View Full Version : What are you going to watch the "Superb owl" on??

zenithfan1
01-31-2010, 05:52 PM
I usually watch it on a '60s Zenith rectangular but this year it's gonna be on the Sony KV-30HS420 I picked up a while back.
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/zenithfan1/000_0517.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/zenithfan1/100_4921.jpg
The screen shots kinda suck but you get the idea.....:yes:
I couldn't resist calling it the Superb owl after reading Doug's estate sale thread :butt1:

sampson159
01-31-2010, 06:03 PM
my xl100 of course!

drh4683
01-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Thats a nice picture on that set.

I normally don't watch the superb owl though. Im one of the few who never got into it I guess. Ever since I was a kid, I never really gave a crap about sports. Too much other stuff fascinated me. I remember super bowl 2004, super bowl 38 or whatever it was, I watched it and they had a real piss poor half time show with all that rap crap. I had to shut the TV off. I remember my co workers all hated it too, we talked about it the next day in discust, haha. I guess the only good thing about the superb owl it is that the family makes some good food while everyone else watches it. The commercial thing is over rated too, most are pretty dumb. Maybe Im just too serious... I just don't click with most people I guess as it seems that football is all everyone ever wants to talk about. But if I do decide to turn on the superb owl, it'll probably be my '73 Zenith Avanti space command 600.

radiotvnut
01-31-2010, 06:36 PM
I probably won't watch it; but, if I were to watch - it would be on one of the following sets that are currently in use:

A. '69 Zenith B&W console (14N22 chassis)
B. '79 19" Zenith "K" line CCII motel set
C. Early '90's 27" CTC169 RCA

My dream is to fix up the '49 Admiral round screen 12" B&W console TV/radio/phonograph and invite over some of the ones in my age group that would turn up their noses at anything smaller than a 50" plasma set. The reaction would be priceless once they saw what they'd be watching it on.

ChrisW6ATV
01-31-2010, 07:15 PM
The Super Bowl, and football in general, are all about change and technical innovation in my mind. (After all, the first SB itself was "only" 43 years ago.) I like all of the upgrades to the broadcast presentations of NFL football in recent years. I will watch and listen to the game on nothing but high-tech equipment, as follows:

Epson Home Cinema 6500UB digital LCD projector with 92" screen
Onkyo TX-SR876 receiver
Self-built Windows 7 Ultimate Media Center home theater DVR computer
Video is HDMI 1080p
Audio is HDMI Dolby Digital 5.1
Signal source is FREE over-the-air from a roof antenna (OK, that is not high-tech!)

This system has fantastic picture and sound, better than I ever thought I would have in my home even ten years ago.

(Now, baseball would be different. I still hate the stupid "designated hitter" idea in the American League, and think watching a game at night in a lit stadium is weird. Chicago's Wrigley Field is normal baseball to me, though I know they put lights in there too, a while back. It might be fun to watch a baseball game on one of my roundie color TVs, except I don't even like major-league baseball anymore since they never did anything about all of the drug problems.)

Sandy G
01-31-2010, 09:49 PM

I normally don't watch the superb owl though. Im one of the few who never got into it I guess. Ever since I was a kid, I never really gave a crap about sports. Too much other stuff fascinated me. I remember super bowl 2004, super bowl 38 or whatever it was, I watched it and they had a real piss poor half time show with all that rap crap. I had to shut the TV off. I remember my co workers all hated it too, we talked about it the next day in discust, haha. I guess the only good thing about the superb owl it is that the family makes some good food while everyone else watches it. The commercial thing is over rated too, most are pretty dumb. Maybe Im just too serious... I just don't click with most people I guess as it seems that football is all everyone ever wants to talk about. But if I do decide to turn on the superb owl, it'll probably be my '73 Zenith Avanti space command 600.

Amen ! I was/am a big kid, & all the coaches salivated over me, but I discovered rather early on that I DIDN'T particularly like to hit anyone, or have the hell knocked outta me...I just never saw the "point" in all of it...Sports, to my way of thinking, are supposed to be FUN, first & foremost, & getting the Hell knocked outta you just wasn't my cup of tea.

zenith2134
01-31-2010, 10:00 PM
I know what you mean, Sandy. I'm a big kid too but was never too athletic. I do however plan on watching the 'Owl ....damn Jets though man :thumbsdn: woulda been nice. Chris, i'm not much into home theater but if I was going to set-up a surround system i must say that is a nice Onkyo unit.

