View Full Version : Saved a 60's Motorola today!

Eric H
08-07-2009, 07:24 PM
I was walking into the SA today and spotted this set sitting in the donation area, I grabbed someone and asked for a price on the spot, $80 - 50% so $40, Sold.

I don't have room for it but I felt I had to take it.

It's in pretty good shape overall, one big scratch on top and a lot of dust but it should clean up nicely.

It has the doors that roll across the front, don't know if it's Drexel or not, don't know the model number either, it either fell off or faded, if anyone knows year and model can you tell me?

I'll check the tube in a bit, it has a cataract starting, hopefully it's not the 23 inch tube that Doug had explode on him.

Eric H
08-07-2009, 07:59 PM
I just got done testing the CRT, it's tired, especially the green gun however I plugged it in and got a nice raster with all three colors visible.'

I suspect it would make some kind of picture if I hooked up a source.

Edit: hooked it up to a DVD player, the tuners touchy but after I got it tuned in it made a decent picture, missing one thing though, the color. :no:

I also found a date code on one of the filter cans, 6547 so built late in 1965, so maybe a 66 model?

N9ZQA
08-07-2009, 09:53 PM
If I remember right, 1965 was the first year for the 23EGP22 so your estimate of 1965 is probably correct.

The 47th week of 1965 is November 21-27.

Nice looking set; that cabinet should clean up quite well. As for the no-color problem, I've seen a lot of PC-board mounted tube sockets with corroded pins. If you can rock the tubes in the color section back and forth and get a glimpse of color, a litttle contact cleaner on the sockets while inserting and removing the tube should do the trick. Sometimes you may have to mechanically clean the sockets too, but moving the tube around usually breaks the accumulated crud loose.

-Jim

jpdylon
08-07-2009, 09:56 PM
nice save. A little work with a beltron would probably make the CRT happy again. Don know about the cataract tho. After seeing doug's encounter I would be a little squeemish.

old_tv_nut
08-07-2009, 09:57 PM
I can't identify the chassis, but three color controls is a giveaway that it used the single-tube color section.

Look here:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=93056&highlight=sodpil

firenzeprima
08-08-2009, 02:04 AM
wonderfull Tv set wow wow wow!!!!!

drh4683
08-08-2009, 07:43 AM
Thats a great find there. I really like 60's moto color sets. Too bad they are about the hardest sets to find.
Yes, the infamous 23EGP22 encounter. Won't forget that day watching a tube "explode" about 1 foot in front of my face. Good memories....

andy
08-08-2009, 09:22 AM

Charlie
08-08-2009, 12:57 PM
That's a nice looking set. I like the color of the wood finish.

Dan Starnes
08-08-2009, 01:35 PM
That is a nice find.

Carmine
08-08-2009, 01:42 PM
it seems to me that a very easy and safe way to remove a bonded safety glass would be to submerge the face of the CRT about 2" deep in a pool of solvent (mineral spirits at the mildest, ranging to MEK at the harshest).

No heat, no physical prying, low amount of danger. The only downside would be having to wait, but then again these sets have been sitting for 30-years, what's a few days? I suppose you shouldn't toss lit cigarettes into the pan or let your cat drink the mix either, so do it outside in a shed or something.

Is everybody just so impatient that they must break out the blowtorch and prybar? :sigh:

fsjonsey
08-08-2009, 02:54 PM
it seems to me that a very easy and safe way to remove a bonded safety glass would be to submerge the face of the CRT about 2" deep in a pool of solvent (mineral spirits at the mildest, ranging to MEK at the harshest).

No heat, no physical prying, low amount of danger. The only downside would be having to wait, but then again these sets have been sitting for 30-years, what's a few days? I suppose you shouldn't toss lit cigarettes into the pan or let your cat drink the mix either, so do it outside in a shed or something.

