9-FqGYMo1I/AAAAAAAABfE/plhIm7G1LQ0/s800/DSCF3264.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ta1B_ryr8bE/S9-HS697FHI/AAAAAAAABhE/cT8mFOHK-iw/s800/DSCF3220.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ta1B_ryr8bE/S9-HLGT0CxI/AAAAAAAABhA/Z3tW8kuQ0Bg/s800/DSCF3222.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ta1B_ryr8bE/S9-HdNEb1mI/AAAAAAAABhg/8wF6RuO70XE/s800/DSCF3217.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ta1B_ryr8bE/S9-GGokqAzI/AAAAAAAABfg/cJadCdiOKzw/s800/DSCF3232.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ta1B_ryr8bE/S9-GPzssmuI/AAAAAAAABfk/JmLTuT2Y2BI/s800/DSCF3233.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ta1B_ryr8bE/S9-GgqYjXYI/AAAAAAAABgA/LCoW7bzetdQ/s800/DSCF3244.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ta1B_ryr8bE/S9-Gt1QhxSI/AAAAAAAABgE/ShsydqBVlc4/s800/DSCF3254.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ta1B_ryr8bE/S9-G2Sdk3yI/AAAAAAAABgg/DfeJNHfmrWI/s800/DSCF3253.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ta1B_ryr8bE/S9-G81eHZVI/AAAAAAAABgk/_mcGUSEp2Qc/s800/DSCF3251.JPG

DaveWM
05-03-2010, 10:11 PM
GREAT!!

:banana:

thank goodness it was saved, too close for comfort esp after seeing how nice it is.

David Roper
05-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Agreed, it would be a crime to gut that one.

Sandy G
05-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Wow...The tubes are barely even dusty...Said it before & I'll say it again-We lost a LOT when TVs quit being cleverly/attractively designed, & became big, ugly gray dull plastic boxes...

bandersen
05-03-2010, 10:50 PM
You're welcome. I'm glad you were able to save it. That is one sweet set :thmbsp:
One of these days I'll get a bigger place and vehicle and start collecting some roundies too :)

ctc17
05-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Pure Class

This thing is sweet! I like the black cabinet with the doors. I also love the dots on the knobs rather than labels.
This one deserves latex glove treatment. No oily fingerprints on the inside.

ceebee23
05-03-2010, 11:14 PM
just plain WOW!

zenithfan1
05-03-2010, 11:38 PM
Looks like I don't need to call him back tomorrow like I told him I would. first come, first serve. Glad it was saved.

AUdubon5425
05-04-2010, 05:42 AM
Yep, like I said, looked like it was worth the money.

miniman82
05-04-2010, 07:07 AM
Geez, collecting TV's is worse than collecting cars. It would be easier for me to find and buy another vintage Mini Cooper than it would be to pick up even a late model roundie in my own back yard. what the hell, I give up.

Findm-Keepm
05-04-2010, 07:39 AM
Great save - nice set and wonderful landscaping too....

Cheers,

edison64
05-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Niiiiiccccceeeeee!:drool:

kx250rider
05-04-2010, 11:16 AM
NICE! And that is a LOW HOURS set!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I see what look to be all original tubes, and the PC boards are clean and unwarped, unblackened! Very rarely do you seen an RCA chassis that virgin.

Charles

DaveWM
05-04-2010, 11:21 AM
I Love the clean wires, nice. Man to think how close that one came to being destroyed...

akent36
05-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Man, 30 miles from me.

bandersen
05-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Geez, collecting TV's is worse than collecting cars. It would be easier for me to find and buy another vintage Mini Cooper than it would be to pick up even a late model roundie in my own back yard. what the hell, I give up.

Man, 30 miles from me.

My sympathies. All I can say is that it was sitting on craigslist for a couple weeks. I try to search it everyday and post any goodies I come across.

Assuming I don't grab it myself that is :D

Username1
05-04-2010, 04:27 PM
you guys ARE funny....... I think I detect some Picture Tube Envy.......
It is a nice tv........... Good Job.

jmdocs
05-04-2010, 05:01 PM
What a beautiful set; congratulations. And that is indeed some great landscaping. Is that the previous owner's lawn? If so, it would certainly explain a lot about how the set stayed so pristine.

Glenz75
05-04-2010, 05:30 PM
What a smart looking set and so 'mint'! :thmbsp: You've got something thats almost a time capsule in the fact its hardly been used. Glad you saved it from what could have been an unfortunate demise...Someones retro fish tank display!

