View Full Version : HV cage open fro business

Mick AV-8
11-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Here is a picture of the HV section.
looks like the doubler has been replaced with some other type..as it does not look like the filer cap or the pictures in the SAMS.
Going to replace them with the .00047mfd/15000VDC's I just got in the mail.
Can someone tell me how to test the 6800 ohm 1/2W parasitic suppressor. it looks a little frazzled. Not sure what to do there??

jeyurkon
11-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Here is a picture of the HV section.
looks like the doubler has been replaced with some other type..as it does not look like the filer cap or the pictures in the SAMS.
Going to replace them with the .00047mfd/15000VDC's I just got in the mail.
Can someone tell me how to test the 6800 ohm 1/2W parasitic suppressor. it looks a little frazzled. Not sure what to do there??

You can test the resistor with an ohmmeter. There is nothing paralleling it in the circuit that would affect the reading.

It looks like you haven't suffered the caps spewing oil like mine did. The one that you labeled filter is the original one. I'm not surprised that the other one has been replaced already.

John

Mick AV-8
11-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Suppressor resistor looks fried its also kind off crsiped and bubbled..looks open no continuity.
Anything special about this resistor?
Can you find these at Radio Shack?
or is it a special like the others?
Soldered the two 15K replacements in tonite..but now need to fix the suppressor resistor.
I have a bag of 220K/2W resistors...are these two much?

jeyurkon
11-09-2009, 07:11 AM
There's nothing special about it. Radio Shack probably carries them.

The 220K/2Watt is too far off value. You need to use a 6.8K 1/2 watt

John

Mick AV-8
11-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Hi,
Went to Radio Shack and the guy sold me a 5.6K and a 1K Ohms resistors and told me to solder them end to end (series I guess) and this should work for my application.
can you confirm?
Gues with all of the tolerances anyways I am not too far off from the value....that too is probably a question.
Looking forward to getting this in there and plugging it in to see if it works.
Not sure if I even need the variac since I have replaced all of the caps and HV cage.

jeyurkon
11-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Hi,
Went to Radio Shack and the guy sold me a 5.6K and a 1K Ohms resistors and told me to solder them end to end (series I guess) and this should work for my application.
can you confirm?
Gues with all of the tolerances anyways I am not too far off from the value....that too is probably a question.
Looking forward to getting this in there and plugging it in to see if it works.
Not sure if I even need the variac since I have replaced all of the caps and HV cage.

Normaly you could do this but because of the HV involved I'd be concerned about the room available and the joint. PM me your mailing address and I'll send you one.

John

jr_tech
11-09-2009, 01:27 PM
I just looked at the picture of the HV cage... the resistor looks more like a 5 Watt to me... are you sure 1/2 Watt is the proper size?

jr

Mick AV-8
11-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Jr...I will have to recheck the SAMS after work tonight..but I am almost positive it said 1/2W...

John..plenty of room for the two resistors in there..but what do you mean by the joint?
There are a lot of posts in the ceramic block, most of the leads are wrapped around those posts and soldered. But even in the front there are two resistors soldered end to end.Is there something I sould be most aware of when soldering and working in this HV section?

jeyurkon
11-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Jr...I will have to recheck the SAMS after work tonight..but I am almost positive it said 1/2W...

John..plenty of room for the two resistors in there..but what do you mean by the joint?
There are a lot of posts in the ceramic block, most of the leads are wrapped around those posts and soldered. But even in the front there are two resistors soldered end to end.Is there something I sould be most aware of when soldering and working in this HV section?

You don't want to end up with any sharp points close to anything else. If you have room it'll be o.k.

Most of the power will be dissipated in the 5.6K resistor, so it needs to be the full 1/2 watt. Hopefully both are.

It is listed as a half watt. It might have been replaced in the past. Also, 1/2 watt composition resistors were bigger back then just like capacitors. Although the one in the photo doesn't look like a composition.

John

Mick AV-8
11-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Yeep..also checked the parts list and it is 1/2W.
The resistors end to end are in the front of the block. pictured.
So I am going to do a nice smooth solder job with the two resistors.
And give that a go.
Can I also put a section of shrink tube over them..or do you think it will melt in there?

jeyurkon
11-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Yeep..also checked the parts list and it is 1/2W.
The resistors end to end are in the front of the block. pictured.
So I am going to do a nice smooth solder job with the two resistors.
And give that a go.
Can I also put a section of shrink tube over them..or do you think it will melt in there?

You can use heat shrink, but use it only on the leads, not the resistors because it'll interfere with their cooling.

I take it that the two resistors in the photo that are in series are the 1.5meg 2 watt ones between the anode and cathode of the two 5642s. If you notice the solder joints on the 5642s, that what you want yours to look like. Though it's not as critical as it is for them. The service notes remark that it is important for the 5642s that they be smooth blobs. The problem is that they packed everything so close together.

John

Mick AV-8
11-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks John,

Soldered those in nice and smooth used the shrink and closed up the cage.
Refreshed the graphite DAG on the tube. And put the tube back in with a fresh urethane foam gasket on the flange. Gently tightened that up nice. Made a bunch of reference marks on the tube, flanges and side straps..to be sure everything was back to where it was to start. Not to say that that was even right..as this has been worked on for sure over the years.
Even the original 6.8K 1/2W resistor may have been replaced.. it was in some
kind of rubber tubing..and thats what was crispy and bubbled.. for there was a resistor solder in there. I measure is when I cut it out and it was 4.4K...
Tomorrow when I get home I will plug it in..with one hand in my pocket with fingers crossed.
Should I use the variac since I replaced all these parts?

jeyurkon
11-09-2009, 11:13 PM
It wouldn't hurt to have a soft start for even new electrolytics to give them a chance to reform.

John