View Full Version : Really ugly old Sears B&W

Eric H
11-25-2009, 01:19 AM
Gaack, all the charm of a brick. :D
Pretty sure it's Japanese built.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VTG-SEARS-ROEBUCK-tube-TV-TELEVISION-set-antique-1963_W0QQitemZ380181501016QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item5884955458

AUdubon5425
11-25-2009, 06:22 AM
Hell, if it were close by I'd save it.

Sandy G
11-25-2009, 06:34 AM
Me, too. Ebay bollixed up my account-I can't change it, can't cancel it, can't set up a new one-Arrrrgh ! I even called 'em, & of course the dimbulb on the other end of the fone was utterly useless. They said I'd hafta send in something showing my address, S/S, DOB, etc, before I could reset everything...Good Gawd Gertie ! So I guess I'm outta the Ebay business...

maxm
11-25-2009, 01:51 PM
I've seen nicer looking versions of this set for sale in the past, I would get one if I found one locally. Its interesting to me from a technical aspect. This must have been one of the first Japanese tube TVs sold in this US?

Eric H
11-25-2009, 05:45 PM
I'd take it too, ugly or not.

You could stick a Hallicrafters logo on it and pass it off as a super rare set designed by Ray Lowey.

bgadow
11-25-2009, 10:32 PM
I had one similiar but it was slightly older, with a very rounded crt. Otherwise the cabinet (especially the back) were pretty much the same. Notice that they didn't want to tarnish (no pun intended, but I'll take it!) the Silvertone name on these. Anyway, the one I had kinda worked, and wouldn't have taken much to get going. It was given to me and I don't know why I didn't keep it. I believe they hold the distinction of being the first Japanese TV sets sold with an American nameplate. I am pretty sure they were made by Toshiba.

Carmine
11-26-2009, 10:55 AM
I found one of those in a batch of old sets. Everybody is correct, it's a re-badged Toshiba. It weighs a ton. I sold mine on eBay years ago.

Jeffhs
11-27-2009, 11:30 PM
The 1960s Silvertone portables weren't much to look at as far as the cabinets were concerned. When I was growing up we had a 1965-vintage 17" Silvertone all-channel portable in a charcoal-black cabinet; the set had all the good looks of a dirty wet noodle. However, the set worked, and well, for the next ten years, even after being hurled down a flight of stairs in a fit of anger by my then-stepmother in the early '70s. To this day I am amazed the CRT didn't implode when the set hit the wall at the foot of the stairs. :eek:

wkand
11-29-2009, 03:02 AM
I had a 12 inch Sears portable from 1967 in 1976-86. The only problem it ever had was a blown diode in the full-wave power supply. It too was rather um, not pretty. The VHF and UHF tuner dials stuck out the sides of the set on either side of the front firing speaker. Gunmetal grey plastic cabinet. It had very tinney sound, but darn if it wasn't as reliable as a Checker Cab!! I never tried the "toss down the stairs" trick however...

The plastic was very high quality as well. It never got brittle. It was definitely a Toshiba.