View Full Version : RCA 9PC41 Projection set in Virginia

John Folsom
11-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Listed you-know-where, no affiliation. Someone should give it a home.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-early-RCA-projection-TV-model-9PC41-television_W0QQitemZ330380192337QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZTelevisions?hash=item4cec31aa51#ht_500wt_956

Eric H
11-26-2009, 03:29 PM
I'd like to have one of those if I had room.

Wonder if you could put a modern HD Light Engine inside one of those, not that I would but it'd be pretty wild if you could, tell people it's original 1949 color. :D

Eric H
11-26-2009, 03:33 PM
BTW if you have to have one right now there's another one for the bargain priice of $999.99 BIN. :screwy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1949-RCA-Victor-Rear-Projection-Television-9PC41-TV-Set_W0QQitemZ370244047302QQcategoryZ3638QQcmdZView ItemQQ_trksidZp3907.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26i tu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC% 26otn%3D20%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63

Ampico-kid
11-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Listed you-know-where, no affiliation. Someone should give it a home.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-early-RCA-projection-TV-model-9PC41-television_W0QQitemZ330380192337QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZTelevisions?hash=item4cec31aa51#ht_500wt_956

I did.....

zenithfan1
11-26-2009, 06:24 PM
Way to go Bob. She's purdy!

John Folsom
11-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Glad you got it. Those RCA projection sets are a lot of fun to get working.

bgadow
11-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Bob, you're putting plenty of miles on that truck! Congratulations on another great set.

Ampico-kid
11-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Glad you got it. Those RCA projection sets are a lot of fun to get working.

This will be my first projection set and I'm really looking forward to seeing "what makes it tick". I guess that's what I find so interesting about this hobby...exploring all of the different, and in many cases almost unknown, technologies that make it up. Thank goodness for my trusty Ford Ranger, we've seen a lot of miles together the past few years and look forward to many more.
Bob

ohohyodafarted
11-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Way to go Bob!

I will let you restore your's first, then I will have a very high benchmark to try and achieve when I finally get around to doing mine :-)

Bob

Ampico-kid
11-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Santa arrived early in Jamesburg, NJ. I made the 500 mile round trip to Virginia on Saturday to pick up the RCA 9PC41 projection TV.

It turned out to be a beautiful day weatherwise and well worth the trip. The set is almost in mint condition as you can see by the attached photographs. There's virtually no cabinet work that needs to be done.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu143/ampico-kid/CopyofDSC_0218.jpg

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu143/ampico-kid/CopyofDSC_0219.jpg

As for the electronics the thought of 40 tubes and 4 sizeable chassis is kind of daunting, but I intend to go through it slowly and methodically.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu143/ampico-kid/CopyofDSC_0220.jpg

The only down side is the fact that apparently at some time in it's life someone decided to eliminate the remote brightness/contrast control and simply cut the wire coming out of the back of the set. If I can't find a replacement, I'm hoping the set will work without it.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu143/ampico-kid/CopyofDSC_0221.jpg

I'm kind a anxious to see just what's in the mysterious looking tank at the bottom of the cabinet.

This should be a lot of fun....I'll keep you all posted.

Bob

jeyurkon
11-29-2009, 06:43 PM
Wow! That's in great condition! Nice catch!

John

John Folsom
11-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Bob,

The set is designed to work without the remote control. You will need to have the spherical mirror (in the bottom of the "tank") resilvered. The guy at Spectrum Coatings dose an nice job at reasonable prices:

http://www.spectrum-coatings.com/

The flat front-surface mirror in the lid should also be replaced for optimum performance (brightness). Front surface mirrors can be purchased on-line, and a local glass house can cut it down to the trapezoidal shape required.

Check you 5TP4 CRT for emission. If weak, look for a NOS replacement. They go by on ebay every now and then, or maybe a collector has one to spare.

Once you have recapped the set, note that the power supply and video chassis can be run on the bench stand alone for troubleshooting. Likewise, the horizontal/HV chassis and power supply can be run stand alone on the bench, though you will need to clip lead in a temporary horizontal hold control.

Then you can put it all back in the cabinet and hook it all up for final testing and adjustments. I would not recommend setting up the optical barrel on the bench, it is a lot of extra trouble to do so, and you don't need the potential x-ray exposure. But with the optical barrel in the cabinet, the x-ray exposure is minute.

