View Full Version : Does anyone Know what set this is?

50scraze
11-19-2009, 03:24 PM
My first post, long time reader here looking for my first set! I found one locally but it looks a little weird to me. The crt doesn't look right...like there's a new TV in the cabinet? Of course i'm no expert. I love the style of the cabinet but i dont want it if its a frankenset. Seller doesn't even state what brand it is...but the price is $50.00 so any info on this would be great!

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/4931/3m63p33l55tf5p25re9b872.jpg

Eric H
11-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Almost certain to be a Frankenset, the CRT is too square to be from the 60's.
As to what it was, it look a lot like the Olympics discussed in another thread here though it could be any one of dozens of odd brands made back then.

Phil Nelson
11-19-2009, 04:37 PM
I think I see the black picture tube bezel of a modern set in there. I'd ask the owner for a photo showing the insides from the back.

Phil

bgadow
11-19-2009, 10:13 PM
I am 99.99% sure it has been gutted. The thing that makes it look odd is the bezel has been reshaped to sorta fit. I'm curious just how they did that, whether they cut away the old bezel or fabricated a new one. Doesn't really matter-I wouldn't want to do this to any old set!

Shouldn't be too hard to find a set that age to play with. I don't know where you are located but if you were near me I'd set you up with something quick!

And, after thinking about it a minute, I am 100% sure...

kx250rider
11-20-2009, 10:23 AM
I agree with Bryan. And look at that speaker cloth! That was in one of those yuppie-retro hippie apartments in a trendy part of town someplace. Or maybe only in someone's nightmare. I say it's a 20" modern color set in an old B&W console; maybe a Magnavox, with the original tuner still there.

Charles

50scraze
11-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the info...I knew something looked weird on this set. Im located near the Phoenix area and I have seen a few older sets on craigslist, I want to stick with a modern style set but they seem to be a little harder to find. I just keep looking since I know sooner or later something will turn up :yes:

I found this nice color set ...its a little pricey for me! Maybe someone here can save it?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/atq/1468452631.html

old_tv_nut
11-20-2009, 06:54 PM
someone who knows will chime in I'm sure, but 1957 seems way too early - more like 1963?

Sandy G
11-20-2009, 07:35 PM
That's what I was thinkin', too....I don't think Zenith fooled w/color before 1962-63...After Commander Eugene F. McDonald, Jr., the Big Boss of Zenith, had died in '58. Early color was really ALL RCA's show, & The Commander DESPISED Sarnoff...

Carmine
11-20-2009, 10:18 PM
That's what I was thinkin', too....I don't think Zenith fooled w/color before 1962-63...After Commander Eugene F. McDonald, Jr., the Big Boss of Zenith, had died in '58. Early color was really ALL RCA's show, & The Commander DESPISED Sarnoff...

Zenith had color prototypes in the same early 50s era as the others, also a prototype rectangular, like the Westinghouse in the other thread.

As for the subject of the thread... WOW. I would have grabbed that in a heartbeat if I was still in Phoenix.. Only saw one late 60s tube set the entire time I lived there, and often went to estate sales!

I've even been to that same "habitat" re-store! :banana: Normally, you'd be lucky to see a 90s Funai set in there!

AUdubon5425
11-20-2009, 10:35 PM
$688??? Only if a topless girl pops out the back on command...

kx250rider
11-21-2009, 10:17 AM
That's '64-'65-ish... Nice set, but I can't see more than $100 or so, especially with the cataract.

Charles

50scraze
11-21-2009, 08:48 PM
As for the subject of the thread... WOW. I would have grabbed that in a heartbeat if I was still in Phoenix.. Only saw one late 60s tube set the entire time I lived there, and often went to estate sales!

I've even been to that same "habitat" re-store! :banana: Normally, you'd be lucky to see a 90s Funai set in there!

I have to admit im a little anxious to grab any set. You guys who live on the east coast seem to have it made! Here in Phoenix finding a decent vintage set is a job in its self! Its hard to find any tube set and the few that ive seen have been gutted, or they are really overpriced like the Zenith. :(