G.

old_tv_nut
05-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Does this model have a special beefed-up audio section to go with the dual speakers?

miniman82
05-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Assuming I don't grab it myself that is :D

Nothing personal, but you 'veteran collectors' are making it a pain in my you know what. I mean, how exactly is someone who's interested in a hobby like this supposed to get started in the frst place if even the lame sets get sucked up? I'm not asking for a handout or anyone's sympathy, I'm just calling it like I see it.

Hope you guys don't wonder why someone like myself gets exasperated, then shells out $800 for a CTC 16 because the competition is so cut throat. Maybe one day I will have a color TV from the old days, but I've come to the conclusion that now is definitely not the time for me.

Peace.

rca2000
05-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Don't be so bitter. be glad that SOMEONE got it--and not a PACKER TRUCK!! SOOOOOOOO many of our treasures have ended up there. Unlike some...I do NOT have the attitude..."if I can't get it''...then let it get crushed!!" I MUCH rather SOMEONE save one--than see another irreplacable piece of Americana like a PRISTINE ctc-15 be crushed and lost forever.

I DO understand your frustration. I SOOOO long wanted a 1957 CTC_5. They ALWAYS seemed to "slip out of my hands'. Too far away--too much, didn't find out, etc, etc. Thought I would NEVER get one--almost gave up.

Then, in Feb...I got my CTC5D--for about $200. It has a nearly PERFECT(to my CR-70 anyway),21AXP22A CRT and a fair cabinet. It does NOT work yet----but it is all there, including back. It will likely NEVER leave my possession.

And a couple of weeks ago, I got a 1965 25MC30 Zenith roundie, for about 40, from a local antique mall. . The tube was asleep--but is now "awake" and it does work some. GREAT cabinet!!

So...hang in there...If you don't give up--you WILL get a "good one". Check craigslist, and Ebay--and let friends know what you want. that is how I got the zenith--through a friend.

RobtWB
05-04-2010, 09:56 PM
i can sympathize with your posting mr miniman.

but it happens in every hobby.

i know people who have no health insurance, homeowners, renters, or vehicle insurance for themselves or their family, but think nothing of dropping a full paycheck on a vintage tv or stereo or other toy. then you have those who are 30 years old, still sucking off momma and daddy's t*t, living at home and posting 24 hours a day their "expert" advise.

don't even get me started on the vintage Zenith collector crowd -

a person really has to question the tv "collector" who has dozens of console sets -
does that not constitute HOARDING!!!

a hobby ceases to become a hobby and becomes a pathetic obsession when one is reduced to browsing ebay, craigslist, the local papers, bulletin board flyers at the supermarket, and online auction listings for estate sales for "vintage" items

zenithfan1
05-04-2010, 10:01 PM
:lurk::thmbsp: This might get interesting. Thank you god that I'm a Zenith collector that don't fall under your description. The only t*t I'm suckin' on is my wife's. LOL!

bandersen
05-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Nothing personal, but you 'veteran collectors' are making it a pain in my you know what. I mean, how exactly is someone who's interested in a hobby like this supposed to get started in the frst place if even the lame sets get sucked up? I'm not asking for a handout or anyone's sympathy, I'm just calling it like I see it.

Hope you guys don't wonder why someone like myself gets exasperated, then shells out $800 for a CTC 16 because the competition is so cut throat. Maybe one day I will have a color TV from the old days, but I've come to the conclusion that now is definitely not the time for me.

Peace.

I hope that wasn't directed at me. I only started collecting TVs a little over a year ago and don't have a single vintage color set!

David Roper
05-04-2010, 10:52 PM
I resemble that remark!

I must say I never knew that whether you're hoarding or not depended on the size of the objects one collects.

bandersen
05-04-2010, 11:37 PM
I resemble that remark!

I must say I never knew that whether you're hoarding or not depended on the size of the objects one collects.

LOL - That's one sweet 'hoard' :thmbsp:

zenithfan1
05-04-2010, 11:43 PM
David, is that a 1968ish Amana Radarange in the third pic? Nice pile ya got goin' there. You have learned well, grasshopper.

drh4683
05-05-2010, 12:15 AM
I too resemble that remark. If only I were perfect, I wouldn't have this many TV's.

Oh, by the way, for those of you who think people are losers who still live with mom and dad when they are under the age of 30 will be happy to know I closed on my first house last Friday.

So now just wait!!!! HORDING CITY IS GOING TO REALLY GET OUT OF CONTROL NOW!!!!!!!! AND MORE EXPERT ADVICE TOO!!! FROM ME, THE PUNK KID WHO WASN'T EVEN AROUND THEN! 24-7!!!!!!! GET READY FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!! IM GOING TO GET SO MUCH STUFF PACKED IN THE HOUSE THAT YOU'LL HAVE TO CLIMB OVER TV'S JUST TO GET YOUR FIRST FOOT IN THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!

