View Full Version : Question about new LCD TV's

vinljnkie
07-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Hey guys! I read this forum all the time but rarely post anything but I figure I can get some expert opinions here about my question. Here's the situation, My father is about to replace his 1996 vintage bpc 25" Zenith at their summer home as it is dying(Big surprise there). He is looking at getting a smallish, maybe 32", LCD to replace it. Here's the problem, their summer place is in New Hampshire and isn't winterized. The old Zenith could survive being frozen every winter with no problems but can a LCD display survive the same thing? Since the L in LCD stands for Liquid I'm concerned the display might react adversely to being frozen solid for 3-4 months a year. Don't know if anybody here has any experience with this but would appreciate any input you can offer before he goes and makes a purchase and the set dies over the winter.

jeyurkon
07-26-2009, 04:39 PM
If you google this you'll find a huge variety of opinions. I doubt that the Liquid Crystal will suffer permanent damage. At least the ones used in auto displays don't even where they experience -40F.

However, a TV size LCD screen might have problems with the different thermal coefficients of expansion of the different materials. The glass may crack. Most electronics state an environmental storage temperature. If you can find that for the set you're interested in, I'd go by that. Or at least not exceed it by too much.

How's that for a non-answer?

John

vinljnkie
07-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the "non-answer". I can understand how the differences in the expansion contraction rates of various materials could put stress on the display depending on how and what it is mounted to in the set. That seems to be a valid point at least as a possibility of what could happen. Maybe I should call this mom and pop TV sales and service shop near my parents that's been in business over 40 years and see what they recommend. I think I'd get better information from them than from the teenager at Best Buy. It is probably possible for my brother or I to baby sit the TV over the winter but then you have to worry about damaging it by moving it every spring and fall.

zenithfan1
07-26-2009, 06:19 PM
If it's only used occasionally or seasonally, why not pick up a nice 90's BPC or newer flat tube set from CL or something. Just a thought on a cheap way to go that works.

vinljnkie
07-26-2009, 06:53 PM
I thought of that right away but my father is one of those who wants the latest thing. He has a 40" Panasonic 1080 plasma in FL and kind of hates coming north to his 25" Zenith. Considering the cable system they have here I don't know why he wants an LCD. It is so old and antiquated that it doesn't even offer HD service. In fact their standard service is so snowy many of the channels are unwatchable. Maybe he plans to get a dish.

zenithfan1
07-26-2009, 07:08 PM
He'd better get dish or he's wasting his money. Don't get directv BTW, I have about three hundred thousand reasons why not. Snowy cable looks REALLY bad on an LCD or flatie of any kind. Get C band dish, those are fun.:) or maybe dish network. But what about the off months? Cancel service for those months? Can't with directv because of their HORRIBLE contract.

vinljnkie
07-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Don't know if you can put Dish Network on seasonal hiatus or not but that is something to look into before signing up with any service

radiotvnut
07-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I can't recomment DirecTV either. My $49 package ended up costing $70 after everything was said and done. I also had to bug the heck out of them to turn the premium channels off after the free trial period expired. After I terminated my service, it took them forever to send the prepaid shipping boxes to return the receivers and I still had to go into my private stash of packing supplies to properly wrap up each receiver so it wouldn't get smashed in transit. Then, they still had the nerve to call me, informing me that they never got their equipment back and that I owed them money and that they were turning it over to collection. I ended up telling them a thing or two and told them never to call my number again! I'd do without TV before I used them again.

Dave A
07-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Vinl,

Here in Philadelphia, I have 75 15" LCD sets from LG installed outside where I work. They are under an overhang so do not get direct snow or ice. And after five winters outside, only a few have quit. And those were from corrosion from the high humidity here. And some from just being LG.

Sometimes I would check them during the winter and the only thing I noticed is that the backlight would be dim in the cold for a few minutes until it warmed up.

The Liquid in LCD is a layer that is just a few molecules thick. Not like a bottle of wine you forgot in the freezer.

And if you keep the power to the set, it will have some voltage running around and enough to keep it slightly warm especially if it is inside. Go for it.

Dave A

vinljnkie
07-27-2009, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the info Dave. Guess it will probably be ok if they get one. Only problem is they turn the power off for the winter as the house was built in the 20's and has a lot of original wiring but I don't think it would make much difference temperature wise to the set. I already told them to avoid all the Funai brands as well as Visio as I have read here they are of shady build quality. Told them they are better off with a Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, Sharp etc. name brand set.

Designdweeb
07-27-2009, 07:14 AM
FWIW, a local repairman said that from his perspective, get a Panasonic, considering picture and build quality, ease of operation, and frequency and cost of repairs and parts.