View Full Version : Sony KV-1200 and free Zenith metal B&W set in Chicago

maxm
09-12-2009, 02:08 PM
I was at an estate sale this morning on the west side of Chicago. I saw these TVs in the basement, but didn't want to buy anything I didn't have room for. As I was leaving I overheard the people working at the sale that the TVS should be marked free because nobody buys CRT TVs anymore. So I couldn't resist taking the Sony KV-1200U that was down there, I've always wanted an early Trinitron set.
There was also a Zenith metal cabinet B&W set, I would have liked to take that too, but had to leave it, I have no room. I thought somebody might be interested in it, the sale goes on tomorrow too.

I tried the Sony briefly when I got it some and was able to pick up a pretty good picture on analog UHF stations. It needs a good cleaning, its been in the basement a long time. I'll post some pictures of it when it is cleaned up.

Here is more information on the sale:
http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sales/76536.aspx

You can see the Sony and the Zenith in this picture:
http://pictures.estatesales.net/5483/76536/923917.jpg

The house was interesting (to me) too, it appears that when it was built, they started to make the attic into another apartment, but never finished. So the walls are not fully plastered, and there are no doors or finished floorboards. But they installed a toilet, bathtub and kitchen sink. I enjoy seeing spaces like this that have not been touched since they were built (probably in the 1920s) with all original fixtures .

bgadow
09-12-2009, 11:04 PM
That basement sure looks sad. I can smell the mildew from here! Hope somebody can stop by and grab the Zenith...too good of a set to meet a dumpster. Many years back I attended an auction where they had stacks of those sets and nobody wanted them. I would have taken at least one but the truck was too full after my buying spree.

zenithfan1
09-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Wow, I'd like to have that Zenith, even if the set's crap I need a CRT like that (if it's good). Geez, that reminds me, I need to come get that Motorola set:D I totally forgot!

maxm
09-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Here are some pictures of the free Trinitron after I got it cleaned up a bit. There is one tube in the set, a 3AT2 HV rectifier. The flyback looks like new.

It has a very nice picture (much sharper than in the photos here), but the controls will need to be cleaned. At some point the power switch on the volume control was replaced with the toggle switch next to it. There was a screw floating around inside from when they took the set apart to do this.

It's interesting most of these sets that I've seen still have the "push and turn" card behind the tuner.

Mark: That Motorola is still here if you want to pick it up sometime, let me know.

Those Zeniths are good sets, I have a similar one, but I got in enough trouble for bringing home the Sony.

-- Max

andy
09-13-2009, 09:49 PM

zenithfan1
09-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Anyone grab the Zenith?