No ZENITH collector would have it any other way!!!!!!!!

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ta1B_ryr8bE/S-EEp44gJuI/AAAAAAAABio/V6ddccNrKFc/s800/DSCF9861.JPG
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ta1B_ryr8bE/S-EEvwQn2mI/AAAAAAAABis/2n59Dp5tmwM/s800/DSCF9870.JPG
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ta1B_ryr8bE/S-EE3pfoUZI/AAAAAAAABiw/Ww9At1_fP50/s800/DSCF9868.JPG
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ta1B_ryr8bE/S-EE_-Lu2qI/AAAAAAAABjM/cpK8JjcCoeY/s800/DSCF9865.JPG

Einar72
05-05-2010, 01:19 AM
So now just wait!!!! HORDING CITY IS GOING TO REALLY GET OUT OF CONTROL NOW!!!!!!!! AND MORE EXPERT ADVICE TOO!!! FROM ME, THE PUNK KID WHO WASN'T EVEN AROUND THEN! 24-7!!!!!!! GET READY FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!! IM GOING TO GET SO MUCH STUFF PACKED IN THE HOUSE THAT YOU'LL HAVE TO CLIMB OVER TV'S JUST TO GET YOUR FIRST FOOT IN THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!
[/img]

I used to have that much stuff, along with the attitude that if i don't get just this one more it will be lost forever! I lost my wife instead. She took our son and moved across the state, never wanting to reconcile. I never see much of my money again either. But I have vintage radios, TV's and cars. And storage fees.

As for you, Mr. Miniman, if you ever find yourself in WA state, stop by and we'll discuss a CTC-10 w/remote I have no desire to muck with anymore. Also have a spare KCS-47 roundie you might like. Yes, just you. My first TV was a Sylvania like the one in your avatar. I used to watch American Banstand on it every Saturday in the fall of '66, then hop on my bike and look in every tube tester in a 10-mile range and hope someone left dud tubes behind.

There, I broke the rule about advertising stuff, but it was for theraputic reasons

drh4683
05-05-2010, 06:17 AM
Yes, I've collected way too much in such a short period of time. To be be serious, I have a goal to keep my new house practical by not stock piling it. In my mind, you want to save it even though you might not have the room. The bad news is, under MOST circumstances, if I don't save it, nobody will. Thats why I go to estate sales as fortunately, at this stage in my life, I can do estate sales on Saturdays. Im still single so I can spend time and do things like that. Its one of the few things that I do outside of work on the weekends. I enjoy my work very much and that takes alot out of me as it is. Im very fortunate to be working considing so many people have lost their job recently. So it makes me feel good to save this stuff and if some of you want to bash someone like me and call it hoarding, then so be it. Its nothing new.

Dave S
05-05-2010, 08:54 AM
I resemble that remark!

Only ONE one garage-full, David?

zenithfan1
05-05-2010, 09:18 AM
a hobby ceases to become a hobby and becomes a pathetic obsession when one is reduced to browsing ebay, craigslist, the local papers, bulletin board flyers at the supermarket, and online auction listings for estate sales for "vintage" items

Enlighten me. Can you explain to me how to find "vintage" items without looking in these places? There is nothing wrong with looking for items, this stuff aint for sale at walmart you know. This and the rest of your post have no real value and is only making people angry. Not to mention the good thread it is crapping on. You added this part and a few other things after the first time I saw this. I thought we were supposed to get along, not stab at each other with accusations of hoarding and the other things you said. I say, if you have the room for it without impeding your normal life, there is no problem. I think Doug has a great collection and I'm happy he got this tv, sure I wanted it so bad that I was pouting when I missed out on it but hey, it's probably got a better home where it is now anyway. Simply put, we collect tvs. Some have more than others but that don't mean we're all hoarders.

andy
05-05-2010, 09:43 AM
---

joemama99
05-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Well,if David and Dougs collections constitute hoarding all I can say is
THOSE ARE SOME AWFUL SWEET HOARDS!

andy
05-05-2010, 11:21 AM
---

zenithfan1
05-05-2010, 11:31 AM
From the pictures I saw, it is a beautiful home. Congratulations Doug, you done good. I also say that living at home is ok as long as you're saving money like Doug did to buy a house. It's wrong when it's done to be a moocher like some do.

RobtWB
05-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Holy Cow!