Probably gonna be watchin' the trusty ol 1979 system-3 25" w/ zoom and ultrasonic S.C. ... have it set up with a Z converter box in the shed where I work on projects from time-to-time.

ihmeyers
01-31-2010, 10:28 PM
I'll watch the game with my son on our regular set a 50" Sony LCD. A couple of times a year I watch vintage Super Bowls on my '66 Admiral. I've got a couple of early ones on DVD including Super Bowl III (Jets vs. Colts).

I have always loved sports (especially baseball and football) and vintage electronics. I vividly remember watching the '69 Mets on my grandparents old Dumont set.

I bet for a living, and though it's mostly horses, the Super Bowl is a big deal in my house.

kx250rider
02-01-2010, 10:01 AM
I'm not watching, as that's the best time to go out for a wild & crazy motorcycle ride. Rip through all the usual congested Los Angeles freeways... NO traffic, and all the cops are pulled over under trees watching the game on their Sony Watchmans.

Charles

Zenith26kc20
02-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Zenith 24MC33 (of course!).
Replaced the vertical output and checked the parameters. They all appear fine.
Digital Stream converter
Channel Master 4251 (the game station is 55 miles away from me when I'm in Bay Saint Louis)
Channel Master7777 amplifier
Some small audio system so the buzz on graphics is eliminated
hamburgers, Heinekins and whatever else I can think of!
Normally wouldn't care but I'm in New Orleans during the week and the Saints are in the Superbowl!
I pity the city (Mardi Gras) if the Saint's win.

Kalamazoo-DJ
02-01-2010, 03:11 PM
The Magnavox roundie combo or Zenith 25MC33 but to catch the score ticker I will use a ctc187

Dan Starnes
02-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Wont be watching. Probably spend the time watching Have Gun Will Travel and Gunsmoke.

matt_s78mn
02-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Thinking of having a party at my place with some friends, so the big 55" Sanyo DLP will be in use. I'm thinking of setting up my 12" portable b&w zenith and maybe the Predicta if I feel ambitious enough. Of course we'll be watching it over the air, not via cable or satellite.

stromberg67
02-01-2010, 07:47 PM
I'll fire up the CTC-4 along side the 1970 Sylvania D-11 portable. Along with some wings, and a few cold 807's, it should be a fun time!
Kevin:D

bandersen
02-01-2010, 08:36 PM
"superb owl" LOL - a new internet meme is born :D

I'll be watching the game at my parents place. I think my sister is going to be dropping off my 3 nieces so she and her husband can go to another party.
So I'd like to be watching it on their nice 32" late 90s JVC, but I think the kids will get it. That leaves the cheap 26" Vizio LCD set upstairs for the adults :tears:

Jeffhs
02-01-2010, 10:27 PM
I usually watch the Super Bowl with a buddy of mine, but he's going to be busy that day (he is having some friends in for a Super Bowl party) so I'll be watching alone, on my RCA CTC185 XL-100 19" table set which is on cable. This set is a decade old, but still has a nice bright sharp picture -- and now that all TV is digital it looks even better than analog, to me anyway.

As to who wins the SB, it really doesn't matter to me. If the Cleveland Browns would have made it I'd root for them, of course, since I live near Cleveland...well, about 35 miles east of the city. I'd have watched the Pro Bowl yesterday (last Sunday) as two of the Browns' best players made the Eastern team, but the game was on ESPN and my cable service (Time Warner basic, what I call bare-bones basic--broadcast channels only) doesn't carry that channel. It would have been nice if the management (E. W. Scripps) of Cleveland's ABC affiliate would have seen fit to show the game here as well as on ESPN (this would have allowed folks without cable or satellite [or just bare-bones basic cable] to see the game as well), but unfortunately it didn't happen that way. :no: I finally wound up getting the game's final score on the 11 o'clock news, and on the front page of the local newspaper the next morning.

