View Full Version : 1973 Motorola Quasar II

captainmoody
01-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Dean stopped by last weekend, and I finally have a nice Quasar II with the TS-934 chassis. Thanks again Dean!
It came in with no sound, no vertical sweep, and a dim picture. The set appeared to be complete with all the original parts, and looked like it had sat in its unworking state for years!
The crt only needed a slight rejuve and clean to peg the meters, so all was good there. Next, the 6CW5 had pretty much gone to air, and was now functioning as a flashcube so that got replaced. (The picture of it is right after installing the vert out tube and before the rejuv,) (it showed some smear)

The set now displayed an excellent picture, but had no sound whatsoever. That was traced to an open PNP driver transistor in the BA module.
After doing those repairs and some adjustments, it works great now. That is, until the caps on the vertical module start to fail! And we all know they will..
I watched All In The Family on it tonight for 1/2 hour. It worked great, but I don't want to push it until that module is recapped.

drh4683
01-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Did you put an International Servicemaster tube in there over a Motorola "Premium rated tube"????? Just remember, "whenever service is needed, insist on genuine motorola parts and tubes." You are a bad Motorola man for disobeying the rules. Also, that safety interlock is provided for your safety. Do not tamper with it or attempt to defeat it purpose. Serious bodily injury or death may result.

Seriously, it looks great. Love those Motorolas. Is that channel 9 from Canadia?

captainmoody
01-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Yup, I have been a bad tech again! LOL! Yes, that's channel 9 CBC Windsor.