View Full Version : If you could go back into the 80s for a day...

Dude111
10-07-2009, 09:54 PM
...what would you do?

I would bring 100s of dollars and buy lots of all this

M&Ms plain
Milky Way Bars
3 Musketeers
Hershey Bars (These changed 5 yrs ago to using SOY LECITHIN instead of SOYA LECITHIN (Which they had used for years) and as a result the bars are too sweet))

All the rest have changed since then and taste like crap (SKIM MILK IS USED INSTEAD OF REG MILK)

I would also get a good Walkman :)

Then i guess i would go skating at a roller skating rink (BOY DO I MISS DOING THAT,WE HAVE A RINK IN MY AREA BUT I DO NOT WANNA HEAR THIS CRAP/GARBAGE MUSIC THEY PLAY NOW!!)

Findm-Keepm
10-08-2009, 09:55 PM
I'd stock up on:

- Early RCA color flybacks
- Zenith Convergence Assemblies
- Transistors made from unobtanium (Marantz, Sansui and Pioneer finals)

and I'd set the record straight with a certain young lady I pined for back then.

Cheers,

Charlie
10-08-2009, 10:30 PM
I'd go back and convince myself to buy that big 1949 Chrysler that a guy offered to me for a 1000 dollars! That thing was sweet... I still kick myself in the butt for not buying that car!

Dude111
10-09-2009, 08:26 PM
I cannot believe what im reading on this idiots site (Especially the music section (He cant be serious))

http://web.archive.org/web/20030411072126/http://www.gre.ac.uk/~cp112/main.html

What a freak to say this about the 80s!!

bandersen
10-09-2009, 08:58 PM
He's an idiot - clearly only focusing on the worst of the pop/synth stuff. How about all the great punk bands (Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Minor Threat)? The birth of modern industrial music (Ministry, Front 242, Skinny Puppy)? All the experimental, avante-garde bands (Cabaret Voltaire, Residents, Tuxedomoon, Legendary Pink Dots)? I could go on and on.

There was a lot more going on than the GoGos and Culture Club.

Check out this site: http://rateyourmusic.com/list/patysmen/80s_old_school_industrial_experimental_avant_garde/

Oops - almost forgot hometown heroes - Naked Raygun :guitar:

bandersen
10-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Ah yeah - back to your topic question. I'd definitely hit own of the combo roller rink/arcade/pizza/bowling alleys we used to have. I'd love to visit a real record store again too - like Wax Trax!

bgadow
10-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Tough question:
Everyone told me that cute freshman had a crush on me. Mr. "Low Self-Esteem" never found out. Several girls I should have gotten to know better.

I could spend a day just going around with a camera, taking photos of all the stores, etc, that are now long gone.

There were a ton of old electronics worth picking up. More tube color sets than any of us could handle.

You guys can have the skating rink. My memory is of a lot of giggling girls with big hair that wouldn't give me the time of day, "Beat It" blaring loud, and me unable to even stand up on the rink. (and having one of the workers tell me I had to get out of the way)

Charlie
10-12-2009, 03:07 PM
We still have a skating rink in our area. Used to have 3 of them that I remember... only the one in mid-county still operates. My daughter and I went about 3 or 4 years ago. I was a little out of practice as I left with a few bumps and bruises! :D

Eric H
10-12-2009, 03:19 PM
I'd find myself and tell me to buy eBay, Microsoft and Apple stock, then I'd buy up some CT-100's and Pre War sets at bargain prices.

NowhereMan 1966
10-12-2009, 06:59 PM
We still have a skating rink in our area. Used to have 3 of them that I remember... only the one in mid-county still operates. My daughter and I went about 3 or 4 years ago. I was a little out of practice as I left with a few bumps and bruises! :D

We used to have a skating rink too, my best friend for over 30 years and also one of my bosses at work, he used to be a skate guard there. There was also a budget movie theatre in the same plaza, we watched "Rambo" and "D.A.R.Y.L." for the admission price of $2.00 each. Those were the days.

Dude111
10-13-2009, 01:10 PM
I would love going skating again!! (If they played music NO NEWER than the the 80s)

Kamakiri
10-13-2009, 01:26 PM
I would buy a pair of Jordache jeans, a Sergio Valente polished cotton shirt with the robotic-looking snap collar, and get me a cool 80's vehicle :D

Come to think of it, kinda the same shit I already do, except it's cheaper ;)

Charlie
10-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Come to think of it, kinda the same shit I already do, except it's cheaper ;)

Oh my! I don't feel so bad anymore! :D

Captain Video
10-14-2009, 06:21 PM
I would go to one of those BIG movie theaters, those of the type that are all long gone and out of business, and watch "The Empire Strikes Back" with a big crowd.

