View Full Version : Have any suggestions ?

grumpy
02-24-2010, 08:13 AM
Now that VK has been on the air for a little while we are looking for suggestions from our members. Thanks

Grumpy

Tony V
02-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Can we have our Horizontal Hold photo gallery brought over to this site from VK? Maybe have a gallery for the radio guys also.

grumpy
02-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Good idea. I will look in to some gallery software. Thanks

Grumpy

Dude111
02-24-2010, 06:35 PM
How about enabling a rep system Grumpy??

Then we can give someone '+' points for good posts and all :)

tmad40blue
03-07-2010, 08:23 PM
How about a "Digital Video" forum? Lots of people are getting DV, SD card, and HDD camcorders now, including myself, and I'd love a place to discuss it.

zenithfan1
03-08-2010, 07:13 PM
How about a "Digital Video" forum? Lots of people are getting DV, SD card, and HDD camcorders now, including myself, and I'd love a place to discuss it.

I like this idea.:thmbsp: I've been thinking of getting a good camcorder myself, probably a hard drive type.

electroking
03-10-2010, 08:34 PM
How about posting a 'sticky' notice in audiokarma tube audio forum? People
with old tube radios keep posting there instead of getting to this less than
busy place!

2ofeach
03-11-2010, 11:22 PM
hi folks, looking for a boatanchor forum. Today I drove 6hr round trip to pick up another R1155 to add to my collection of already five. I have three National HROs, four Hammarlund Super-Pros, an HQ-170, and an HQ-129. I also have an Imperial Electronics R-390A, a Collins 51J-3, a couple of Hallicrafters, a WS-19set, a couple of BC 348s, and a few more that I've forgotten about. Anyone else similarly afflicted?
regards.

Einar72
03-31-2010, 08:03 PM
I second that boatanchor idea! Us omnivores like a little of this, that and th' other! I think a vibrator-powered equipment section would be fun too! Got Motorola Coffin?

electronjohn
04-02-2010, 02:58 PM
A Boatanchor forum would be a nice subpage for a Ham Radio forum...which is something I'd like to see here @ VK. Also...a button that would take you directly from VK to the AK home page would be nice.

wkand
04-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Regading newer video gear, techniques, etc. there is already a site called avforum, that uses the same toolset or close to it, as video/audiokarma, with equipment reviews, an general posting, so it is hard to see how we would be unique.

I second the ham radio forum idea. There is not much on the web for newbees to the ham arena.

bandersen
04-07-2010, 07:28 PM
How about a forum for vintage test equipment ?
I've collected and restored a number of interesting items, but haven't posted anything about them. Strictly speaking, they're not TVs or radios, but I do use this gear to fix them.
Perhaps this would fit under the 'boat anchor' heading? Some of it is pretty heavy stuff :D

Kalamazoo-DJ
04-07-2010, 08:55 PM
A public photo gallery, there are other members who have very nice sets, but you have to surf and sort through their profiles to see them. Several members have shown pics but not of their whole collections these things are worth public display I think.

grumpy
04-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Some good suggestions. I will get to some of them very shortly. Keep em coming.

Grumpy

Dude111
04-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Thank you Grumpy,you have excellent sites and im glad you share them with us :)

Reece
04-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Not to take away from what could be here, but there are communications receiver and test equipment forums over on Antique Radio Forums.

bandersen
04-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Good point. How about a forum for test equipment specifically as used for servicing TVs, VCRs, cameras etc. ?

AUdubon5425
04-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Good point. How about a forum for test equipment specifically as used for servicing TVs, VCRs, cameras etc. ?

I would like that too - I have some old stuff I could use some guidance on

zenithfan1
04-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Me too.

Kamakiri
05-18-2010, 02:54 PM
I'll get the new forum up shortly :)

pugs5061
05-18-2010, 04:50 PM
How about a dollars and sense forum like Audiokarma. Our hobby is going through a strange period right now if anybody watches ebay. Most of you do, but there ought to be somewhere to bitch about the Chinese crap put into a nice old cabinets. Bitch about the "movie prop sets". (This is being encouraged by ebay bigtime). The craziness of asking thousands for a common Philco, Zenith or RCA mid 50's set. The incremental but real price increases in items that are really in demand. Whats next to hit the big time? Predictas at $1200? etc. etc. etc.

Kamakiri
05-18-2010, 05:45 PM
That's a really good idea. Think I'll work on that later tonight....

Sam Cogley
05-18-2010, 10:27 PM
I just noticed that the Google search is still tied to AK.

bandersen
05-19-2010, 01:27 AM
How about a dollars and sense forum like Audiokarma. Our hobby is going through a strange period right now if anybody watches ebay. Most of you do, but there ought to be somewhere to bitch about the Chinese crap put into a nice old cabinets. Bitch about the "movie prop sets". (This is being encouraged by ebay bigtime). The craziness of asking thousands for a common Philco, Zenith or RCA mid 50's set. The incremental but real price increases in items that are really in demand. Whats next to hit the big time? Predictas at $1200? etc. etc. etc.

I second that - excellent idea.

grumpy
05-19-2010, 05:33 PM
I just noticed that the Google search is still tied to AK.

Thanks for catching this. Its fixed now, but will take some time to index.

