View Full Version : Olympic tv922L

edison64
02-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Anyone hava an extra Sams 67-15??
I picked up a nice Olympic TV922l last week, and have had no luck finding anything on the set, I suspect its a 630 clone frome 47-48 thanks.

Eric H
02-17-2010, 10:56 PM
It's not a 630 clone but probably a Tele-Tone based on that knob layout.

Eric H
02-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Retraction, maybe not a Tele-tone, I was trying to remember where I'd seen that knob layout before and it was on my Olympic!

The 7" Tele-Tone has a similar layout but obviously this isn't an Electrostatic set.

Maybe it is a reworked 630.

My Olympic has a chassis similar to an RCA type but not quite like any other set I've seen either.

The only Sams I have is an 85-10 for an Olympic TV-947, 949, 950
same knob layout but I don't know how close the chassis is.

Does your chassis look anything like this?
http://www.vintagetvsets.com/images/olychas.jpg

edison64
02-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Ok here is what I have so far, after removing the chassis, the only noticable repairs were replacing a few tubes, nothing later than 1952. a good sign? after looking at the sams, it may be that someone recaped the set in that time frame as it has alot of "BEES":tears: the sams clearly shows traditional paper styles. I noticed an RCA connector on the side of the chassis, not accessable unless you pull the chassis. my bet is signal injection point? also there is a switch on the back. not listed in the service notes.

Eric H
02-25-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm working on an Olympic now, model unknown but the chassis looks the same.

The switch on the back is a Local/Fringe selector.
Are you sure that's an RCA connector? Mine has a hole on the side but it's just the other end of the Horizontal Frequency coil, a lot of RCA's have it too.

I think this is a modified (Muntzed?) version of an RCA 721, I have a Tele-Tone that has a very similar chassis but the knobs on the front are laid out in the RCA style of straight up and down.

edison64
02-27-2010, 02:19 PM
Well, had some time last night so I decided to pull the crt and check some tubes, only 13 out of the 23 were bad or questionable.:sigh: so now its time to do some chassis cleaning and tube searching from the stash. now for the cap order. keep you posted.

wa2ise
02-28-2010, 12:54 AM
after looking at the sams, it may be that someone recaped the set in that time frame as it has alot of "BEES":tears:

Time for a re-re-cap... :D