After that I would grab as many 1950's TVs I could for free or extremely dirty cheap ( yeah, older collectors told me that in the 80's you could get very early 50's sets here for free or for almost nothing... today... one is lucky enough to find a 1959 set and pay the equivalent of a hundred US dollars for it ).

kx250rider
10-16-2009, 09:52 AM
You guys can have the skating rink. My memory is of a lot of giggling girls with big hair that wouldn't give me the time of day, "Beat It" blaring loud, and me unable to even stand up on the rink. (and having one of the workers tell me I had to get out of the way)

That's the kind of memory I have of '80s "the IN-crowd" places. I just didn't fit in. That's despite the Guess jackets I wore, the Bon Jovi haircut, and all. I probably lived in the wrong neighborhood too... Full of snobs, and since I was into dirt bikes and not golf or polo, I was thought to be the shamed "blue collar" offspring of the family.

So if I could go back, I'd only do so if I could take my age-42 wisdom, and my wife, with me. Otherwise no deal.

Charles

NowhereMan 1966
10-16-2009, 10:36 PM
I would go to one of those BIG movie theaters, those of the type that are all long gone and out of business, and watch "The Empire Strikes Back" with a big crowd.

After that I would grab as many 1950's TVs I could for free or extremely dirty cheap ( yeah, older collectors told me that in the 80's you could get very early 50's sets here for free or for almost nothing... today... one is lucky enough to find a 1959 set and pay the equivalent of a hundred US dollars for it ).

I remember back in the 1980's (and 1970's), the barbershop I went to had a 1950's vintage B&W TV and they always had it on showing a baseball game or an (American) College Football game. I don't recall what brand the set was though. :(

NowhereMan 1966
10-16-2009, 10:39 PM
That's the kind of memory I have of '80s "the IN-crowd" places. I just didn't fit in. That's despite the Guess jackets I wore, the Bon Jovi haircut, and all. I probably lived in the wrong neighborhood too... Full of snobs, and since I was into dirt bikes and not golf or polo, I was thought to be the shamed "blue collar" offspring of the family.

So if I could go back, I'd only do so if I could take my age-42 wisdom, and my wife, with me. Otherwise no deal.

Charles

Yeah, if I went back into my younger self, I'd want to take my 43 year old brain with me too. :) I did have a dream like that once except I went back further, my 43 year old brain went back to 1974 when I was 8. I remember I convinced Mom in my dream that I was from 2009 but my father didn't believe me. There is a story like that, "Time and Again" by H. Beam Piper that he wrote back in the late 1940's.

bandersen
10-16-2009, 10:44 PM

My friends and I went more for the music, burgers and video games than the girls.

:cool: or should that be :nerd: ?

OvenMaster
10-16-2009, 10:45 PM
There's a certain young lady that I'd spend a whole lot more time with. Amazing when I realize that she's now 42.

bgadow
10-19-2009, 08:46 PM
I remember back in the 1980's (and 1970's), the barbershop I went to had a 1950's vintage B&W TV and they always had it on showing a baseball game or an (American) College Football game. I don't recall what brand the set was though. :(

The barber my Dad took me to in that time period had a Westinghouse bw portable sitting on top of a 50s era Coke machine. Classic place. The guy drove a '50 Chevy, as I recall.

tshoejohn
10-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Advise myself to:

Date girls I never knew about
Not date some of the girls I now know about
Pound a bulley into the ground
Keep my ’76 Firebird
Do HS and college the right way
Invest in Microsoft
Never work in the auto industry
Most importantly - Warn 2 friends of tragic accidents
Oh, and buy all the tube gear I can find

similost
10-21-2009, 11:41 AM
I cannot believe what im reading on this idiots site (Especially the music section (He cant be serious))

http://web.archive.org/web/20030411072126/http://www.gre.ac.uk/~cp112/main.html

What a freak to say this about the 80s!!

well no wonder why.. he shows his DOB as 82..

If I could go back, I'd spend the night partying the the nightclub I used to work in.. man oh man did that place rock.. it was THE SPOT in Lubbock just off the Texas Tech campus..

ChrisW6ATV
10-25-2009, 06:49 PM
If it was January 1980, I would pick up the three or four new-in-the-box 15" GE color monitors for sale at the store where I worked:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/ge_4tm15.html

Oh, yeah, I would do things all different with the girls I was too shy about, too.

HeadKnight
10-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Chase that hot red head that used to follow me around.

AUdubon5425
10-29-2009, 05:06 AM
Oh, yeah, I would do things all different with the girls I was too shy about, too.

I'm with you on that, brother.

NowhereMan 1966
10-29-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm with you on that, brother.

