View Full Version : two b/w space command Zeniths

Adam
09-13-2009, 11:11 AM
I traded captainmoody his Philco roundie back for these two sets. The first is a 1966 19" 14M27 chassis tabletop set in the metal cabinet. It's got the SC 300, power tuning, uhf, dual speakers, and this cool timer on the side you can set to turn the tv automatically on or off. It's got the original stand too. This one works 100% good as is (there's a sticker on the back saying it was repaired once in '78) I just cleaned it up a bit. I really see no need to pull the chassis, I'm just going to clean up the cabinet a bit more and use it as-is for now.

The one repair it needs are where the plastic buttons broke off on the remote. I think I'm going to try some epoxy like some JB weld on it, I pieced together that broken plastic gear on the power tuning motor on my color Zenith with that stuff and it still works. Also the chrome is flaking off some of the metal portions of the cart, I think I'm going to go and paint all the metal portions on it. But overall I really like this set, it's the ideal bedroom set with both the remote and that cool auto-shutoff mechanism.

The other is the 1961 23" 16G23 in this swivel console cabinet. It has power tuning and the SC300. The cabinet uses this cheap pressed-board stuff on the sides, but it's still a pretty good looking set, and that swivel base is kind of cool. Cabinet needs only some minor touch ups in spots. The tv itself works good. But the remote receiver isn't as sensitive as it should be, and the power tuning down button turns the channel up. I might recap this one anyway when I have a look at the remote receiver, given they didn't use too many paper caps in these sets it wouldn't take too long to do.

Also, is the remote I have on there the one that goes with this set? I'm not sure which version of the SC300 it would have had. The one there does work for this set, but it was just a spare that I had.

dtuomi
09-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Those are neat. I think I like the first pic the best.

David

Adam
09-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks. I'm really starting a collection of early remote sets now: 3 b/w Zenith, 1 color Zenith, 1 color RCA.

After looking more closely at that remote, I saw that what happened was the plastic part with the buttons on it broke in two. The other half being sandwiched under that metal plate riveted on the top. I could drill out the rivets, and then try to glue those plastic pieces back together, then screw the whole thing back on, but because it bends right where it broke when you press the buttons I don't think it would hold for too long. So I bought this other one off of ebay. I'll probably just keep the original unit around for parts now.