View Full Version : mid 80s RCA Color Trak trash find (pics up)

painkiller64
01-06-2010, 05:52 PM
i recently got an rca color trak jlr968wr tv out of the trash, its the first tv i have seen with a radio built in it lol. also on the back it has a coax input for a "theft alarm" (connect to ul listed class ii alarm system only it says on the sticker)

ill post a pic soon but it works pretty good for how dirty and nasty it is lol.

any thoughts about cleaning it up a bit ? and would could i use that theft alarm input for?

radiotvnut
01-06-2010, 06:17 PM
That's a motel set. Probably uses a CTC120 chassis, which was a good chassis. I think that theft alarm jack is simply connected across a resistor. Probably not much use for it now.

painkiller64
01-06-2010, 06:40 PM
thanks for the info. i took the back off and it sure was ctc120 chassis.
Theres one thing wrong i think maybe, i cleaned the cable/norm switch on the back and no matter what its set to the tuner only goes up to 13, after 13 it looks like it goes really fast to 80 something then back to 03.

Im thinking maybe cracked solder joints cause when i bang on the side of the tv the picture does go crappy/kinda out but that has nothing to do with the tuner..just the possibility of cracked solder joints in other places in the tv.

radiotvnut
01-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Yep, bad solder connections inside the tuner control module, especially around any wirewrap stakes and terminals where it plugs into the tuner module. Very common problem on those sets. The other common problem was an open filter can capacitor in the power supply.