Count me in too!

bandersen
04-02-2010, 11:32 PM
I just stumbled across DEVO's youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkZwHVM64qg&NR=1)

I didn't realize they were ever on Letterman. Seeing their cover of the Stone's 'satisfaction' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jadvt7CbH1o) had a big influence on me as a teenager. I know a lot of folks don't care for them, but seeing the wires sticking out of homemade looking instruments really caught my attention back then. I actually made a drum machine for my 'advanced electronics' project in high school. It sorta worked, but I'm not sure what happened to it :scratch2:

sampson159
04-04-2010, 10:33 AM
where do i start?i would keep that ctc5 that we sold.buy the ctc 5 that was offered to me and i didnt want any "ROUND TUBES" back then.keep a flat chassis zenith,d-16 sylvania,e-45 sylvania,buy those two roundies at the volunteers,wells garner combo,1972 el camino,1970 torino cobra jet.
but above all,i wouldnt have said or done some of the careless things i did.
i would tell my wife how much i appreciated her support and how much she meant to me.i never did it then and now i will never get the chance.
as for bryan,forget the girl who had a crush on you.you did very well with kim!

Reece
04-04-2010, 04:47 PM
"Too soon old and too late schmart" say the Pennsylvania Dutch!

Dude111
04-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Now that i think of it,I WOULD DO WHATEVER I COULD TO STAY IN THE 80s!! (1983)

When i could still get FOOD I LOVED!

"Macaroni and cheeder" - MY ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE!! (They have since sold that part of thier company to others (Which have not suprisingly ruined it))

GOOD CANDY!!

I used to love: M&Ms,Milky Ways,Three Muskeeters,Hershey Bars (*)

In the year 2000 THEY CHANGED THE RECIPE TO USING SKIM MILK/MILKFAT AND THEY TASTE LIKE CRAP NOW!!

* - Hersheys changed thier recipe in 2004 from using SOYA LECITHIN TO SOY LECITHIN and the candy is TOO SWEET NOW.... (Theres gotta be a slight difference between soy and SOYA lecithin (I have looked it up and it IS different))

Username1
05-18-2010, 01:24 PM
If I could go back.............. I think I would stay.

Dude111
12-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Hehe i dont blame you ONE BIT MY FRIEND!!!!!

Would you rather go back KNOWING ALL YOU KNOW NOW or have your memory reset to the month/year you go back to? (5/12/1983 would wipe your memory of ALL EVENTS,ETC after 5/12/83)

fifties
12-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Interesting thread, guys.

I personally would LOVE to go back to 1954 and STAY THERE, lol!

But as this thread is about the '80's, well, I would enjoy again tuning my "Personal Earth Station", as we used to call what are today known as 'BUD's", and playing around with the UHF sine wave decoder I designed and built for the one OTA channel we had back then.

I couldn't sub to it because we lived too far away -as far as they were concerned- for decent reception, but I dealt with that by stacking two 4 bay bow tie antennas, and cascading UHF RF amps from one to the other, at the sweetest spot on my roof (took me a few days -at night- to find it, lol).

Used to like to DX with a little 12" B/W Sharp -first TV I bought new- as well. OMG, forgot all about that, hehe.

Dude111
05-23-2015, 11:35 AM
The 80s is when it started going downhill........

Started with digital crap ruining music and then video and just TO THIS DAY continues to get worse........

Jon A.
05-23-2015, 01:26 PM
I'd go back on a trash day and really clean up in curbed 70s/late 60s TVs. I'd throw a few vintage major appliances into the mix as well.

The ladies around my age back then would be too young to do anything about. Besides, I made my interest clear to those I really liked later on but they either led me on deliberately or showed no interest. Same crap still goes on actually.

Telecolor 3007
05-24-2015, 06:21 PM
For a day... that's very hard.
I guess I would by me some cassettes, C.D.'s, vinyls and even L.D.'s, invest in a company that is big today, buy me some magazines. This if I will be turning back somewhere in U.S.A, U.K., West-Germany.
If it would be for Romania... I would love to take a swim at "Izvor" swiming pool complex from Bucharest and walk around that area... which was destroyed by Ceauşescu in the '80's. I would see with my own eyes beatiful places destroyed by a mad man (the destruction of old Bucharest still goes on today... :tears: ).

Jon A.
05-24-2015, 11:34 PM
(the destruction of old Bucharest still goes on today... :tears: ).
Same with where I live, we're losing green space at breakneck speed. I'll be going elsewhere in this province once I'm able to. Plenty of smaller towns that developers can't be bothered with.

Titan1a
05-25-2015, 01:44 AM
By the 80's it was almost all gone.