Re-read and think about my post! I never mentioned or implied anyone with my rant. YOU ALL ASSUMED I was referencing someone in particular.

Damn people, get a life.

Your comments bleed PARANOIA.

zenithfan1
05-05-2010, 01:33 PM
If you were not implying anyone, why bother in the first place. Also, why mention people sitting here giving their "expert" advice 24/7 and don't get me started on Zenith collectors. That sounds like you were talking about people here to me. Please take your rants elsewhere if this is the kind of stuff you have to say. Your comments bleed A-hole. Can we please get back to the OT now, this is stupid.

marty59
05-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Sometimes us "Hoarders" not only make excellant deals for others to acquire something from someones' collection but give out excellant advice as well! We are all here for each other and to help solve problems. I didn't take anything as wrongly implied, but my skin is pretty thick too!!
Maybe things could have been worded a little different....

Doug, I do love that set! I'm glad it was saved.

jmdocs
05-05-2010, 07:05 PM
One thing I've learned about reading these boards over time is that success or failure at finding great sets seems to have very little to do with any kind of "obsessive" behavior, and a great deal to do with, as the real estate agents say, location, location, location. I go to estate sales here in Chicago, too, and see all kinds of sets (very few of them have really caught my eye; I don't have a serious collecting bug, apparently.) Chicagoland is just really fertile territory and I can say from experience it would be possible to have the aforementioned "life" and still build a serious collection. Now one of these days, I might just stumble on the roundie for me...but in the meantime I'm going to go listen to some records (estate sale records--there's a great OT thread...)

Hemingray
05-05-2010, 08:29 PM
I see that this is a New Vista set. Incidentally that name was coined from the Nuvistor tube on the VHF tuner (6DS4). I have a tabletop hybrid version of this set.

I also see some cataract in that CRT, although it don't look too bad. Nice find!

drh4683
05-05-2010, 09:08 PM
One thing I've learned about reading these boards over time is that success or failure at finding great sets seems to have very little to do with any kind of "obsessive" behavior, and a great deal to do with, as the real estate agents say, location, location, location. I go to estate sales here in Chicago, too, and see all kinds of sets (very few of them have really caught my eye; I don't have a serious collecting bug, apparently.) Chicagoland is just really fertile territory and I can say from experience it would be possible to have the aforementioned "life" and still build a serious collection.

You hit the nail on the head, I couldn't have said it better myself. Whats interesting about many of the Chicago area suburbs are the fact that they were built up heavily in the 1950's-60's and many of the seniors living here are still in those houses they bought brand new 50 years ago. There seems to be a more conservative mindset here that "you keep what you buy and you take care of it" You don't experience as high of a turn over rate in a good number of the near suburbs, so your chances for finding a clean original house is very high. You've seen my estate sale photos, most of those houses never saw redecorating since 1960 yet the people took good care of their things. This "time warp" in communites and homes seems to be more of a phenomenon in Chicago vs anywhere else in the states. You wonder how long it will last? However, consider how highly populated this area is, that has huge impact too for increasing the probability of finding nice vintage items.

marty59
05-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Besides being a CTC-15, The CRT Bezel could almost pass for a CTC-12 version. There are some slight differences to the now trained eye! The black accents must be exclusive to that model too. That is just really a beautiful set.

I once had a CTC-12 that was in a black metal cabinet with black screw in legs that I really liked but I had to part/thin out my sets in the late seventies when I moved from Michigan to Texas...kinda' reminds me of it...:tears:

marty59
05-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Doug, One other thing the Greater Chicagoland area has besides what you mentioned is lots of houses with basements! If the folks ever did any upgrades then the downstairs aquired the old stuff.

I remember the sixties style existing but the basement was stuck in the fifties with the old but still working blonde black and white and maybe a pooltable and a homebuilt bar!!

drh4683
05-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Doug, One other thing the Greater Chicagoland area has besides what you mentioned is lots of houses with basements! If the folks ever did any upgrades then the downstairs aquired the old stuff.

I remember the sixties style existing but the basement was stuck in the fifties with the old but still working blonde black and white and maybe a pooltable and a homebuilt bar!!

Another very good point. Almost all the homes in Chicago have basements and they are indeed the greatest catch all ever. Your typical chicagland basement:

Green 9x9 asbestos vinal floor tile, wood paneled walls, brass cone lights mounted to the walls, acoustic celing tiles with the little holes and the built in bar and sometimes a light up mural. Then the Zenith TV in the corner with books on top of it.

I can't tell you how many estate sales I've hit in which the 1968 Zenith TV was still upstairs, wired up to the outdoor antenna and plugged in.

