View Full Version : Helping eldery gent sort through TV shop stock

diamondsouled
09-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Just moved to a new town and have been introduced to an interesting older gent who has been running a TV sales and repair shop for many years, 30 years in the present location.

He has a pile of stuff. TV modules as well as several Magnavox color cabinet TVs that are brand new. Going into his shop is like going back in time. He also has a variety of TV test gear.

Anything I should be looking out for? My experience is with tube audio and I don't have a much of a clue about TV gear.

Cheers

Lar

kx250rider
09-13-2009, 11:48 AM
The best bet is to try to get photos, and you should be able to sell some stuff, and maybe find homes for some other stuff that isn't worth anything, but that would be a shame to be thrown out.

Any new old stock TV set is of interest, as long as it's at least 20 years old or more, I'd guess. Test equipment is really not worth anything, but if he has any later model test gear, such as B&K CRT testers with the black plastic case, etc., those can be sold. Tubes, CRTs, and knobs also are worthwhile usually. Modules, sadly not, but hate to see them trashed.

Charles

diamondsouled
09-13-2009, 12:09 PM
The best bet is to try to get photos, and you should be able to sell some stuff, and maybe find homes for some other stuff that isn't worth anything, but that would be a shame to be thrown out.

Any new old stock TV set is of interest, as long as it's at least 20 years old or more, I'd guess. Test equipment is really not worth anything, but if he has any later model test gear, such as B&K CRT testers with the black plastic case, etc., those can be sold. Tubes, CRTs, and knobs also are worthwhile usually. Modules, sadly not, but hate to see them trashed.

Charles

Thanks Charles!

I was thinking the same about the modules.

Also was thinking it would be a shame to see all this stuff go to the dump. :tears:

He has some older TV chassis around that have been stripped except for the tube sockets, resistors and caps. I may do some snipping of some of those. Nice Black Beauties, Astrons, Mustard 600V caps are hard to come by and are valued by some people for audio, although I'm not sure I'd use them myself. ;^).

He has a B&K 465 CRT tester, 2 - B&K 1076 Testers, Precision E-200-C RF Signal Marking Generator, Jackson TVG-2 TV Signal Generator.

I've taken a few pictures already and will get some more next week and then post them.

Cheers

Lar

RobtWB
09-13-2009, 12:26 PM
WOW!
How nice.
I am sure all of us would love to see a photo spread.
Not many shops like that left anywhere.
Looks like Charles has already guided you in the right direction as to the equipment.

diamondsouled
09-13-2009, 01:09 PM
WOW!
How nice.
I am sure all of us would love to see a photo spread.
Not many shops like that left anywhere.
Looks like Charles has already guided you in the right direction as to the equipment.

I'm sure the only reason his shop is still there is because he owns the building.

30 years of accumulated TV stuff sure makes one heck of a pile. Good thing he was somewhat organized.

Lots of tubes as well.

I'll likely see what audio tubes there are and put them aside. Not sure what to do with all the TV and radio tubes. He wants to sell them in lots on that auction site. Not sure if they'll fetch all that much though, especially the used ones.

Nice to be able to help him out a bit. I have a feeling he's enjoying going through the stuff as much as I am :D.

Cheers

Lar

bgadow
09-13-2009, 10:31 PM
I've been working with a gentleman like this for most of this year. It has been a really good experience. We won't get many more chances to do this as the age of the TV shop is almost gone.

Things I have had good luck selling for him: flybacks, old stock capacitors (he had a beer flat full of NOS Black Beauties which netted $200), I think the most money I got for him was for a Bird Thruline Wattmeter, $285 as I recall.

TV tubes don't bring huge money but they will sell. I've put them in lots of 50-100 and they seem to fetch $10-15. Other parts: RCA stuff seems to sell best; the Zenith stuff he has from the mid-70s-90s just won't sell. I haven't found a market yet for sattelite (big dish) receivers.

Don't leave any stone unturned. When I first met Tony he said he didn't have any old stuff! Within minutes I was looking at an attic full of TV sets from the 50s-60s. I've been digging around that place for almost a year and have yet to see it all. I was a long time finding the NOS picture tubes, or the NOS CED players.

bandersen
09-13-2009, 11:25 PM
...He has a B&K 465 CRT tester, 2 - B&K 1076 Testers, Precision E-200-C RF Signal Marking Generator, Jackson TVG-2 TV Signal Generator...

Hi Lar,

The Jackson TVG-2 is a really sweet alignment generator. I also noticed a Sprague Tel-Ohmike and RCA Senior Voltohmyst in your first picture - both nice pieces of equipment to have.

Bob

diamondsouled
09-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Hi Bryan and Bob,

Yup, once the few TV shops that are still around are gone it will be the end of an era for sure.

That's why it's like being in a time capsule when I'm in Budd's shop, an odd but interesting feeling.

He's been in this location since the 70's but had others before that. He said that a lot of the old stuff was lost in the moves.

He's still got some service manuals and other paper work I should go through.

Yep he has a Telohmike TO-6, I've got one myself and they're a great cap tester. The VTVM is a B&K 177.

He's also got a lovely B&K 747 tube tester. Unfortunately Budd fried the transformer in it; he said it was a very sad day :tears:. Would probably be good for parts for someone, better than the dump anywho.

I'll ask him about flybacks when I see him later today.

Cheers

Lar

DaveWM
09-14-2009, 01:54 PM
pm sent

Charlie
09-15-2009, 01:51 AM
That shop looks a lot cleaner than the one I went thru several years ago! As Bryan mentioned, look thru everything! It's amazing what you might find burried under a pile of stuff! Even after several trips to our local tv shop, I was still finding cool items that I had previously missed.