View Full Version : Here's a real challenge for someone

bandersen
02-01-2010, 06:23 PM
I think this Predicta spent a little time outside :scratch2:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1950s-Philco-PREDICTA-TV-Swivel-Screen-UHF_W0QQitemZ290394848417QQ

zenithfan1
02-01-2010, 06:57 PM
EEEEWWW! That one needs help desperately.

Rental Limo
02-01-2010, 08:45 PM
I think this Predicta spent a little time outside :scratch2:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1950s-Philco-PREDICTA-TV-Swivel-Screen-UHF_W0QQitemZ290394848417QQ

Outside, or maybe in a very damp basement covered in musty clothes! Anyways its not a total loss. Is that safety glass that is cracked, or is that part of the CRT? For the price it could make a good parts set. The first Predicta ive seen was on the Revenge Of The Nerds movie. I have not seen one in real life though. Maybe i will find one at the dump, or in the garbage someday. Who knows what you will find, but i am not counting on it though. I should of bribed the dump workers with a 10 dollar bill last year for that Heathkit tube amp, and matching tuner ive seen. I asked if i could have them, but they would not let me take them. Maybe bribing would of helped!

7"estatdef
02-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Ya know from the outside it doesn't look that bad. But that chaiss is rough!!! Oh btw the plastic on the front of the crt is separate from the crt.
Terry

jr_tech
02-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Wow! :yikes: Does Naval Jelly come in 5 Gallon containers? What do restorers do when the photo finish is shot?... veneer over the whole works, or is there some method of printing a new covering?

jr

truetone36
02-02-2010, 01:59 PM
My little Philco briefcase 19" set was nearly that bad. It had the same moldy stuff on the CRT as well.

bandersen
02-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Wow! :yikes: Does Naval Jelly come in 5 Gallon containers? What do restorers do when the photo finish is shot?... veneer over the whole works, or is there some method of printing a new covering?

jr

This is the best technique I've come across: http://pages.cthome.net/ptf/photofin/photoFinish.html

Printout wood grain in black & white then apply color with stains, oils or artist pencils.

My little Philco briefcase 19" set was nearly that bad. It had the same moldy stuff on the CRT as well.

I think it's some type of soy based plastic that can go moldy :yuck:

zenithfan1
02-02-2010, 04:56 PM
I felt like a challenge, I threw in a bid. I won't go very high though :no: I wonder if it could ever work again, or look like it would.....

Reece
02-02-2010, 06:01 PM
That other link to repairing photofinish doesn't work, found this one:

http://www.radioatticarchives.com/features/schooley_photo-finish.htm

Another thing you can do if the damage isn't too severe is to use a variety of colored pencils in the tones used on the radio to repair it following the original "grain," then go over it and blend sparingly with thinned oil paint.

bandersen
02-02-2010, 06:53 PM
That other link to repairing photofinish doesn't work...

Just curious - you mean you can't open it ? I had a couple friends open it and they had no troubles. Anyway - it's a site created by the same guys as in your link.

Charlie
02-03-2010, 08:40 AM
I felt like a challenge, I threw in a bid.

The challenge being to restore it, or to take it out of the box without getting dirty??? :D

If nothing else, maybe you'll get it and find a good CRT. Might have been replaced at some point. Isn't that one of those toobs that normally fizzles out prematurely?

That set has lived a hard life!!

kx250rider
02-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Basket case. But at least it has the UHF knobs on it in possibly decent shape (vulnerable; always broken). I'd pull the knobs, and the CRT if it's any good, and send the rest to the crusher.

Charles

bandersen
02-03-2010, 12:54 PM
The challenge being to restore it, or to take it out of the box without getting dirty??? :D

If nothing else, maybe you'll get it and find a good CRT. Might have been replaced at some point. Isn't that one of those toobs that normally fizzles out prematurely?

