View Full Version : I didn't know I was selling this!

Eric H
10-08-2009, 12:02 AM
Wow, nice set, I have one just like it, JUST EXACTLY like it, in fact that first picture is my set, swiped from my Site!
http://www.vintagetvsets.com/emerson571.htm

I reported it to eBay but they apparently aren't going to do anything unless I sign up for their Vero program, too much trouble, not that I think he's really trying to rip anyone off but buyer beware.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Emerson-TV-model-571-10-tabletop-wood-walnut-1948_W0QQitemZ180415460269QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVinta ge_Electronics_R2?hash=item2a019973ad

To be fair he does have some pictures of his own but the one is really dark.

bandersen
10-08-2009, 12:08 AM
I like how the photo of their set is nice and dark so you can't see much detail :rolleyes:

Curious that your set has 5 side vent slots towards the front while theirs has 6.

Eric H
10-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Funny, I hadn't noticed that!
I know there are a couple versions of this set, an A and a B, one has the 5 25Z6 rectifiers like this one and the other uses a 5U4 or Seleniums, can't remember which.
I have both versions, the one in the picture is actually a bit of a beater with the cabinet coming unglued and no back, the other is complete and pretty solid.

jpdylon
10-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Time to start watermarking your pictures Eric. Seems that is the only easy way to thwart people who like to troll the web rather than take real pictures.

Phil Nelson
10-08-2009, 11:53 AM
This is deception, not an innocent mistake. He doesn't mention at all that he doesn't own the TV shown in the first (most prominent) picture.

You should sign up with Vero and call the guy on this trickery. It's not a big hassle. List it as fraud, not a mere technical violation of copyright.

I have a had a bunch of cases of people posting fraudulent auctions or doing other sleazy things with articles and photos copied from my site. In the worst cases, they don't own a radio or TV at all, and are just trying to get free money before anyone wises up.

Ignorance of the rules is no excuse. Deception is deception.

It's not like it will kill the guy to delete one photo from his listing. Maybe it will motivate him to learn the rules before he posts again.

Phil Nelson
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Charlie
10-08-2009, 06:46 PM
I'd just send the guy a message and tell him you're going to report him to ebay if he doesn't remove the photo. Even if he doesn't, he'll know you're on to him and would likely not do it again.

Someone did that with one of my photos a couple of years ago. Someone here on AK caught it... I don't recall who it was... but seems I recall sending the person a message and the photo was removed. I kinda think it was the photo of my Predicta with David Letterman on the screen.

Eric H
10-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Well I see the picture has been removed so eBay must have contacted him after all.

This isn't the first time this has happened, the last guy was quite pig headed about removing my picture but he did after I contacted eBay.

DaveWM
10-09-2009, 12:30 PM
whats wrong with people, why on earth would anyone think that was a good idea to use someone else's pic to sell their item?

I would suspect the worst from that seller.

Duke Nukem
10-09-2009, 03:10 PM
I've been plagued by these problems. Ebay certainly make it difficult to even find right page to report the problem.

However, I've stopped short of watermarking the image where it might interfere with the area of image of interest as it simply defaces the image for normal site visitors. Instead, a copyright message on each image, out of the way and yes easilly removed, but its very removal implies a deliberate act and does hold more sway when you eventually get through to Ebay.

One guy (a well known crook dealer in the UK) was such a burk that he copied part of a webpage - including the links to the original images that still sat on the website. Needless to say, I had a bit of fun there and the pictures got changed to something, erm, well, lets just say a little more "exotic" :lmao:.

TTFN,
Jon

Sandy G
10-09-2009, 04:35 PM
"I didn't know I was selling this"- Learn somethin' every day, huh, Eric ? (grin) Still, that is pretty chitty. Bet you wouldn't have minded if the shnook had just bothered to ASK. The lack of civility & general manners today is just appalling. But don't get me started...

Phil Nelson
10-09-2009, 05:47 PM
copied part of a webpage - including the links to the original images that still sat on the website.
This has happened to me a couple of times. I made some big red images that say FRAUD!!! Once a bunch of those appear in the seller's listing, the auction disappears from eBay in no time.

Phil