View Full Version : RCA 52" Projection worth repairing??

PioneerGuy75
09-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Just dug a 52" RCA projection TV out on trash day. Four years old (Sept 2004)

Does not work, seems to power up, something heats up and shuts off.

Is this worth repairing? I see it has a Rent-To-Own sticker on the back :thumbsdn:

"RCA 52" HDTV Monitor Model D52W14 Assembled in Mexico"

More info can be provided if needed.

Thanks

Zenith26kc20
09-18-2009, 10:46 AM
That unit has a great number of "shut-down" circuits. Most likely it has capacitors dried up in the power supply. An ESR meter is needed to check them. Also, vertical is an issue with that TV. If possible, scope the vert output line and make sure it is working. This will shut the set down rapidly as it protects the CRT's. Rent to own means someone paid dearly for it and it may have a million hours on the CRT's.
Another problem is video drive voltage. The power supply fails and the set detects that as the possibility of too much beam current and protects the CRT's by shutting down. These sets can be very frustrating.

PioneerGuy75
09-18-2009, 05:47 PM
An ESR meter is needed to check them.

What is this? I Don't have one....

Thanks for the reply!

Do you think it is worth tinkering with??

RobtWB
09-18-2009, 11:17 PM
May be worth tinkering with, but I would consider it only if the cabinet and screen are flawless.

Your description reads HDTV Monitor. Is that one of the low end sets that require an external tuner?

PioneerGuy75
09-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Is that one of the low end sets that require an external tuner?

yup!:thumbsdn::yuck:

RobtWB
09-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Bummer it being a tunerless set. But not really a big deal either.
Still, if the cabinet, and especially the screen are in really good condition I would certainly give it a second look over. Parts are readily available for these sets, and with the exception of the CRT's aren't terribly expensive.

PioneerGuy75
09-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Ok Thanks for the replies...Still on the fence about this....Certainly don't need any more TV's OR projects!

PioneerGuy75
09-20-2009, 11:02 PM
Anybody know where I can find information online about this set? I cannot even find a general RCA website :scratch2:

I would like to find manual etc for it if possible....

Thanks!:banana:

Zenith26kc20
09-21-2009, 03:09 PM
An ESR meter is a "series equivalent resistance" meter used to check electrolytics in circuit with very little voltage across the probes. It is indispensable when working on modern TV's. I have seen them as cheap as 50 dollars. You simply go across both leads of the electrolytic and it will tell you if it has lost capacitance. I have fixed hundreds of TV's with just that one tool. Once you try one you are hooked forever ;)

PioneerGuy75
09-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks Zenith! Definitly don't have one......yet!!

:beerchug: Cheers! :beerchug:

Findm-Keepm
09-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Anybody know where I can find information online about this set? I cannot even find a general RCA website :scratch2:

I would like to find manual etc for it if possible....

RCA manuals for this set were available only on ESI disks from Thomson. The manual was spread out in their proprietary software, so you can'd get a complete manual without the ESI software installed. I may be able to access a disk ('tis my Dad's old stuff) and take a look - I'll see what I can do.

I'll throw my $0.02 in to say that the ESR meter suggestion is a good one - I got mine in 2000 for $60 and it's paid for itself several hundred times over since then. The DSE (Dick Smith Electronics)/Bob Parker model is the one I have - got it from Anatek - they are still around and still sell them, albeit a newer style model.

Meanwhile, check out http://wa6ati.com/ - scroll down to the RCA section - and look around. Lots of great info for several H52XXX series sets.

Cheers,