Yeah, I think this is the 21" CRT that's prone to burn out. The 17" CRTs aren't so bad.

zenithfan1
02-03-2010, 02:49 PM

I'm afraid that set would not only get me dirty, but if shipped it would likely turn to dust in the box..

Well, I'm out. 17 bucks is too much even though this things only a half hour away. I already have too many projects waiting for me to finish my shop area so I can restore them. I've been dying to work on a set lately and have nowhere good to do it right now. I'm not taking the chance on a fizzled out tube either:no:

bandersen
02-03-2010, 02:59 PM
$27 now - some guys really go nuts for these sets in any condition.
I like how they have the shipping listed as $13.64 via UPS. I realize I'm not too far away, but they had better pack a set like this very well if they expect it to not "turn to dust"!

kx250rider
02-04-2010, 08:39 AM
$27 now - some guys really go nuts for these sets in any condition.

Whatever floats their boat.... I dislike them in any condition due to their cheap engineering, and they work poorly even when in top shape. And to boot, they're probably more common than a 2007 Sony flat screen.

Charles

Dave S
02-05-2010, 11:31 PM
I think it's some type of soy based plastic that can go moldy :yuck:

It's not mold. It's the plastic decomposing. (Mold doesn't easily even grow on plastic, although that set looks like it might have been somewhere where anything could grow!) There are a couple of threads here and elsewhere on the subject.

We had a young member of our club who had a lot of time -- and probably a lot of stubbornness -- who cleaned up a Predicta that was even worse than this one and it actually came out pretty good, so don't write it off as a parts set yet, but it would be a LOT of work.

bandersen
02-06-2010, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the info. I've read it's a common issue with predictas but wasn't sure what the culprit was.
I guess I'm lucky that mine only has some scratches. Not that it works yet, but it will again someday!

Dave S
02-06-2010, 12:49 AM
The corner of my living room where I keep one of my Predictas always smells a little bit like puke (fainter or stronger, according to the weather) or maybe like someone who hasn't bathed in a while. That's only one of the reasons my old TVs have a low "WAF" (Wife Acceptance Factor.)

From AntiqueRadios.com: the cause is the butyrate plastic used in the cover. This material normally smells like rancid butter, since it is the same family of chemicals in both cases (also present in human body odor). Philco originally masked the odor with a coverup fragrance, but over the years this cover-up has dispersed. It's possible that the odor also could represent an accelerated breakdown of the plastic. It does seem to get worse in warm weather. There is a wide variation in how bad these covers stink. Some don't seem to smell bad at all, and others outright reek. I've noticed in general that the ones that are cracked are the ones that smell the least. On the later model Predictas, Philco supposedly changed the formulation, and those covers seem to have little or no odor, but also seem to be the ones most prone to cracking.

From Wikipedia: Butyric acid (from Greek βούτυρος = butter), also known under the systematic name butanoic acid, is a carboxylic acid with the structural formula CH3CH2CH2-COOH. Salts and esters of butyric acid are known as butyrates or butanoates. Butyric acid is found in rancid butter, parmesan cheese, vomit, and body odor and has an unpleasant smell and acrid taste, with a sweetish aftertaste (similar to ether).

kvflyer
02-06-2010, 08:25 AM
While I don't have a Predicta, I know what you are talking about. Some present owners have sprayed the plastic with a quality clear coat and that seems to slow the process. But it changes the look and finish of the CRT enclosure.

You may also notice that if you have a drawer in your toolbox that has screwdrivers, Craftsman comes to mind, you will experience the same smell. It does wash off but comes back when the humidity in my basement goes up in the summer. They get a white mold looking covering that can be a challenge to get off. Knobs on old radios and TVs get the same covering.

marty59
02-06-2010, 09:21 AM
I must be fortunate with my Predicta Barberpole....The screen plastic has been staying stable but sure, if I put my nose on it that smell is (always) there. It used to be worse! When I had first got it, stunk pretty bad but it also had that white crusty mold on it and thick!
I took the screen off and gently washed it in the bathtub with Dawn, that's all I've done with it. I would imagine higher humidities and dampness would be a problem.

