View Full Version : GE 7-2881C "almost a superadio"

radiotvnut
10-30-2009, 09:21 PM
This is one that someone gave me the other day. Upon first examination, it was DEAD. When I opened it up, it came on with very noisy controls. I cleaned all switches and controls and then discovered that it's performance wasn't what I thought it should have been. It turns out the the trimmers on the tuning cap were out of alignment (probably due to a two legged rat). I aligned the trimmers by ear and the radio then started performing better. When I put it all back together, it was dead once again. Disgusted, I put it to the side. Tonight, I fired it up and it came to life. The FM is fairly hot in terms of sensitivity. The only thing I don't like is the fact that the AFC can't be turned off, making it harder to receive some weaker stations. I think the AM needs some more alignment. This radio has seperate bass and treble controls along with a headphone jack and LED indicators for tuning band and the dial pointer. This looks like the model that was probably just under the "superadio" series. I can't find any information on the model number (7-2881C). The radio was made in Malaysia and the FCC ID# is AEX80A7-2881. I don't know exactly how old this is; but, I'd think it's no older than the late '80's. Any information will be appreciated. This is one of the newest AM/FM portables that I've actually had my hands on that seems to be a decent performer.

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/2009_1030ge0001.jpg

AUdubon5425
10-31-2009, 06:00 AM
Well, my old Superadio is a 7-2880, so you'd think circa 1980 with it being one number off, but I want to say that sets from Malaysia didn't show up until the late 80's.

Anyway, glad it performs well!

P.S. I searched that model number and found some Superadio postings - seems some folks got pretty snobby about these things. One old newsgroup post stated your set was a "Cub" model...the tuning circuit was different and it was not a Superadio.

Oh well. Maybe the 2881 performs better. Imagine the horror. :)

birduldir
11-04-2009, 09:02 PM
I want to say that sets from Malaysia didn't show up until the late 80's.