View Full Version : Sony LCD color Watchman collection started!

kx250rider
02-19-2010, 10:44 AM
After the digital change, these sets started showing up for sale in volumes... I decided it's "now or never" if I'm going to add LCD sets to my Sony small TV collection. I got all 3 of these, plus a half dozen same-model sets in lesser condition, for very reasonable prices on eBay in the past few months. As far as I know, the FDL-310 is the first color LCD Sony, unless the GV-8 (LCD with built-in 8mm VCR) came earlier. Not sure. Anyway, I have these three "mint in box with packaging" examples of the FDL-310, FDL-330, and FDL-370. The FDL-330 is a really neat set. It comes in that carrying case, and is actually a "component set" like the Sony Profeel KX series. It's a monitor, with a detachable tuner, detachable speaker, and detachable battery case. It all snaps together as a cube, or you can use the monitor by itself as a viewfinder or whatever. I'm lucky to have found it with the original case, and even the original cellophane sheet that the original owner carefully cut off the tray.

At this point, I'll try to round off the collection with a GV-8, and maybe a few of the later 8mm/LCD combo units, and the FDL-380, which I think was their last one in the Sony-built Watchman color series. I never really looked into it, so please correct me if I'm off on any of this, or if I'm overlooking a model that should be in a complete collection :thmbsp:

Charles

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/kx250racer/SonyLCDcolorTVs2-10.jpg

jr_tech
02-19-2010, 12:28 PM
I think that it is a great idea to collect a few of these color LCD mini TVs while they are still cheap. I had a great deal of fun collecting most of the models of the little "flat tube" Sonys, and the entire collection takes up very little space ! :thmbsp:

At the time, I had little interest in LCD sets, but there are some that are appealing. I have a good start... we used a 380 in the kitchen until the digital conversion, and of course I still have it.

jr

zenithfan1
02-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Very nice, I've been meaning to grab some of those myself. I've been wanting a FDL-330 since they were new. Is that the one where the speaker pops out of the side? I thought is was but could be wrong. I am a lot:D

andy
02-19-2010, 04:46 PM

bgadow
02-19-2010, 10:20 PM
I can still remember how excited I was by the first monochrome LCD sets in the 80s. I stared at them at Radio Shack; I used to hang out at a little antique store run by an older couple. The gentleman was a semi-retired cash register salesman and one day he was in there showing off a new Casio TV. I dreamt that he would tire of it and give it to me...

jr_tech
02-19-2010, 11:37 PM
"the first monochrome LCD sets in the 80s. I stared at them at Radio Shack"

Almost forgot about those...I guess that I already have 2 sets in my mini-LCD collection... I just put batteries in the old R/S "Pocketvision" and it seems to work just fine! :yes:

For those that have not seen one of these, it is an inversion of the "mirror in lid" concept... the display is mounted in the flip-up lid and backlit by ambient light, then viewed in a mirror mounted on the body of the set.

jr

andy
02-19-2010, 11:51 PM

jr_tech
02-20-2010, 12:09 AM
"I couldn't believe how bad the pictures was"

Yep... my picture above is about what it looked like. :thumbsdn: I could be wrong, but I think the little sets sold for about $200.

jr

Reece
02-20-2010, 07:20 AM
We got one of my sons one of the mirror-lid sets back then and it was a pain to use, but really a marvel to think that was all in a set the size of a transistor radio.

kx250rider
02-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Very nice, I've been meaning to grab some of those myself. I've been wanting a FDL-330 since they were new. Is that the one where the speaker pops out of the side? I thought is was but could be wrong. I am a lot:D

Thank you! And yes, this one has the pop-out speaker module. On the original receipt, it shows that speaker with my set was bought as an accessory, although the carry case has a spot for it.

You'll need to recap that FDL-310. I have 3 (including one parts set), and they all were brimming with leaky SMD electrolytics.

I'm not surprised to hear that, since it's the same era as the Indextron. I haven't powered up my Indextron since I did so to show it working on AK last year, and I won't until I recap it (if ever). I guess I better plan to do that, as I don't want the traces all eaten off by capacitor acid.

Charles

jhalphen
02-21-2010, 07:55 AM
Hi to all, Hi Charles,

Re: LCD TV Collection

You must visit friend Frank G.'s site in Germany, a world-class site entirely devoted to pocket TVs (CRT & LCD). Just browse the excellent photography and pick the models you would like to complete your collection:

English text:
http://www.taschenfernseher.de/index-e.htm

German version (more content):
http://www.taschenfernseher.de/

As Indextrons were once again mentioned in this thread, i would like to publicly exclaim my Great THANKS! to our very own Andy from AK who did a first-class job on my Indextron which was still not operating properly even after a total recap in France, done before sending it all the way to Texas & back. Luckily, it wasn't lost in the cyber-parcel "black-hole".

