View Full Version : Scotty at Hawkeye anounces retirement plans

ohohyodafarted
03-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Dear Customers, and Friends of Hawk-Eye Picture Tube Mfg.

As you all know, our industry has changed, and it is with great reluctance that I have decided to retire the business after 53 years. My father, Frank, started the business in 1958. He continued to own and operate Hawk-Eye until I took over in 1975. It has been a wonderful family business and career.

An actual date has not been set, however it will be by year's end. I am in the process of liquidating stock, and beginning to prepare for the storage of the equipment required to rebuild CRT tubes. My goal is to find someone who is willing to inherit the equipment, and continue the rebuild process. I can make myself available to set-up shop, teach the in/outs, and answer questions as they arise.

Since I really do not know how soon it will be before I have to shut down, I would ask that all collectors and anybody thinking about getting your old or antique tube rebuilt NOW is the time to send it in.

It has been a great 52 years of business. My family and I thank you all for your loyalty, and dedication you have shown to Hawk-Eye Picture Tube Mfg.

Sincerely
Scotty

jeyurkon
03-11-2010, 11:17 PM
I thought I felt a disturbance in the ether. :tears: The last of a breed... :sadwave:

AUdubon5425
03-12-2010, 03:39 AM
I wonder how much room you'd need to do this...

Steve McVoy
03-12-2010, 07:15 AM
See this:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/crt_project.html

kx250rider
03-12-2010, 10:41 AM
What if someone in CA with no CRT rebuilding education, had a vacant 16,000 sq ft commercial building with 3-phase electric service, and with space to set all that up, but had no interest in running it as a business?

Charles

Phil Nelson
03-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Seems like the most vital ingredient is the serious apprentice -- someone willing to spend the time to learn these black arts and then stick with it. From what I've heard, this is not something you can pick up over a weekend and then dabble in whenever the whim strikes you.

Just my $0.02.

Phil

zenithfan1
03-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Ahhhh Geeeze....(in my best Archie Bunker voice)
I better get a tube over there somehow.......

AUdubon5425
03-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Seems like the most vital ingredient is the serious apprentice -- someone willing to spend the time to learn these black arts and then stick with it. From what I've heard, this is not something you can pick up over a weekend and then dabble in whenever the whim strikes you.

If I were closer to Hawkeye I'd jump at the chance; I would love to learn this.

I certainly hope that Scotty can find someone to take advantage of such an opportunity.

Steve McVoy
03-12-2010, 03:39 PM
I agree that finding an apprentice (or apprentices) is the key to making this work. A couple of people have expressed an interest.

Sandy G
03-12-2010, 03:54 PM
I have a feeling that this is somewhat akin to a Buggy-Whip manufacturer in 1910...

zenith2134
03-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Someone NEEDS to ensure this stuff is saved for the future. In my lifetime, I will likely see a complete phase out of all CRT display equipment...and you can bet one day it will be very difficult to find a replacement.

AUdubon5425
03-13-2010, 08:28 AM
I'd imagine that there are others like myself who are interested but could not spare the time away from job, family and obligations to adequately learn this craft. Distance is the enemy. In other words, life gets in the way of living. :)

kx250rider
03-13-2010, 11:56 AM

Just my $0.02.

Phil

I'm not sure it would be too hard to learn, as I remember how so many TV repair shops had a CRT oven in the back room. It's definitely an art, as well as a science, and probably not for everybody to be great at. However, most of us here have a leg-up, already being scientific-minded and interested in TV technology. If I'm wrong about that, I better check the rosters at all the local nursing homes, and see if I can find a 95-year-old "expert" CRT rebuilder; the youngest one likely to exist ... :sigh:

On a serious note, and adding to my original post, I hope nobody thinks they can go into this for profit. It needs to be either a hobby effort (and will cost some $$$), or it needs to be someone needing a tax loss. Although I would need to run this by my wife, I could be serious about having a location for it.
Charles

Steve McVoy
03-13-2010, 01:38 PM
The hope is that it can be done at the museum as a non-profit venture. At first only the rarer tubes would be done (7DP4s, etc.). If the economics work, we may be able to do more common tubes.

jr_tech
03-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Does anybody still make electron guns for re-builders?

jr

tvdude1
03-18-2010, 08:46 PM
I will send Scotty a 10bp4 and 10fp4 to do for spares.

tvdude1
03-18-2010, 08:52 PM
I will send Scotty a couple to do this week. Come on guys, help the guy out,there must be a special set in your collection that could use a rebuilt tube.

