View Full Version : roundie cateract removal

DaveWM
10-25-2009, 03:10 PM
ok whats the verdict on this, too dangerous to do, to dangerous to live with after done, chance of implosion from doing etc..

My roundie is pretty bad but not interesting in killing myself over it.

is this a common problem?

Dan Starnes
10-25-2009, 03:54 PM
I watched Doug fix one on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/drh4683#p/u/62/5l1EoMmmOcQ

Phil Nelson
10-25-2009, 04:09 PM
It's fairly common, but not universal. I would get the set working well first.

It's a cosmetic issue, like having a cabinet with blemishes. If the TV never works well enough to put in your living room and watch every day, then you can skip the part where you refinish a cabinet or remove a cataract.

Phil Nelson

DaveWM
10-25-2009, 06:47 PM
it will def be the last thing on my list :)

andy
10-25-2009, 07:22 PM
---

sampson159
10-25-2009, 07:34 PM
if your cataract is that bad,you might be able to very easily remove it.i have had a few fall off once the tape is cut.we should all be that lucky!if done properly and all safety precautions taken(eyewear,clothing,etc)this should be routine.good luck!

DaveWM
10-25-2009, 08:49 PM
copy that guys thanks. when I get there (long way off) I will treat it like a loaded gun. thx again.

I am going to be looking for a dud in the mean time to practice on.

joemama99
10-28-2009, 10:27 PM
I did mine on one of our florida hot days.I was sweating bullets because of the leather jacket,heavy pants,kneck scarf,and blast shield that i was wearing.The results were well worth the discomfort.I used doug's guide to do it,and it went exactly like he said.
Just protect yourself so if it does blow,you are only out a tube.

Charlie
10-28-2009, 11:21 PM
The few cataract jobs I did always happened just as Sampson described... pull the tube, start cutting the tape, then PLOP... the damn thing just falls right off!

If it happens that way for you, the worst part will be cleaning that old sticky stuff out of there... it's quite yucky... especially with all the mold and mildew in there.

DaveWM
10-29-2009, 07:57 AM
I am hoping it will do that, its pretty bad, much worse looking than in the video. you can see the PVA material with large cracks in it as well as the shmutz.