Don't you guys with basements use a de-humidifier? When I grew up in Michigan I was usually stuck with the duties of emptying the tray out then I got smart and rigged it up over the floor drain!
But the basement did stay dry and not musty. Plastics didn't get attacked with the white crusty mold either.

kvflyer
02-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Don't you guys with basements use a de-humidifier? ...

A dehumidifier would be great. But with the dirt floor, it is a little bit of a waste of time. Would be nice! And, I do not have air conditioning, live in Baltimore and if one doesn't think we have humidity, that person has not been here ;)

Phil Nelson
02-06-2010, 01:52 PM
The cover on my Predicta barberpole has not been a problem in the 10 or so years I've owned it. Never noticed a smell, but I just walked over and stuck my nose against it, and there is a faint odor.

It didn't have cloudiness when I got it. I polished a couple of spots that were scratched, using Novus #2. Hasn't changed appearance since then. This is the humid Pacific NW, so maybe I'm just lucky.

My only screen issue is a piece of something -- maybe a fleck of tobacco or a little piece of dried grass -- stuck between the cover and the CRT face. Must have gotten in there when the CRT was replaced. I looked into pulling off the cover, but it's such a hassle with that spring on the bottom that I decided to ignore it for now.

Phil

bgadow
02-06-2010, 09:28 PM
I have a later Predicta, one of the cheap "motel" models, no mold, no smell. But I have a GE console radio from about 1939 and the plastic dial bezel was so bad I had to move the radio. When I got married it was parked in the bedroom and my bride was not going to put up with that constant smell! It has some cracks, too...someday, if my woodworking skills get good enough, I think I'll recreate it in wood.

jr_tech
02-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Final... $134.49 Yikes!

jr

Charlie
02-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Wow... someone must really feel optimistic about that set! I wonder if the buyer's plan is to rebuild or use it for parts.

Ampico-kid
02-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Wow... someone must really feel optimistic about that set! I wonder if the buyer's plan is to rebuild or use it for parts.

Well I sure hope one of the parts they're counting on is not the front crt cover. I think it's by far the most valueable part of this style Predicta and this one is cracked in several different places.

Cleaning and polishing the cover is no big deal, but a crack can't be fixed. A good replacement will be next to impossible to find and if you are lucky enought to locate one, it's probably cracked. Good luck on this one, whoever the successful bidder was.

leadlike
02-08-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but have there ever been any attempts to vacuum-mold new crt covers? All one would need would be the cracked/moldy original to make the mold, and then quite a few could be turned out.

Really simple stuff. Oh yeah, you'll need $20k* worth of equipment too...

*I did see a video of someone with a homebuilt vacuum mold setup, softening the plastic sheeting in their kitchen oven, all this to make their own Ghostbusters proton pack.

Charlie
02-08-2010, 11:59 AM
The people over at www.predicta.com claim to have the ability to remake most predicta parts. I wonder if they still get orders for sets? Seems if they have the ability to replicate parts, they'd be able to make a decent amount of change on the side.

7"estatdef
02-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Tnx guys! I was wondering why my Siesta has B.O.
Terry

zenithfan1
02-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Final... $134.49 Yikes!

jr

I saw that too, INSANE I say!! :eek::screwy:

bandersen
03-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Man, there sure are a lot of nasty, nasty Predictas out there - especially the 21" sets.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHILCO-PREDICTA-TELEVISION-TABLE-MODEL_W0QQitemZ110501958324

Eric H
03-05-2010, 09:05 PM
I heard that Philco dumped a lot of them in the Ocean at the end of their run, maybe someone is fishing them out? :scratch2:

leadlike
03-05-2010, 11:10 PM
I think it's that rotting soy-based plastic shell that really makes these things look terrible. Obviously, these junkers were stored in an attic or garage where they were in less than perfect conditions. But how long before all of the 21" Predictas have rotting screen covers?