BTW, that "Superb owl" thing was great -- I liked it. I knew that the poster who came up with this meant to type "Superbowl" as one word, but he must have accidentally tapped the spacebar on his keyboard and unwittingly put a space in there, between the b and o. The joke about the so-called "Superb owl" being some mysterious bird from another galaxy that would swoop down on anyone who dared turn an old TV cabinet into a bookcase or bar, or install a modern flat-panel in there and do away with the original chassis, was and is priceless, IMHO. My hat is off to the A/VK member who came up with this. Bravo! :thmbsp:

Sandy G
02-02-2010, 05:28 AM
That was Moi. I remembered reading in one of the "Star Trek" behind the scenes books that Roddenberry was sometimes referred to as such. Apparently, Ol' Gene could be a handful to work for/with sometimes...

zenithfan1
02-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Jeff, that was wa2ise that came up with the "Superb owl" :D And a big thank you to him for the good laugh:) Anyways, anyone hear about all the bs that the NFL is starting about people using the name Superbowl? Sheesh.....
I don't watch much sports and I really suck at playing them but Football used to be fun to watch. Now it's replay after replay after flag after flag.. Things just 'aint what they used to be:no: But I've always been a Bears fan, I know, BOOO! but I still hold onto hope that someday, it will be like '85 for them again.....I'm not holding my breath.:smoke:

kx250rider
02-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Wow; I'm excited now!!!! I'll be somewhere in the middle of the New Mexico desert when the game starts. All alone, FAR from the nearest TV set:banana:

Charles

truetone36
02-04-2010, 09:25 AM
I haven't watched a football game in years. I'll be watching VHS movies on my '72 Zenith 20CC50.

NowhereMan 1966
02-04-2010, 06:27 PM
1982 Zenith System 3, 25 inch console.

zenith2134
02-04-2010, 08:17 PM
What'll you be up to out there, Charles?? I'd say bring a Watchman or something but...well ya know... :sigh:

kx250rider
02-05-2010, 10:24 AM
What'll you be up to out there, Charles?? I'd say bring a Watchman or something but...well ya know... :sigh:

Going to go pick up a prewar RCA TT-5 that I won on eBay Buy-It-Now for $85............... In a dream :nono: . Seriously, I have to go get some storm damage to the roof and ceiling fixed at our Dallas house. I picked Sunday at 5:00AM to leave Los Angeles, as it will be light traffic, and I'll be somewhere in the middle of nowhere in NM when the after-game traffic and drunkards hit the road.

Charles

Carmine
02-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Jeff, that was wa2ise that came up with the "Superb owl" :D And a big thank you to him for the good laugh:)

He may have made the typo... but...

zenithfan1
02-06-2010, 02:01 PM
He may have made the typo... but...

Yup, you made it into the joke:yes::smoke: A big thanks to you too!:D:thmbsp:

jr_tech
02-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Well, I am not a sports fan, and wll be paying little attention to the Superb owl. My wife grew up watching football with her father, and will watch a bit of the game on the old 17 inch '53 Philco that her parents used until they got a color set in the early 70s. Her childhood Philco still works pretty well, with only minor repairs over the years.

jr

zenithfan1
02-07-2011, 04:00 AM
I didn't get a pic of it and I don't have internet at home at the moment but I watched the Superb Owl on my 1959 RCA CTC-9 this year and it was good.....:D Anyone else watch it on an old color set?
It also made me think, did someone watch Superb Owl 1 on this thing? It's very possible as it was definitely in use at that time. It got a new CRT 4-15-68 so it saw lots of use during the '60's.

sampson159
02-07-2011, 08:51 AM
i watched first half on zenith chromacolor set with 25vdmp22 sylvania crt.second half was on rca ctc 9.very enjoyable and the roundie with the packers playing was like the first superbowl.we watched that on a philco roundie

radiotvnut
02-07-2011, 11:26 AM
I sort of watched it on a '79 GE 12" B&W, connected to a digitalstream DTV converter.

kx250rider
02-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Holy Thread Bump!!! I see this is the 2010 SB.