BTW, Charles, do you want a Sony-only LCD collection or are other brands welcome?

Here are some of my favorites, either because of technological advances when they were produced or because of outstanding picture quality. Personally, i tend to avoid non-TFT LCDs (Passive Matrix)early models, as aside from being a technology curio, i defy anyone to watch a full-length program on them.

- Panasonic CT-333S 1984, NTSC + AM/FM radio. An outstanding first generation TFT which blew the socks off anything else on the market when it appeared.

Later, the Panasonic "MiniVision" TFT LCDs all have outstanding pictures plus elegant styling.

- Later generation Casios, EV-570, EV-660, EV-670, EV-690, 35mm color slide quality and very cheap now because of the analogue switch-off.

- Casio "historical" models, TV-1000 & TV-2000
- a rare Casio LCD + VHS recorder/player: the VF-3000

Philips (Magnavox in the US) also made early very good TFTs: CH-1000BK, later CK-1050, Philips 3LC-2000 in PAL/SECAM countries.

- The NHJ wrist TV: i was expecting a crude gadget and was pleasantly surprized by a high quality, bright and colorful picture.

Pictures not necessarily in order, but each file bears the correct TV ID name.

Best Regards

jhalphen
Paris/France

jhalphen
02-21-2010, 08:00 AM
More collectable LCD TVs - Continued

jhalphen
02-21-2010, 08:06 AM
More collectable LCD TVs - Continued Part III

andy
02-21-2010, 10:01 AM

jr_tech
04-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Yikes! I was not even in the correct order of Magnitude for this Sony FD-310! :no:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-SONY-Color-Watchman-FDL-310-FDL-310-Portable-TV-/250615410619?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Televisions&hash=item3a59d7afbb

Is this just nutz? or pretty much the "going price" for one of these that works?

jr

kx250rider
04-22-2010, 11:24 AM
WAY overpriced. I have 3 of them, which I paid $6 to $30 for. Adding insult to injury, that silver vinyl carry case is for a B&W Watchman :thumbsdn:

Charles

jr_tech
06-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Found this Sony set (FDL-250T) on eBay a little while ago... the design is a fairly strange "set on a rope" model.

Picture 1... What is it?
Picture 2... A TV set, but it really does not stand up very well.
Picture 3... Ok, you gotta use the little gizzy thing to prop it up!
Picture 4... Fair reception of a low power analog station, decent viewing angle, perhaps a TFT set?
Picture 5... With the sun-shade raised, an A/V input is exposed for direct connection to a DVD player... 16:9 pix is seen here.

A fun addition to my little Watchman collection, but I can't find a production date... anybody here know when it was made?
jr

Found a PDF manual for the set on Amazon... It is a TFT... product reviews were written in 2001-2002.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-FDL-250T-Watchman-Portable-Silver/dp/B00005I9QP

Trance88
06-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Found this Sony set (FDL-250T) on eBay a little while ago... the design is a fairly strange "set on a rope" model.

Picture 1... What is it?
Picture 2... A TV set, but it really does not stand up very well.
Picture 3... Ok, you gotta use the little gizzy thing to prop it up!
Picture 4... Fair reception of a low power analog station, decent viewing angle, perhaps a TFT set?

A fun addition to my little Watchman collection, but I can't find a production date... anybody here know when it was made?
jr

Found a PDF manual for the set on Amazon... It is a TFT... product reviews were written in 2001-2002.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-FDL-250T-Watchman-Portable-Silver/dp/B00005I9QP
Cool little modern one. I was gonna guess 1999 or so when this model came out. It kinda reminds me of those iMac's that come in various colors from the same time period.

kx250rider
06-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Nice set, and the only clam shell TV I can think of. I got that one, and my LCD Sony color collection has grown exponentially :). I'll put up new pics asap. I still need the 4.5" FDL-4500 (if I'm correct), and only one or two others to be 100% complete on the US market sets.

Charles

akent36
06-29-2010, 01:25 PM
I stared at the Philco Safari when it was new!

jr_tech
06-29-2010, 01:46 PM
akent36 said: "I stared at the Philco Safari when it was new!"

Ahh Yes! The "big Watchman" :D
jr