View Full Version : Emerson 630?

jeyurkon
10-04-2009, 09:10 PM
I picked up this console today. It's surprisingly light. Can anyone positively identify the model?

https://www.msu.edu/~yurkon/Documents/closed.jpg

https://www.msu.edu/~yurkon/Documents/open.jpg

It's a hot chassis and uses a 12LP4A. The record changer appears to be a VM with three speeds 78/45/33. The cartidge doesn't flip though so it might have been a replacement.

The grill cloth was a darker color matching the wood with gold threads through it. All the knobs are there.

This is going to sit on the back burner for quite awhile. I like consoles but I have other TVs ahead of it. I also don't really have room for it. It is fairly compact for a combination console though.

John

Tubejunke
10-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Thats a nice set! It looks kike it would clean up pretty nice as is with a little scratch cover and a Murphy's bath, followed by Pledge...

Does it work?

jeyurkon
10-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Thats a nice set! It looks kike it would clean up pretty nice as is with a little scratch cover and a Murphy's bath, followed by Pledge...

Does it work?

No, there are a few tubes up to air and some missing. I still need to test the CRT also. I figure a total recap is in order before I try powering it up.

I really just didn't want to see it parted out or junked.

John

David Roper
10-04-2009, 10:18 PM
I have an Emerson combo with the same VM turntable. The single-sided fixed cartridge is original and would have come fitted with an all-speed needle.

The all-speed needle had a 2-mil tip, a dubious compromise between 1-mil for LP and 45 rpm records and 3-mil for 78s.

jeyurkon
10-04-2009, 11:08 PM
I have an Emerson combo with the same VM turntable. The single-sided fixed cartridge is original and would have come fitted with an all-speed needle.

The all-speed needle had a 2-mil tip, a dubious compromise between 1-mil for LP and 45 rpm records and 3-mil for 78s.

Thanks, that'll help me find a needle for it. Though finding the missing thumb nut may be more difficult.

John

jeyurkon
10-05-2009, 09:29 PM
I took a wild guess that the first part of the serial number might be the chassis number. It turned out to be the last part of the chassis number. That let me look it up on samswebsite.

It is a 1951 Model 665B. I'm glad it wasn't a 666. It's too close to Halloween!

The turntable does indeed call for only a single needle. That seems goofy to me. I believe the turntable model is a VM 955. That must be about right since it's a 1951 model also. The cartridge is huge and seems to barely fit. It might be original though.

I have a flip cartridge for a model 951. I'm tempted to install it. I'd have to drill a hole in the end of the tone arm though. Guess I'll leave it original for now.

John

jeyurkon
10-05-2009, 09:50 PM
I wonder how many people this model may have killed.

It is definately a hot chassis. The adjustments under the center panel are not insulated and have metal shafts. The same is true for the size adjustment on the rear.

I don't have the original power cord. It may have been polarized. Did they have polarized outlets in 1951?

John

ChrisW6ATV
10-06-2009, 12:37 AM
I have never seen any polarized outlets nor plugs anywhere near that old.