Is everybody just so impatient that they must break out the blowtorch and prybar? :sigh:

Plain old Kerosene or gasoline would probably work as PVA removal solvents as well. You could use some kind of Livestock syringe with a long needle to inject the solvent behind the safety glass and speed the process up.

jstout66
08-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Nice looking set, but man.... I remember those from back in the day.
Could never understand with such good build quality, why Motorola color sets were such a POS.
Not dogging on anyones like for them, but god they were horrid.
I would pick one up tho if I found one in a thrift store. :)

bgadow
08-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Real encouraging that you found this at the SA. I try to stop in the nearest one when I get down that way...haven't seen a tube TV in there for a couple years now...but if they are still getting donated, well, a good sign.

Seems like these Motos are really turning up lately! I sure wouldn't refuse one! They are a horse of a different color (as is the picture they display!)

Eric H
08-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Here are a few chassis shots, the last one is the chassis number I think, it also says 1 M 66 combined with the date on the filter cap that would seem to confirm a 1966 build date.

I also believe I figured out the no color problem, a 6DX8 in the Color I.F. circuit had cracked and gone to air, I don't seem to have one in my stock so I'll have to wait till I can get one to see if that fixes it.

The chassis seems to be a very high quality unit, no PC boards and point to point wiring that looks remarkably like a Zenith.

Everything is covered in a thick layer of stinky yellow dirt, a smokers set for sure, the Fly looks solid but it's also filthy.

Eric H
08-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Real encouraging that you found this at the SA. I try to stop in the nearest one when I get down that way...haven't seen a tube TV in there for a couple years now...but if they are still getting donated, well, a good sign.

Well I found it in the back area of a SA, it hadn't made it to the floor yet and I didn't know if it would so I took pre-emptive action. :thmbsp:

Possibly since it worked somewhat they might have tried to sell it, I just don't know.

zenith2134
08-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Think about it, in the sixties, everyone must have wanted a COLOR set. Plenty of em still out there, but IMO it takes a tv junkie like us to spot one and properly restore it. Otherwise it will be landfill, fishtank, or sledgehammered for fun. :tears:

Great score.

bgadow
08-09-2009, 09:49 PM
I like the way Motorola always put those clear date codes on the chassis. They came up with some clever ideas but, in my experience, the sum adds up to less than its parts. I really like them, either way.

Everytime I go to the SA or GW I want to sneak a peak in the back. I've mailed flyers to these stores, letting them know what I am looking for, but never got a call. I have seen tube color sets end up on the sales floor in recent years, because they worked. I think if it were old enough they might look at it as a collectable and try to sell it, but a set like this Motorola might not neccesarily strike them as worthwhile.

radiotvnut
08-09-2009, 10:15 PM
About the only way you can get anything from these stores is to stake them out everyday and talk to the workers. I tried to get the SA and another thrift store to save their older non-working TV's for me; but, they said they didn't have the time or space to keep them and any broken TV's would go to the dump unless I happened to be in the store just before they were getting ready to toss them.

Charlie
08-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Everything is covered in a thick layer of stinky yellow dirt, a smokers set for sure, the Fly looks solid but it's also filthy.

It's sometimes surprising how something as simple as cleaning out all the dust with a vacuum and small brush can make things work that did not work before. My CM roundie wouldn't tune in a thing until I cleaned out the layer of dryer lint from the chassis. Hopefully, this will bring your set back to life... and of course, replacing a cracked tube might help as well.

Eric H
08-11-2009, 09:36 PM
I got the new 6DX8 today, plugged it in and got some color!
These pictures probably look a little better than what's actually on the screen, a Digital camera always seems to brighten things up a bit, the middle picture is probably the closest to correct.

Notice the little orange light below the UHF tuner, it's a Color indicator light that only comes on when the broadcast (or DVD in this case) is in color, it works properly too!

Charlie
08-12-2009, 12:21 AM
Pretty cool, Eric! The color indicator.... did it come on before you installed the new tube?

Eric H
08-12-2009, 02:20 AM
Pretty cool, Eric! The color indicator.... did it come on before you installed the new tube?

No, it wasn't working with the bad tube, I noticed it came on today when I hooked up the DVD player.

The purity was a little off but I couldn't use the Degausser in a room full of VHS tapes!