I had depression era/WWII generation grandparents. They are gone now, but I remember very well how their house was back in the early 90's when I was a kid. They kept everything, the same 1950's furniture, the same avocado green carpeting, Ray Conniff and Ferrante and Teicher albums etc. Not to mention a basement full of just about everything you could imagine. They were your typical chicago area residents. People around here didn't feel the need to change for some reason. They must have liked what they had and life went on. And boom, 50 years later and its still the same thing just another day. Many parts of chicago and a good number of the suburbs still look like 1955, the old brick two flats many with the original businesses and the flashing neon signs. All you need are some 50's cars and you'd have a perfect 1950's movie set.

TV's and vintage things aside, I love the Chicago area and the architecutre and the history that goes along with it. Part of my enthusiasm for estate sales is just visting the homes and reflecting on the past. So much happened here once. It was a huge manufacturing hub, both for the electronics industry and for machines, tools, etc. Detroit built the cars, Chicago did just about everything else. Boths sides of my family were part of it, dating back to when they imigrated to Chicago from Germany. I have no plans to leave here.

Dave S
05-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Your typical chicagland basement:

Green 9x9 asbestos vinal floor tile, wood paneled walls, brass cone lights mounted to the walls, acoustic celing tiles with the little holes and the built in bar and sometimes a light up mural. Then the Zenith TV in the corner with books on top of it.

I can't tell you how many estate sales I've hit in which the 1968 Zenith TV was still upstairs, wired up to the outdoor antenna and plugged in.

Sounds a lot like the suburbs in New Jersey. And I have a young-ish friend who is doing his new house in that style, only more "Disneyland perfect" than it ever was in real life. Complete with CTC-5. I just gave him my mom's old Mixmaster from the fifties which will look just right on his kitchen counter.

sampson159
05-05-2010, 10:36 PM
i sold basement waterproofing here in columbus for some time.tile floors,paneling in the post war neighborhoods.saw lots of built in b/w sets.all were gutted with just the masking still mounted in the wall.when i got into the business years ago,i thought i would find lots of treasures.not one gem was found!seems all the children got the homes and got rid of those old ugly round screen tvs and bulky console radios.we gave them to the salvation army,etc.
what a disappointment this was.i did get a plasma from a customer who had good credit but no down payment.i took the set for the money down.sold it about a year later.other than that,no luck at all.could have got more than a few pianos.why would they take them downstairs?

NewVista
05-05-2010, 11:25 PM
... Many parts of chicago and a good number of the suburbs still look like 1955, the old brick two flats many with the original businesses and the flashing neon signs. All you need are some 50's cars and you'd have a perfect 1950's movie set.

Yes, like old hwy 41 NE Chi, some amazing 50's originality/signage.
And then 5000 N Broadway for some 1920's immersion.
Must go there again for another Fix soon.

Telecolor 3007
05-06-2010, 12:38 AM
Wow! Wow! Wow! Awsome set. You lucky fellow!
This tv was an luxury model?

DaveWM
05-06-2010, 07:06 AM
could have got more than a few pianos.why would they take them downstairs?

piano lessons?

:)

jmdocs
05-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Ray Conniff and Ferrante and Teicher albums etc. Not to mention a basement full of just about everything you could imagine. They were your typical chicago area residents. People around here didn't feel the need to change for some reason.

That's most true in the inner-ring suburbs; Niles, Skokie, Berwyn, Cicero--the places where people were the first in their family to move out of the city. They found their dream home (the classic "raised ranch") and never changed. Up on the North Shore, they redecorated every few years, and had maids and cleaning women to give their old stuff to.

zenithfan1
05-06-2010, 10:34 AM
That is true, here in the Lake Forest area it's pretty hard to find vintage things as they always have to have new. I was lucky when I got my CTC 5 Wingate from Wilmette Il for $22.50. That was a fluke because the people that lived there were there for generations and kept everything like in the other suburbs. The rest of the neighborhood and area was pretty updated.

jmdocs
05-06-2010, 11:49 AM
That is true, here in the Lake Forest area it's pretty hard to find vintage things as they always have to have new. I was lucky when I got my CTC 5 Wingate from Wilmette Il for $22.50. That was a fluke because the people that lived there were there for generations and kept everything like in the other suburbs. The rest of the neighborhood and area was pretty updated.

I remember that house. It did have a "Grey Gardens" vibe about it. Every once in a while you find a house where something clearly went very wrong at some point. Not that they kept things the same because they like them but because they were mentally or financially incapable of change.

Geez, this is really straying off topic. Sorry; will ramble no more.