View Full Version : Sony Trinitron model ID(s)?

rpm1200
04-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Hello everybody,
Does anyone know what Sony Trinitron portables were available with wood cabinets and had the speaker and tuner knobs below the screen? The screen sizes might have been 12"-17". I would guess late 70s, possibly early 80s vintage.
The KV-9000U 9" portable had this type of layout except it had a black plastic case and UHF tuner knob on the side. The one I'm thinking of had VHF and UHF tuner knobs on the front, below the screen.
I haven't seen sets like this in person but I have seen at least one or two in various media...
If anyone has pics that would be great!
Thanks, Rob

kx250rider
04-06-2010, 01:08 PM
KV-1722 & 1723 are the only ones I know of with those screen sizes in (wallpapered) wood cabinets, and speaker & rotary knobs below the screen. The KV-1210U had some controls under the screen, but the speaker and tuner were to the right.

Charles

jr_tech
04-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Here is a fuzzy picture of one (17"), cropped from a 10 year old picture of the "living quarters" at an old TV transmitter site:

It has recessed handles on each side, speaker on the left and VHF & UHF selectors on the right. You can sorta see one of the selector knobs between the spokes of the chair. It may have had color, tint, picture and volume knobs in the middle, like the KV-9000, as well as brightness and vertical hold. Perhaps some of the controls were behind a door.

jr

Update: found this ad in a completed auction on the 'bay:
So it looks like on/off Volume and Picture as well as the little red illuminated AFT button are above the Ch selectors, leaving tint, color, brightness and vertical under the panel. I had one of these long ago, but didn't remember exactly how the controls were arranged.

rpm1200
04-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks y'all, that one in JR's pic sure looks like what I saw. Definitely not a 1210, I've had a couple of those in the past. I'll be trying to dig up more info on these models...