View Full Version : I think these folks are dreaming

radiotvnut
12-28-2009, 05:58 PM
First one looks like a 13" Sears TV from 1980.

The second one is a broken NAP/Philco 13" color TV.

http://bham.craigslist.org/ele/1526554118.html

http://bham.craigslist.org/ele/1526557143.html

These sets wouldn't have brought those kind of prices in the condition they're in even when CRT sets were still worth trying to sell.

freakaftr8
12-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Wow for something these people wanna try to weasel 100 dollars outta someone for you think the least they could do is take some better photos of the sears set. I cannot even see it. You think a flash might be in order?? Mabye they wanna spend that hundred (outragous) bucks for a camera w/ flash. Hmmm.

zenithfan1
12-29-2009, 01:58 PM
People are frickin nuts these days...

Geoff Bourquin
12-29-2009, 08:51 PM
If they used a flash you'd be able to see what they were trying to sell for a hundred bucks

Tom_Ryan
12-30-2009, 02:29 AM
If they used a flash you'd be able to see what they were trying to sell for a hundred bucks

Keeping people in the dark often makes the imagination work harder ...for the right person that can turn into an impulse buy. :D

sampson159
12-30-2009, 06:34 AM
its vintage!! worth big money.i hear this almost everyday.retro,vintage,shabby chic,antique,even art deco.whatever you call it,its still worthless to us.i did stop by the sa yesterday to see mikes latest find.26 inch sylvania "MONITOR".came right out of channel 6 studio.look at all the controls.never built for home use.professional use only.250.00.dont know how i passed that one up.couldnt sleep all night.gonna run over at 9:00 at grab it.then maybe i can get some sleep.thanks mike!!!

Sandy G
12-30-2009, 07:46 AM
Wow !! A 1980 television ! Thirty years old, for ONLY a hunnert bux ! Be still, my flutterin' heart ! Reckon he'll take a hunnert-fifty & promise NOT to sell it in the stampede its undoubtedly gonna cause ?!? Where's mah Checkbook... I MIGHT give $100 for a new, unopened, in-the-box KV-4000/4100, or maybe one of the 1.5" Panasonics in the same shape, but that turkey is good only for a garage/washin' machine room set...Gobble, gobble...

andy
12-30-2009, 09:35 AM

radiotvnut
12-30-2009, 11:29 AM
I'll admit that seeing that $50 broken 13" Philco does bring back some memories of when people, usually older women, would try to sell me their dead TV's for working TV prices. Such sets were usually consoles and when I told them I never paid more than $10 for a broken TV, I'd usually hear something like "I paid $700 for that TV and there's no way I'm going to give it to you for $10 just so you can turn around and make a killing off of it" or "There can't be much wrong with it since it won't come on" or "This is such a pretty cabinet that someone will give me a good price just for the cabinet". I finally got to the point where when someone tried to sell me a broken BPC set, I'd tell them that I wasn't interested because I could get more than I wanted at any given time for free.

andy
12-30-2009, 12:03 PM

DaveWM
12-30-2009, 01:04 PM
or my fav "for its age"

radiotvnut
12-30-2009, 01:48 PM
I love it when buying an old radio or TV and they say, "It used to work". Well, DUH!!!! They all "used to work" at some point.

edison64
12-30-2009, 02:55 PM
I like this line "Well it belonged to my... grandma / grampa,it means a lot to me, I cant sell it for that, I need alot more out of it". So I guess the old folks are only worth so much money. they mean alot to him but for the right overprice, they are history. So how many of us have run across this???

radiotvnut
12-30-2009, 03:31 PM
I like this line "Well it belonged to my... grandma / grampa,it means a lot to me, I cant sell it for that, I need alot more out of it". So I guess the old folks are only worth so much money. they mean alot to him but for the right overprice, they are history. So how many of us have run across this???

That brings to mind the Curtis Mathes tube type console stereo that someone was trying to sell on CL for the bargain price of $2500. I communicated with the seller, who turned out to be some guy in his early '20's, and informed him that he'd be lucky to get $25 and why. He thanked me but said it had too much sentimental value to his Dad to sell it that cheap.

Now, when someone starts that "sentimental value" crap, I tell them that I'm not buying their memories and I'm only going to pay what it's worth to me.

bgadow
12-30-2009, 10:10 PM
My wife is on one of her kicks where she wants to get rid of a lot of "clutter". These are always tough because, well, I like clutter! At least she stays away from my rooms. Anyway, she asked me to sell this vase she inherited from her grandmother. It is cracked; you can buy them all day on ebay for under $100. She wanted me to list it for $65. Naturally it doesn't sell. I have relisted it for $5. This time it has a bid-she may not be happy, but, if you want to get rid of it-really want to get rid of it-you have to be realistic. Anyone remember the SNL skit with Phil Hartman as the pawnbroker who payed "full sentimental value"? He would pay big bucks for a gumball machine ring owned by a loving young couple, but nothing for a big diamond given by a guy who didn't care. Of course, real life doesn't work that way.