View Full Version : spring time purchase.

newhallone
11-09-2009, 01:03 PM
I am contemplating buying a new tv or projector. GASP!! Yes I like my old stuff but I thought I would do an upgrade for my home theater room. I am way out of touch with what is current. I figured I would save my braincells for other things until the time came to upgrade. From the front edge of my couch to the wall where the screen would go is 9 foot. I am thinking a 42". I could go with a projector as well. This is a big can of worms but a few helpful comments could help narrow the field.

What brands/models are least likely to end up breaking having problems? That is my main concern. I am sick and tired of new stuff not lasting. I guess viewing quality,longevity, and price would come next.

old_tv_nut
11-09-2009, 02:07 PM
HD is designed for viewing as close as 3x picture height - so if it fits and you can afford it, a set larger than 42" would be beneficial. Something like 64" would meet the 3x criterion. On the other hand, that 3x picture height assumes they aren't starving the bits - slightly smaller will make artifacts less visible. 55" might be the sweet spot, still large enough to get you into the experience, but also comfortable when you are in front of the couch.

edit - nothing above considers the WAF

newhallone
11-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Yeah the cable/dish company would not like me. There is no reason for artifacts. Why bother with Hi def if it looks like crap. I have room to go bigger. I just need room under whatever I get for my roundie.

ChrisW6ATV
11-09-2009, 07:08 PM
As far as brands, Sony and Samsung make the best LCD TVs, and they are more likely than off-brands to actually have parts or service information available (Sony, at least). At 9 feet, 42" will be OK but a 52"+ display will be much more enjoyable. Get a Blu-ray player for the best HD movie experience, and DVDs will look pretty good from the player as well. If you want to consider a plasma TV as well, Panasonic is the only current brand to buy; they are far above the others (except Pioneer, who stopped making TV sets). Make sure to get a 1080p set especially if you buy a plasma TV, and do NOT buy your hook-up cables at Best Buy or Radio Shack!

Projectors are by far the best home theater experience of all (I view a 92" picture about 9 feet from my couch!), but they definitely take more work to live with. You need to be able to make your viewing room quite dark, unless you are only going to watch it at night (or only sports in the daytime, and even then you need at least a moderately-dark room). I have pull-down room-darkening shades in my living room and the adjacent kitchen for daytime viewing. You also have to be able to install a pull-down or fixed large screen, and you need to run one or more cables from the projector (on the ceiling or a shelf above/behind your couch) to your other equipment.

newhallone
11-09-2009, 09:31 PM
My room has no windows. It is actually a recording studio control room/ home theater room. Not sound proof, but I have bass traps, and absorbers to tame things, and to at least cut down on stuff getting in and out.

sampson159
11-09-2009, 09:57 PM
i have a sony 65 lcd upstairs in the living room.3 years old and i bought it in cleveland at one of those refurbishers.it was a return and less than 3 months old.excellent picture and no problems what so ever.in the movie room i have a 106 inch infocus projector.it is going on 4 years old now with about 6600 hours on it.it flickers on low power occasionally.we just jack it up to high power for a minute or two and i m good for a month.it was on sale for 499.00 including the screen.best investment i have made in electronics.really pleased with picture and performance.in76 model.i ve been to all the high dollar stores, looked at the expensive units and i like this.it is as good as any and the price?infocus makes a good projector.never had a plasma though.i do like dlp.my friend has a sony dlp 52"that has an unbelievable picture.

Duane
11-10-2009, 11:35 AM
This is a tough call.Your room has control over ambient light so it's a perfect candidate for a projector.But,the room has to be dark in order to reap the full benefit of a projector. If you have walls that reflect light back onto a screen then the image is washed out a bit.The room needs to be dark.
The digital projectors have improved considerably over the years as far as image quality. They do require some maintenence (filter and bulb replacement). They are basically plug and play and weigh almost nothing compared to the monster CRT projectors.
Seated 9' away isn't an issue with the best images. IMO, the downside to a bigger image is source material.If you show standard def images, they can be awfully annoying. Some people will have a setup for both. A smaller flat panel tv (lcd/plasma,etc) for TV viewing and then have a screen drop in front of it for movies/HD.

I used to have a room with a CRT setup (different projectors over a 10 year period) and I have to be honest, I got tired of the total darkened room.Got a little depressing over time and went back to a standard TV (RPs and tube sets). I now have a 50" plasma set that doesn't get washed out with normal room light and the image is like looking at a large CRT set with better black levels and fantastic colors.

newhallone
11-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks for all the input. And good timing as well. My buddys parents Curtis Mathis from the late 80's has been getting worse this week. The crt has been slowly going for awhile. I have been meaning to try the beltron on it. But it sounds like it's going to die soon so they are thinking of buying a new set. Today I went to the one independent TV shop in town. they had Sony, Samsung, and LG. They said they could work on and get parts for all the sets they sell. I am going to try and steer them there. Wal-Mart has some Samsung and Sony. But knowing Wal-mart they are more than likely "Made for Wal-Mart" cheap sets. Even though they have a big names. Like the Goodyear Wrangler tires are not the same as from a real tire shop. Cheapened down junk.