View Full Version : Yet another overpriced set

bandersen
04-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Ugh! did someone paint this set silver :yuck:
Only $1200 for the custom paint job and "Please no low ballers or scammers" :rolleyes: :no:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/atq/1679812132.html

Sandy G
04-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Oh, Prunella...But at least The Tube lites up...An' we'll always have Paris...

miniman82
04-07-2010, 08:13 PM
My message to seller:

Just so you know, this set is not worth more than $100. Just thought I'd save you some time trying to sell, because it will never move at your current price in a million years. Guess that makes me a low baller, but I hope you change the price to squash the perception of being a scammer.

Let's see what happens. :thmbsp:

bandersen
04-07-2010, 10:36 PM
LOL - Nice one. Can't wait to hear his response (if any). You raised a good point too. With a price that high, maybe he is a scammer :scratch2:.

Captain Video
04-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Ouch!!! US$ 1,200???? Not even here, where 50's sets are difficult to find, someone will find a collector willing to pay THAT much for a 50's TV... I, myself, have been able to buy some very nice console 50's TVs for values much lower than this.

As for that sad paint job done on that TV... I've seen things much worse. Some idiot who thinks of himself as being a designer or something like this, took a very nice and beautiful 1930's console radio and covered it completely with graffitti signs... looks like he did it for the radio to be used as a prop in a play stage... that was one of the most stupidy, ridiculous and disgusting things I have ever seen done to an antique electronic equipment... I think only fishtanking a vintage TV is worse than that. Fortunately, that radio ended in the hands of a very devoted radio collector, and that collector was able to clean off the graffitti job and bring the radio back to it's original glory.

I have been faced with a 1950 GE roundie that had been itself painted white. My mother was able to undo that painting job and re-veneer the TV cabinet. It looks quite good now.

kx250rider
04-08-2010, 12:30 PM
I can't tell, but is that a Wilcox-Gay? It sure looks like that, or a Majestic.

***$100 is a generous offer for it with that paint job; $1200 is someone who didn't bother to do any research before listing it***

Charles

wa2ise
04-08-2010, 12:41 PM
That paint job reminds me of the time (about 15 years ago?) when silver painted BPC TVs were sold. Still, :yuck:

"Tube lights up" What does that mean, the heater, or you actually get a raster? :scratch2:

miniman82
04-08-2010, 11:23 PM
And now, the predictable seller's response:

GFY

Jerry G

Or, go f*ck yourself. :D

Would it be out of line to forward him a link to this thread? :thmbsp:

radiotvnut
04-08-2010, 11:57 PM
People just get so uptight when they hear the truth; but, I guess the truth hurts, sometimes. I mean here we are, as veteran collectors, trying to save these poor souls a lot of disappointment and look how they react.

radiotvnut
04-09-2010, 12:00 AM
I think the next time I see I high dollar amount for a piece of crap, I'm going to start saying, "You want $xxxx.xx? People in Hades want ice water, too".