Telecolor 3007
05-25-2015, 02:22 AM
For a day... that's very hard.
If it would be for Romania... I would love to take a swim at "Izvor" swiming pool complex from Bucharest and walk around that area... which was destroyed by Ceauşescu in the '80's. I would see with my own eyes beatiful places destroyed by a mad man (the destruction of old Bucharest still goes on today... :tears: ).

Same with where I live, we're losing green space at breakneck speed. I'll be going elsewhere in this province once I'm able to. Plenty of smaller towns that developers can't be bothered with.

Ha. I thought there you have very strict construction regulations!
Ceaueşescu riped off about 1/5 of the city. He had the sinister oporutinity given by the Friday 4th of March 1977 earthquaqe.

Jon A.
05-25-2015, 11:48 AM
Ha. I thought there you have very strict construction regulations!
Compared to Bucharest perhaps, but anyone rich and powerful enough can have the regulations changed.

centralradio
05-25-2015, 12:35 PM
1980's was the last good decade of good music ,Good TV shows ,Good movies Good electronics and probably more.1990's was the decade when most of everything started to go to pot.

It must be my age.LOL............................

jbivy
05-25-2015, 01:36 PM
Id tell the old man to not sell his Apple stock! Till the day he died he regretted selling his major share in the company. He decided that computers were a fad and got into real estate speculation!

Telecolor 3007
05-25-2015, 03:18 PM
If I turn back in time in the Romania of the '80's I could sell the electronics from my collection and the cassettes for a real nice price. Not to mention the vinyl records.

Boobtubeman
05-25-2015, 03:42 PM
Think ide buy a warehouse and go buy cheap muscle cars off folks lawns and driveways.
If i had the choice, ide stay in the 80s...

LOTSA good times i remember.....

SR

Username1
05-25-2015, 06:51 PM
1980's was the last good decade of good music ,good tv shows ,good movies good electronics and probably more.1990's was the decade when most of everything started to go to pot.

It must be my age.lol............................

yah ! ! !

Think ide buy a warehouse and go buy cheap muscle cars off folks lawns and driveways.
If i had the choice, ide stay in the 80s...

LOTSA good times i remember.....

SR

yah ! ! !

walterbeers
05-25-2015, 08:09 PM
Like "fiftys" said, I would love to go back to the 80s, or earlier and stay there. Back then I didn't have some many aches and pains and didn't have to take all those nasty prescriptions just to stay healthy. Plus I had a lot more energy, better eyesight, etc. Also the music, if I were to go back even to the 60s, or 70s, had a lot more talent, not just this talent-less rap stuff. Back then and earlier, like when I was a kid, we slept on the front porch during the summer, and didn't have to worry about drive by shootings, and strangers up to no good. Sometimes we didn't even lock our doors at night. I used to enjoy the trips to my Grandmas, the great fried chicken she made (with lard). Electronics repair was a lot more fun. I could go to an electronics store locally and pick up what ever I needed to repair nearly anything I was working on. Life today is just to complicated.

rca2000
05-25-2015, 08:51 PM
Believe I would go back to about September 4th 1985. I hade been blamed for "muling drugs and alcohol" for younger teens in my yourh group. I was blamed by one of it's LEADERS--a woman who I HAD thought of the previous year ...like a "second mother".

She heard a rumor....that I was involved in using drugs one night. at the same time...my sister told HER...that i SAW another girl OLDER than me and who had a car (I did NOT have a car yet--nor a license either) I had SEEN her drinking booze with a couple of my friends AND supplying them with pot--and she SHARED a joint with them. I had ALSO known for a couple of YEARS--that this girl WAS driving younger kids around...to get their cigaretts and beer--as she was several years older than any of us and could get that stuff legally for them.

I had tried to let the Youth pastor know of this....but he ignored me. This girl was BELIEVED to be SUCH a "good influence on others" and liked by many. In FACT...the reason so many people liked her is because she helped them get illicit things !!

Well..when my sister told this woman involved in the youth group what i had seen...and what we BOTH knew... she would NOT believe my sister. INSTEAD...she blamed ME on everything..and began spreading lIES about me. She even tried to convince my MOTHER I had done and pushed drugs...but mom did believe me. NO amount of my trying to convince Carolyn of my innocence would work...she had the narrative out there....and it STUCK.

Soon...parents began not wanting their children near me....because I was a "bad influence on them". my name was RUINED IN the youth group....and church.

Nearly 30 YEARS later--this LIE is STILL believed by many I knew then. they REFUSE to listen to the truth...even TODAY.

SO...if I could go back to the wednesday after labor day of 1985....I WOULD make SURE EVERYONE knew the truth. No matter WHAT I had to do in order to do so!!