View Full Version : Rabbit ears and TV top lights

Mick AV-8
12-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Wondering if anyone wanted to share the pictures of some of the TV top ornaments....
Like rabbit ears and TV lights?
See some that are pretty cool on e-pay.
Also wondering if anyone had any old bakelight rabbit ears that would be good on top of a 1953 Sylvania???
Let me know thanks!

wa2ise
12-02-2009, 11:23 PM
http://www.videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=165746&stc=1&d=1259817752
Here I have an RCA sat/ATSC/cable receiver feeding a VGA monitor, and the receiver is fed by vintage rabbit ears.

bandersen
12-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Cool :thmbsp:
I have some old rabbit ears feeding my DAT1010 ATSC receiver on my RCA 'prison set' :)

Mick AV-8
12-03-2009, 07:27 AM
Banderson

Cool clear TV!
Can you show a few more pics?
Sorry if this has been asked before..but it is a very novel piece.
Reminds me of a Dan Armstrong acrylic guitar my friend had...just like the government...very transparent...well maybe not...

jr_tech
12-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Clocks go well also... This Numechron "TV Clock" is designed to throw some light to the rear (as well as illuminate the numerals) so it functions as a "TV lamp" also. Picture 1

I am afraid that for most collectors with limited space, the best answer is just "MORE TVS". Picture 2

Update: I added 2 more clocks that are cool (IMHO) as "TV clocks"... the Jefferson "Golden Hour" on the left, and an illuminated clock by Mastercrafters (unknown model)*. Picture 3

*found a couple on eBay the model is "Starlight" Model#146.

jr

bandersen
12-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Banderson

Cool clear TV!
Can you show a few more pics?
Sorry if this has been asked before..but it is a very novel piece.
Reminds me of a Dan Armstrong acrylic guitar my friend had...just like the government...very transparent...well maybe not...

Sure. Not so novel if you're locked up :D
It's transparent so guards can see contraband.

My brother-in-law gave it to me as a gag gift :) Works great as my office TV.

Robert Grant
12-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Hmmm.....

I've never seen a color prison TV before. The "good behavior" model, I presume.

I briefly owned a KTV 1210CLR myself, bought one at a thrift store to use on vacation (the town had a small prison), but had no room to bring it home.
What other B&W had electronic tuning with a vable ready tuner?

Phil Nelson
12-03-2009, 02:39 PM
The clear prison TVs are abundant and usually cheap. I assume they are bought by guys in the joint and quickly unloaded after their release (not exactly a badge of honor). I was stumbling through craigslist last night and noticed one advertised as a "see threw" TV.

Here's one of kitchiest TV lamps I've ever seen. The kitties have glowing marbles for eyes. My wife likes 1950s stuff, but said that she'd murder me if I bought it!

Phil

bandersen
12-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Those are some pretty wild eyes Phil :eek:

If you search ebay for "vintage tv lamp", you can find a bunch of interesting lamps like that including the black panther :D

ChrisW6ATV
12-07-2009, 02:03 AM
Clocks go well also... This Numechron "TV Clock" is designed to throw some light to the rear (as well as illuminate the numerals) so it functions as a "TV lamp" also.
I own one of those, and I never figured out why it had that light inside it. Thanks for explaining it!

bandersen
12-07-2009, 02:51 AM
Clocks go well also... This Numechron "TV Clock" is designed to throw some light to the rear (as well as illuminate the numerals) so it functions as a "TV lamp" also. ...

jr

Is there any significance to the different colors for the digits ? I'm bidding on one right now :D

Phil Nelson
12-07-2009, 11:20 AM
The number colors may just be decorative. I have a Numechron TV clock with black numbers for hours/minutes, red for seconds. I have two other early digital clocks, a Numechron Tymeter and a Seth Thomas; both have red for minutes and black for hours/seconds.

Phil

jr_tech
12-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Is there any significance to the different colors for the digits ? I'm bidding on one right now :D

I was told by one TV collector that the clocks with brightly colored digits appeared about the same time as the first color TVs. :scratch2:

They are also available in blonde:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vtg-Pennwood-NUMECHRON-TELE-VISION-TV-Clock-Parts-AS-IS_W0QQitemZ220516746113QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item3357d28381

Update, I found an active blonde one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1956-Television-Clock_W0QQitemZ290376591974QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item439bcb2a66

not affiliated,
jr