Grumpy

Sam Cogley
05-19-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks for catching this. Its fixed now, but will take some time to index.

Grumpy

The box still says "Search AK with Google" and the radio buttons say "Audiokarma.org" and "Google."

grumpy
05-20-2010, 06:21 AM
The box still says "Search AK with Google" and the radio buttons say "Audiokarma.org" and "Google."

You mean the donate button at the top ?

I will get the google search fixed. Thanks

Grumpy

electroking
05-20-2010, 09:47 AM
How about resettting this counter to reflect the real size (and eventual growth)
of videokarma?

Most users ever online was 1,140

grumpy
05-24-2010, 03:51 PM
How about resettting this counter to reflect the real size (and eventual growth)
of videokarma?

Most users ever online was 1,140

Its not possible, due to the way the site was created.

electroking
05-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Its not possible, due to the way the site was created.

No problem, with 42 guests we are on our way to beat 1140. Let's
do it!

grumpy
06-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Just a reminder that we are still looking for ideas to expand VK. Please feel free to post or contact Kamakiri or me with yours suggestions. Thanks

Grumpy

AUdubon5425
06-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Perhaps a phonograph/turntable section would be useful. You'll usually get more interest and advice on old stuff like a Webcor changer here on VK - the turntable section on AK is really geared towards the higher-end equipment.

electroking
06-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Make sure the default text under members' names is changed from "AK member" to
"VK member".

electroking
06-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Make sure the default text under members' names is changed from "AK member" to
"VK member".

At least I see it is working for new members. Thanks.

danrulz98
06-26-2010, 06:47 PM
Be able to embed Youtube videos? (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=183289&highlight=youtube)

miniman82
06-30-2010, 08:01 AM
Is there any way to increase the forum 'timeout' period? I sometimes make long-winded posts, and it's pretty annoying to have to log back in everytime I need to preview a post. I don't know what it's currently at, but 10-15 minutes seems fine to me before getting the automatic boot.

zenithfan1
06-30-2010, 11:48 AM
I always click the remember me box when doing long posts or on my home computer. It sure sucks if you don't and a whole post goes down the crapper. I had a big one that was a whole page do that once.

miniman82
06-30-2010, 10:45 PM
I'll level with you: I'm comupter savvy, but I have very little patience when things do not work the way they're supposed to. I've tried compatability mode, browser settings, nothing keeps me from getting kicked off. I still have issues with AK chat too, but I've come to the conclusion that I'll never chat there again because it's too much hassle. For a long time now I've been writing posts in Word, then pasting them into the browser. All the same, I thought I'd throw the suggestion out there...

grumpy
07-01-2010, 06:46 AM
Do you still have timing out issues after checking the remember me box ?

Dude111
07-01-2010, 11:18 PM
I can show you Grumpy how to re-check that (IN THE SCRIPT) its a one line fix.. (One that shouldnt have been changed by Vbulletin)

old_tv_nut
09-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Would there / could there be any way to get automatic email notification of new posts in the classified section? I often forget to check.

kc8adu
06-21-2011, 09:35 AM
whats with the 200 second timer on pm's?
still at default setting or was there a pm spammer problem?

parvo
07-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Any chance of having the resources to upload and
share the vast library of sams photofact, service,
user, and schematics associated with our hobby
related gear? My paper library is huge and my
storage place gets hot out there. I am sure by
scanning to PDF and uploading, others will benefit
and while others follow suit, the knowledge base
will surely increase. I realize this may consume
server space and I hope this will not compromise
the free status that VK enjoys now.
Perhaps subscription and barter town style
AK benefits will support this suggestion.
Hopefully this does not start controversy
for VK.

regards,

Allen

Findm-Keepm
07-17-2011, 07:08 PM
for VK.

regards,

Allen

Just to add to this, if not on VK, could we independently support an FTP server site that was login-based? Something similar to what BAMA does for the Ham/Boatanchor crowd would be nice, with login restrictions. A PM within VK would set up the user, then everthing else would be outside of VK, so bandwidth and server load would be minimized here.

I have a ton of digital docs, all related to tv/video, and an outside server would alleviate the load on VK's servers, duplicate postings, and lift posting restrictions for schematics and manuals.

I'd also like to see a sticky thread here on VK with outside links to free data. I've got about a dozen to start. Most are current technology stuff, but links to the Sams/Riders/Beitmans hosted by others are among them.

Cheers,

grumpy
08-22-2011, 06:27 PM
whats with the 200 second timer on pm's?
still at default setting or was there a pm spammer problem?

It was a big problem in the past but I think we can change that now. :yes:

grumpy
08-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Allen,

I think we could try and do something. What format are the files and do you have an average size ? Thanks

Grumpy

for VK.

regards,

Allen

grumpy
08-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Also Pm the staff, we would be glad to sticky a thread with all the links you folks would like to post.

Monster
11-09-2011, 05:12 PM
I know I'm new here, and probably speaking out of turn, but how about a "Wanted" section outside of the Classifieds and a Ham Radio/2-way Radio Section?
Also, MUCH more room for photo uploads?

Kamakiri
11-09-2011, 08:53 PM
I like the idea of the "wanted" area and the ham radio stuff. The photo uploads are kinda out of my control, as it's a server space issue.