Charles

zenithfan1
02-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Yep, I figured why start a new one? The date's not in the thread title so I figured what the hell. I wonder if it'll make the moderator mad???:D If it does, I guess I'll have to calm myself down:)

jr_tech
02-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Perhaps merge the two into one gigantic "owl" thread?

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=250104

jr

Adam
02-07-2011, 01:01 PM
I haven't watched the Owl since the 90s. Yesterday, I was watching Perry Mason on my 1971 23" b/w Zenith (in the metal cabinet) while working on a 1941 Philco radio (41-295) - lots of yucky rubber wire.

Rental Limo
02-07-2011, 01:29 PM
"All jocks think about is sports. All we think about is sex"

Lewis Skolnick aka Robert Carradine
Revenge Of The Nerds

zenithfan1
02-07-2011, 02:17 PM
"All jocks think about is sports. All we think about is sex"

Lewis Skolnick aka Robert Carradine
Revenge Of The Nerds

Let me tell ya, I'm no jock! draw your own conclusion:smsex:
BTW: I never fixed your radio, I just got too busy. If you want, you can have mine or borrow it until I do fix yours.

Username1
02-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Oh..... was the stupid bowl on already........ I was watching Americas Funniest Videos during that time slot! Yea!

Rental Limo
02-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Let me tell ya, I'm no jock! draw your own conclusion:smsex:
BTW: I never fixed your radio, I just got too busy. If you want, you can have mine or borrow it until I do fix yours.

I dont know if you got it, but i did send you an email awhile ago informing you that i found a parts donor for the radio which i bought at an estate sale for 5 bucks. The radio is missing its original knobs, but it works. The tuning knob was replaced with a lawnmower starter handle lol! I did watch the game on Sunday even though sports is not really my cup of tea. Even though i was less interested in Sundays game compared to the Chicago game it was still good.

stromberg6
02-07-2011, 07:46 PM
I WAS going to watch it on my CTC-4, but we got invited across the street. He had 5 sets in 4 rooms tuned to the game, and all were CRT, so it wasn't a total loss. No matter where you went (unless you were "going" lol), you didn't miss a play. Nice crisp picture tube pics, and a lot of good food and drink to boot.
Nice shots of the Detroit FOX theatre in the Chrysler ad, too. :banana:
Kevin

mwplefty
02-07-2011, 09:48 PM
I WAS going to watch it on my CTC-4, but we got invited across the street. He had 5 sets in 4 rooms tuned to the game, and all were CRT, so it wasn't a total loss. No matter where you went (unless you were "going" lol), you didn't miss a play. Nice crisp picture tube pics, and a lot of good food and drink to boot.
Nice shots of the Detroit FOX theatre in the Chrysler ad, too. :banana:
Kevin

I was at a party at a friend's house whose LCD TV was apparently 3-D. It was a 60" I think and must've been fairly new. We didn't watch the game in 3-D though.

ChrisW6ATV
02-09-2011, 08:47 PM
No matter where you went (unless you were "going" lol), you didn't miss a play.
No TV in the bathroom? They will have to take care of that next year. :)

wa2ise
02-09-2011, 11:24 PM
No TV in the bathroom? ... :)

Maybe a GE Portapotty. :D

bandersen
02-09-2011, 11:27 PM
Maybe a GE Portapotty. :D

:lmao:

freakaftr8
02-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Dude! Two teams and no cheerleaders..... Thats ok, the only time my wife takes her eyes off the game is to watch my face at halftime to make sure im not drooling at the hotties!

BTW, watched at at a friends house on a 42" Vizio. Blah..

NowhereMan 1966
02-16-2011, 07:27 PM

A bit late in responding but I watched it on my 1982 Zenith System 3. We got a 36 inch Sony from my aunt, but everytime the Steelers start to lose, Mom kicks me out of the living room so it was just me and the Zenith in the computer room. Even though we lost, it was kind of cool to watch the current Steelers on the same set I saw Terry Bradshaw play his last game on.

Halftime show, yuck! :puke: I'd like to have seen KISS or even someone like Gino Vannelli. I saw some footage of a concert that Vannelli did in 1978/79 on Youtube and boy, it was fabulous and fast paced.