The audio chassis is known to have that rotten rubber covered wire in it, so be prepared to replace some wiring. I would also recommend you replace all the chassis mount wirewould resistors with more modern replacements. The chassis mount resistors are notoriously unreliable.

One it is all tweaked up and working well, you will be surprised at what a bright picture it has.

Good luck and have fun with it!

kvflyer
11-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Excellent, excellent, excellent. Glad you got it for an excellent price too. Wow, until recently, I didn't know that they even existed. Shows how little I knew...

Ampico-kid
11-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Bob,

The set is designed to work without the remote control. You will need to have the spherical mirror (in the bottom of the "tank") resilvered. The guy at Spectrum Coatings dose an nice job at reasonable prices:

http://www.spectrum-coatings.com/

The flat front-surface mirror in the lid should also be replaced for optimum performance (brightness). Front surface mirrors can be purchased on-line, and a local glass house can cut it down to the trapezoidal shape required.

Check you 5TP4 CRT for emission. If weak, look for a NOS replacement. They go by on ebay every now and then, or maybe a collector has one to spare.

Once you have recapped the set, note that the power supply and video chassis can be run on the bench stand alone for troubleshooting. Likewise, the horizontal/HV chassis and power supply can be run stand alone on the bench, though you will need to clip lead in a temporary horizontal hold control.

Then you can put it all back in the cabinet and hook it all up for final testing and adjustments. I would not recommend setting up the optical barrel on the bench, it is a lot of extra trouble to do so, and you don't need the potential x-ray exposure. But with the optical barrel in the cabinet, the x-ray exposure is minute.

The audio chassis is known to have that rotten rubber covered wire in it, so be prepared to replace some wiring. I would also recommend you replace all the chassis mount wirewould resistors with more modern replacements. The chassis mount resistors are notoriously unreliable.

One it is all tweaked up and working well, you will be surprised at what a bright picture it has.

Good luck and have fun with it!

John;
Thanks very much for the information and the insight. I feel better now knowing there are qualified experts like yourself I can turn to if I should hit a brick wall. I've got a project that I'm presently working on, but expect to finish it off in a few more weeks and then....it begins.
Thanks again for your input.
Bob

John Folsom
11-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Bob

Glad to help in any way I can. Chuck A is another good resource, he and I have restored a number of these projection sets. And the good news is there is nothing in that set you cannot find a replacement for. There are lots of the sets out there (relatively speaking), and many of them are just parts sets. Aside from the crappy RCA wafer tuner, these sets perform well once restored.

tvdude1
12-02-2009, 06:44 AM
I picked up one of these monsters a few years ago. Still have it in the basement. Its never been sold, still on the pallet with the yoke and remote control in there sealed boxes. Knobs and instuctions are in a brown envelope stapled in the cabinet. Crt in box and tubes have cardboard sleeves on them. Would you restore it or leave it alone?

leadlike
12-02-2009, 08:47 AM
tvdude-we need to see pictures of that! Your case reminds me of an auction about twenty years ago where a whole bunch of old dealer stock Dumont sets went up on the block. I believe some of the owners went ahead and restored them to working condition, while others were kept as they are.

Phil Nelson
12-02-2009, 12:41 PM
If I had that set, I'd immediately take a bunch of good digital photos and create a web page so that others could enjoy seeing a never-touched original.

As for restoring versus leaving it alone, I'd be tempted to do a Very Special restoration, restuffing all of the paper and electrolytic caps, keeping the original boxes for display, etc.

These sets were designed to be used, not stored in unopened boxes. Turning it on a few times a year to keep the controls limbered up wouldn't do any great harm. If you took photos of the restoration process, that would make interesting reading, too.

Or, you could sell it unrestored for a bundle and let the new owner deal with these hard questions :)

Phil Nelson

tvdude1
12-02-2009, 04:29 PM
I did pick up a second one to restore for 30.00 bucks. Just never got to it. I will get my friend to help me move the set and will take back off it and send pictures to you boys. Right now I am in the middle of finishing part of my basement to display all my sets. The problem is that my color sets take up too much room. Thats why I Like my 7 inch sets, there small and fit on steel shelves.