View Full Version : Sony Profeel TV in Santa Monica (attn KX250)

Eric H
02-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Looks nearly new with the box and accessories.
$0.10 starting price too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-Profeel-KX-1901A-HG-Trinitron-TV-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ290403182550QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVi ntage_Electronics_R2?hash=item439d60e7d6

kx250rider
02-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the heads up! I bid & lost on the same seller's "as new in box" KX-1211 last week. I hadn't noticed this one yet. I need another 19" like a hole in the head, but the box is a gem!

Charles

ChrisW6ATV
02-16-2010, 02:20 PM
I loved my KX-1901 setup. The retail price was US$850, though, at least on the 1901 (not the 1901A). The KX-2501 was $1500! For 1982, these sets had a fantastic picture.

Jeffhs
02-16-2010, 03:00 PM
I question the seller's claim that this TV will receive all channels with just a VCR connected to it. Twenty-five years ago and more this was true, but not in this day and age of all-digital television signals. This set requires at least an ATSC->NTSC converter box or a cable/satellite hookup before it will receive anything other than hard-wired video signals from VCRs or DVDs--it absolutely will not work with just an antenna connected directly to the terminals.

The person selling this obviously does not know or refuses to believe that the analog TV era is over. Sad to say, but there are still many, many people in the US, almost eight months after the DTV transition, who are still wondering why their old televisions do not work any longer. :no:

jr_tech
02-16-2010, 03:33 PM
The point that the seller perhaps made poorly is that this TV is a monitor only and has no built-in tuner of *any* type. It *must* be connected to an external video source to display a picture. A VCR connected to cable will provide some video.:yes:
Sony *did* sell a tuner for this monitor, but a fair number of buyers did not bother to purchase it. It was packaged in a small external box, about the size of a small VCR. I used the 25" version of this set that I had years ago, by connecting directly to C-band sat, VCRs and a Laser disc player... GREAT video!
There are also no speakers in this monitor...although Sony sold a pair that mounted to the side of the set and stuck out like "ears".

jr

kx250rider
02-17-2010, 10:38 AM
I've exchanged eMails with him, and he's OK. His father was a Sony dealer in Los Angeles, and I guess had built up quite a collection of old Sony products. He knows it's only a monitor, as far as I understand. He probably assumes we're talking a newer VCR with an ATSC tuner in it.

Charles

Eric H
02-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Does this have a component input or only composite?

andy
02-17-2010, 01:00 PM

Eric H
02-17-2010, 01:56 PM
It has RGB which is better than component.

Is that the same as S-Video?

site123a
02-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Is that the same as S-Video?

The analog RGB is like a VGA connection, but made for professional video equipment (like VTR's).

andy
02-17-2010, 05:22 PM

Robert Grant
02-17-2010, 09:22 PM
I question the seller's claim that this TV will receive all channels with just a VCR connected to it. Twenty-five years ago and more this was true, but not in this day and age of all-digital television signals. This set requires at least an ATSC->NTSC converter box or a cable/satellite hookup before it will receive anything other than hard-wired video signals from VCRs or DVDs--it absolutely will not work with just an antenna connected directly to the terminals.

The person selling this obviously does not know or refuses to believe that the analog TV era is over. Sad to say, but there are still many, many people in the US, almost eight months after the DTV transition, who are still wondering why their old televisions do not work any longer. :no:

I think his claim may be both an innocent mistake and, from his own point of view, an accurate statement (locally).

If a cable-ready VCR is hooked up to a cable system that still has a wide selection of NTSC analog cable signals (there are many still out there), then the VCR's tuner will tune the unencrypted channels in just fine.
As far as the digital transition, he probably has never heard of anyone watching TV without cable, especially coming from California, which had high cable penetration rates early in the game.

kx250rider
02-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Just FYI: All I want is the box & packing material, and accessory packet, if I win the set. If anyone here plans to bid on it besides me, let's PM before it closes, and discuss.

Charles