Reece
03-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Question, out of my sheer ignorance: with the demise of Scotty's outfit, doesn't Video Display Corp. rebuild old tubes? Or do they only do color tubes? What about their longevity with the general disappearance of CRT's?

Charlie
03-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Sounds like Scotty's last months in the business could turn out to be extremely busy!

Video Display was doing some roundie rebuilds, but stopped about 4 or 5 years ago when they closed the Dallas facility.

Bill Cahill
05-12-2010, 07:41 AM
There's a young man at ARF who has just volunteered to be an apprentice for Scotty at rebuilding. Let me get you the link.....
http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1105344#1105344
Here's the link. He sounds sincere about it, and, it wouldn't hurt to contact him. It may very well work out.
I'll post there a link here.
Bill Cahill

Steve McVoy
05-12-2010, 08:30 AM
Here is an update on the project of moving Scotty's equipment to the museum:

www.earlytelevision.org/crt_project.html

ctc17
05-12-2010, 11:37 AM
The guns would be my main concern. How long will the cathodes be available or how many are left. Getting involved in a business where your supply parts are finite seems kinda weird.
Would be great to see the museum get this though.

Steve McVoy
05-12-2010, 11:40 AM
The guns are one of many problems, but the main ones are 1) do we have someone who can run the project? and 2) is it possible to rebuild tubes at a cost that allows the operation to break even and is low enough that collectors will pay to have their tubes rebuilt.

Patnukem
05-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Hey thanks Bill for posting here for me, I left out the "T" out of my name when registering over at ARF. I also did not see the post here so thank you for pointing it out. I wrote Bob so if he needs someone he knows how to get a hold of me now.

PredictaNoob
05-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Mein Gott! Am Ende ist nah!

ohohyodafarted
05-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Taking TWO 21axp22's to Scotty for rebuild in Early June. I will also be willing to help on the project to remove and reinstall Scottys equipment when the dates for the move are finally set.

I encourage all parties interested in helping to anounce your willingness to lend a hand by making a post here on this thread, so that Bob Dobush knows who he can count on for helping to do the work.

Bob Galanter

cbenham
05-12-2010, 07:13 PM
I have a feeling that this is somewhat akin to a Buggy-Whip manufacturer in 1910...

Or maybe color wheel manufacturing in 2010??? #;^)

Cliff:banana:

AUdubon5425
05-13-2010, 02:41 AM
Or maybe color wheel manufacturing in 2010??? #;^)

Watch it pal, that's my idea! :lmao:

TubeType
05-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Taking TWO 21axp22's to Scotty for rebuild in Early June. I will also be willing to help on the project to remove and reinstall Scottys equipment when the dates for the move are finally set.

I encourage all parties interested in helping to anounce your willingness to lend a hand by making a post here on this thread, so that Bob Dobush knows who he can count on for helping to do the work.

Bob Galanter

Hey Bob,

My son Adam and I are on Bob Dobush's contact list for training and lending a hand.

Phil Nelson
05-14-2010, 12:00 PM
I have a couple of weak 10BP4s lying around, but no urgent need to rebuild those or any others. If you're the nervous type, I guess you'd rush them off to Scotty before he closes his doors. An alternative is to hold onto them to give ETF some business when their operation starts up. Being a lazy type, I'm tempted to choose Door Number Two. It wouldn't matter to me if it took two or three years before ETF could accept orders. If lightning strikes and they never get off the ground, I haven't really lost anything -- and my weak 10BP4s just increased in value, since even a weak tube is better than a dud :)

Phil

AUdubon5425
05-14-2010, 03:23 PM
I would volunteer but the time & distance factors make it impossible. I'm glad to see the stuff is getting saved.

zenithfan1
05-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Yeah, me too. I wish I lived in Ohio. I'd love to lend a hand.

David Roper
05-14-2010, 09:35 PM
I'm sure there are a lot of collectors who feel the same way, I know I do.

mbates14
05-15-2010, 12:55 PM
I would lend a hand, but i live in the hamilton/dayton area of ohio. not columbus. since having no job right now or a reliable car isnt making matters any easier. but i would love to help out. hehe.